1st Mazda: CX-90 Turbo S PP Artisan Red on Tan

I got a '14 Mazda3 sGT (2.5NA) Soul Red.
(1st gen Soul Red. I heard it got even better with later gens)
It is absolutely beautiful under direct sun lights.

For you current CX-90 owners, how many of you got the 2nd row captain's chairs instead of bench? I prefer bench myself since I need max passenger + cargo space.

I did captains but that’s cause our kids are 21 (out of the house)18 and 16 with their own cars. So it’s usually only 4 adults max for us. Sounds like bench is best for your needs. Nice to have options.

I did captains but that’s cause our kids are 21 (out of the house)18 and 16 with their own cars. So it’s usually only 4 adults max for us. Sounds like bench is best for your needs. Nice to have options.
Not the way Mazda has done it. The top of the line 3.3 Turbo S Premium Plus only comes in captain's chairs. :(

Yes it is soul red. I have test drove the Pilot trailsport twice (that’s all the dealers have for demos around here). The pilot rode softer but also had more body roll. Probably expected from a trailsport trim but I couldn’t find a EXL to test drive. Road noise in the trailsport was louder than the CX-90. The pilot also seemed to resonate tire slapping in the cabin on road expansion joints. Acceleration was fine but didn’t feel as direct or responsive. The interior was fine but stitching on the leather seats wasn’t straight. I found multiple paint blemishes on a display EXL at the dealer and the panel gaps varied quite a bit. In general it was fine but didn’t excite me or make me feel like I was buying something special for myself like the CX-90 does. Here is a shot with morning sun hitting a rear quarter panel after a wash.

Soul Red is amazing. In the right light is looks like the car is wrapped in foil, it’s so brilliant.

I agree with the overall comments about the Trailsport. I noticed the tire noise and body roll. I can confirm that the Elite, with lower ride height and street oriented treads is noticeably quieter and the ride is firmer with less body roll. I was impressed with the calibration of the iVTM AWD and how it keeps the rear wheels powered. The CX-90 is still better but the Elite closes the gap.

What’s pushing me towards the CX-90 is what you mentioned - most other vehicles I looked at don’t feel as special. I keep noticing all the Pilots around me everyday. I like that a fellow CX-9 is a rare sighting as I’m sure the CX-90 will be. I don’t want to see myself coming and going.

Yes it is soul red. I have test drove the Pilot trailsport twice (that’s all the dealers have for demos around here). The pilot rode softer but also had more body roll. Probably expected from a trailsport trim but I couldn’t find a EXL to test drive. Road noise in the trailsport was louder than the CX-90. The pilot also seemed to resonate tire slapping in the cabin on road expansion joints. Acceleration was fine but didn’t feel as direct or responsive. The interior was fine but stitching on the leather seats wasn’t straight. I found multiple paint blemishes on a display EXL at the dealer and the panel gaps varied quite a bit. In general it was fine but didn’t excite me or make me feel like I was buying something special for myself like the CX-90 does. Here is a shot with morning sun hitting a rear quarter panel after a wash.
I love Mazda paint quality as well as their unique paint characteristics. I have a CX-90 PHEV with Artisan Red with white interior. OMG it blows me away when in the sun as it has all these angles that really pop. Better decision versus the Honda. I switched to Mazda after having a 22 Lincoln Corsair and there is no comparison. The Lincoln has a great ride but nothing close to the CX-90. The Lincoln has great quiet interior. The tech is good but I have a large number of serious recalls they had not fixed by the time I got the Mazda. They still have not fixed the engine fire issue according to a buddy who just traded his in.

For you current CX-90 owners, how many of you got the 2nd row captain's chairs instead of bench? I prefer bench myself since I need max passenger + cargo space.
Captain chairs for me. Love the looks. Don't need the third row seats and fold them down.

Back