Stumbling from 2500-3000 rpm

Jickywoo

:
2003.5 Mazdaspeed Protege
My MSP has been majorly hesitating from 2500 to around 3000 rpm lately. It doesn't happen at all when you first start the car up but when the car warms up it starts to happen and progressively gets worse the warmer it gets. The problem has gotten worse over time, at first it was just a small hiccup, now it stumbles constantly through that rpm range. I thought it might be fuel cut so I installed an SSAFC but that didn't help at all. Already tried plugs, coil packs and wires, also tried a new coolant temp sensor, no help.
Any ideas?

get the canadian egr, i had a gang of problems until i changed that thing

So I went through and changed the plugs, got some new ngk wires, new coilpacks, new O2 sensors, new coolant temperature sensor...nothing is helping it at all. Don't feel like dropping $100+ on the Canadian EGR but I might... Is there anything else I should check first? Any sensors I'm missing? I don't know what else it could be unless my wiring is messed up somewhere or my valves are screwed up or something.

What did you gap the plugs at?

What tune is on the AFC? Have you connected it to a laptop to verify the tune? Sounds like the normal hesitation my car had before the SSAFC.

I loaded the SuperMapStock tune onto the SSAFC. I have connected it to the laptop and gotten some logs while its happening too.

Then it could be something sticking open at 2500 such as EGR or even VICS. I still am leaning towards the tune, properly gapped plugs were my first guess.

egr or vics most plausible problems. I belive you could zip the vics open and drive the car see how it reacts. Tune i dout it unless hes changed the cars intake and exhaust so extremely that he hits fuel cut at 2500 rpms

Could partly be heatsoak but since it's after the car warms up it sounds more like the EGR sticking open.

I know it sounds crazy but I almost completely eliminated that problem by cleaning out my MAF wth electronic cleaning spray

its not crazy just dirty but its strange that you have the issue after warm up. Your maf just did not like running at that low of a voltage. But it could have been so dirty that it could not register that low air volume passing by. I still recommend the canadian egr when you get the chance because sooner or later you gotta do it.

I tried unplugging the EGR and the VICS solenoid and the problem is exactly the same with either of them unplugged, no difference.

So I had a thought, maybe my IAT sensor is bad. Not sure how much that little sensor does. My only other idea is heatsoak which was mentioned before.

Latest posts

Back