Stupid question. How do you turn music...just...OFF!?

riff42

:
2016 CX-5 GT. Deep, holy crap that is dark, blue.
Just picked up my 16 CX5 GT with all the bits and bobs. But....how in the world do I just turn off the music? There isn't an on/off button. The manual doesn't help. I will be listening only to xm and USB. Mute doesn't seem to pause....Just mute.
It's kind of scary that the owners manual for a car is over an inch thick. Ha.

So yeah..thanks for answering a crazy question.

Not a crazy question cause I'm another one who doesn't know the answer lol. I've just been hitting mute to turn it "off". Hopefully someone can chime in.

You can't, I'm afraid. I checked with Mazda support directly. I understand that the "system" needs to be on for the backup camera, other safety settings, and phone features, but why there isn't an Entertainment Audio Off switch is beyond me.

I switch to the radio (the USB or Bluetooth will just start playing the next time I get in the car) turn the radio volume to zero. That's as close to off as you can get.

This is my biggest gripe after a month of ownership, so... not the end of the world.

(Edited for clarity.)

Last edited:
Interesting. But you say if you just tune in the radio, next time you start up, it'll automatically go back to usb? I'll try this today.

I meant, if I ended a trip while using the USB input, and hit pause, the next time I jump in the car and start it, the USB song with automatically start playing from where it left off. The pause command gets deleted.

I find it annoying to start off to work the next morning and having the audio input start on it's own. I want an OFF or a persistent PAUSE feature!

Cut the end off a junk pair of headphones and leave it plugged in to the aux input. Then set the audio source to aux when you want media off. Not exactly an elegant solution, but it will work... unless of course you actually use the aux input.

I also find this lack of official "off" bizarre, but find myself now just pausing the music when I occasionally want peace and quiet but don't want to just mute and have my phone (connected via USB or BT) continue past the current song.

My BMW e60 is the same way. It's because of the systems, Mazda being Infotainment system and BMW idrive. The only way they could have solved the problem is to run a power line directly to the amp with a power button, but then you probably wouldn't have sound for anything. Doesn't bother me, just a tap on the volume knob and it's muted. Not a big deal.

Not sure about other cars with screens, but thinking most would be set up the same way. Maybe someone could chime in about other makes and models.

My BMW e60 is the same way. It's because of the systems, Mazda being Infotainment system and BMW idrive. The only way they could have solved the problem is to run a power line directly to the amp with a power button, but then you probably wouldn't have sound for anything. Doesn't bother me, just a tap on the volume knob and it's muted. Not a big deal.

Not sure about other cars with screens, but thinking most would be set up the same way. Maybe someone could chime in about other makes and models.

The 13-15 models will pause bluetooth when the audio is pushed off, and resume when pushed back on.

-Turn volume down to 0
-Change screen to your favorite screen if you don't want to see the music titles. Navigation, MPG statistics, the home menu.....

Not sure if anyone already mentioned this or not, but I will say it anyway. I just got the 2016 Mazda6 GT this week and just realized that everyone has the same issue.

I resolved this by buying a Male-to-male 3.5mm cable and simply plugging into the Aux port. The infotainment system will think something is connected. I simply change the audio source to Aux to turn the radio "off".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back