Study: Ford, GM quality surpass Honda

Kymerik

:
2003.5 Mazda Protege5
Domestic automaker quality - at least for Ford and General Motors - is reaching near-Toyota levels, according to a recent initial quality study by Michigan-based RDA Group. During the first three months of ownership, Ford and GM placed second and third, respectively, behind Toyota, on a survey of things gone wrong during the first three months of ownership in 2009. Honda scored fourth.

The study was commissioned by Ford for internal benchmarking, not marketing purposes. The automaker says that RDA Group is paid to produce accurate data.

Fords three domestic brands combined for an average of 1,228 things gone wrong per 1,000 vehicles during the first quarter of 2009, a roughly 5 percent improvement over the year before.

Honda and Toyota did tie for first on overall satisfaction, which looks at customer satisfaction in addition to quality. Ford finished second with 79 percent satisfaction, while Honda and Toyota tied with 81 percent satisfaction.

A study commissioned by Ford, using a Michigan-based company, studying problems encountered during the first 3 months of ownership?

Regardless of the probable bias in this study what does the first 3 months of ownership prove? Most people are still figuring out how to use the radio 3 months into owning a car, and really no car should score poorly at that point. The real test is 3 years later once the warrantee is over and anything that does go wrong has to get fixed out of your pocket.

fail

i dot buy it.... i think his is a resort to improve sales in their bad times

A study commissioned by Ford, using a Michigan-based company, studying problems encountered during the first 3 months of ownership?

Regardless of the probable bias in this study what does the first 3 months of ownership prove? Most people are still figuring out how to use the radio 3 months into owning a car, and really no car should score poorly at that point. The real test is 3 years later once the warranty is over and anything that does go wrong has to get fixed out of your pocket.

+1

Wow, after 3 months of ownership? Congratulations, you made a car that held together for 90 days. I guess that shows that quality of construction isn't abominable, but not much else.

Measure it at the 500 or 1000 day mark and let's see where Ford & GM are then. We might be able to see who's got the more reliable product then.

I think it's hysterical they posted that article, especially since it's supposedly JUST for internal use

My cars

2007 Pontiac G5.
1 year after owning: keyless entry died, brain was replaced and 3 montsh later if failed again. now they say its bad trasponders but since we changed the batterys ourselves, that we voided the warrenty and they are$350 each to replace.

18 months after owning: Redefroster stops working...fuse is blown.
Fuse is replaced, now the defroster works if you hit the button JUST right, and many times.

24 months: The liscense plate lights are out..bulbs are fine, fuse is fine
Radios volume control knob no longer works sometimes. It kind of does what it likes.

2006 toyota tundra
After 33 months: no work has ever been required.
Only problem is a belt squeeks when its wet. I have not been so motivated to have it looked at in over a year. Its under warrenty...I am just never at a dealer and have time to wait around.

It reminds me of the studies commissioned by Microsoft that show just how great, reliable, and secure their operating systems and software are.

This is funny, now if this posting would have been negative on Ford and GM you all would have been posting things like "That's not new".

The fact is that the quality of their cars have improved. My mother has a 08 TL, the first week she had it the drivers window messed up. Does that mean all Acura's suck? NO. Then the front bumper cover was loose. They fixed that and it's been a great car. And this is initial quality, so three months is more then enough time.

^^ that is correct. This is an initial quality study, which is perfectly valid. And yes, Ford and GM (Ford more than GM, from what I've read) have made great strides in quality.

really though, how many cars act up the first three months... my family have bought 3 new toyotas, 2 ravs, and non of them acted up especially in the first 3 months, im not saying theyre perfect... initial study? at least make it the first 12 months or 10k miles

I think initial quality is important to grow confidence in the brand new car you've purchased.

My 1st Mazda5 (06, purchased on July 05) had all the major issues during the 1st 3-5 months of ownership: 2 major recalls, a couple of TSBs and a defective hatch strut. That led me to believe that Mazdas were a POS, but after those incidents no other major issues have occurred plus I found another dealer where service is good, so I ended up buying a 2nd one years later.

In addition, it also depends on what model you are buying. My 06 is the first year model of a 2nd gen car (a lot of new design crap), so bugs will show up for sure.

On my 2nd car most of those earlier bugs have been clearly fixed. That car has had no issues (yet, LOL) and there is only one TSB released (which I have not experienced) if I'm not mistaken.

Initial quality definition:

The Initial Quality Study serves as the industry benchmark for new-vehicle quality measured at 90 days of ownership. The study is used extensively by vehicle manufacturers worldwide to help them design and build better vehicles and by consumers to help them in their vehicle purchase decisions. Initial quality has been shown over the years to be an excellent predictor of long-term durability, which can significantly impact consumer purchase decisions. The study captures problems experienced by owners in two distinct categories—quality of design and defects and malfunctions.

The study finds that 86 percent of the overall improvement is due to advances in eliminating defects and malfunctions. Minimizing design problems remains a major challenge for the industry, particularly since new technology, such as navigation and entertainment devices, is becoming increasingly common in today’s new vehicles.

Source:
http://www.jdpower.com/corporate/news/releases/pressrelease.aspx?id=2008063

Good post!(thumb)

I think initial quality is important to grow confidence in the brand new car you've purchased.

My 1st Mazda5 (06, purchased on July 05) had all the major issues during the 1st 3-5 months of ownership: 2 major recalls, a couple of TSBs and a defective hatch strut. That led me to believe that Mazdas were a POS, but after those incidents no other major issues have occurred plus I found another dealer where service is good, so I ended up buying a 2nd one years later.

In addition, it also depends on what model you are buying. My 06 is the first year model of a 2nd gen car (a lot of new design crap), so bugs will show up for sure.

On my 2nd car most of those earlier bugs have been clearly fixed. That car has had no issues (yet, LOL) and there is only one TSB released (which I have not experienced) if I'm not mistaken.

Initial quality definition:

The Initial Quality Study serves as the industry benchmark for new-vehicle quality measured at 90 days of ownership. The study is used extensively by vehicle manufacturers worldwide to help them design and build better vehicles and by consumers to help them in their vehicle purchase decisions. Initial quality has been shown over the years to be an excellent predictor of long-term durability, which can significantly impact consumer purchase decisions. The study captures problems experienced by owners in two distinct categoriesquality of design and defects and malfunctions.

The study finds that 86 percent of the overall improvement is due to advances in eliminating defects and malfunctions. Minimizing design problems remains a major challenge for the industry, particularly since new technology, such as navigation and entertainment devices, is becoming increasingly common in todays new vehicles.

Source:
http://www.jdpower.com/corporate/news/releases/pressrelease.aspx?id=2008063

Back