Study: Are yellow cars stolen less often?

:
2006 Mazda Speed6
yellowx-wide-community.jpg

If you want to feel really strange, drive a blindingly bright yellow car. As Drive On found out in the past week, you stand out like a sore banana. But then we spied an upside: who would dare steal a yellow car?

There's no mistaking the Audi S4 -- especially when it's yellow
audicarx-large.jpg

By Chris Woodyard/Drive On
The downside of a driving a yellow car is you become convinced everyone is looking at you. Lose your car in the parking lot? Not a chance. But the Huffington Post pointed out the upside over the weekend: no one would dare steal it. If the police car radio squawked with the report of a just-stolen yellow car, the cops could probably get it back faster than you can say LoJack. Huffpo points to a Dutch study about how pink bicycles rarely get stolen compared to more mundane colors, then tries to draw the comparison to cars. Reasonable enough. We felt like we were finding out first-hand what the study was talking about:

Drive On has been tooling around Los Angeles in the past week in a stunning yellow Audi S4. If it were just another $59,150 sport sedan, it would fit right in with the mish-mash of Mercedes-Benzes and BMWs. But as a yellow car, it basically screamed out the attention -- as if its lightning acceleration wasn't enough.

One expert points out that yellow cars are about the only ticket to distinctiveness in a world filled with bland, earth-colored cars.

"You only see yellow cars in terms of new cars like semi-high performance," says Tom duPont, publisher of the duPont Registry, a monthly guide of rare cars. "You never see a yellow Buick."

One good reason: the color is so out of fashion that yellow cars could garner less on resale, the Dutch study points out.

I have an '02 Victory Yellow Vette Convertible and surprisingly I had heard that yellow Corvettes are the most stolen Vette.

Taxis are less prone to be stolen, resale value is too low... :D

^ haha yeah its true who wants a taxi any ways. but going back to yellow car's I think that yellow cars are a minority I will like to know if there is an statistic of how many yellow cars are made each year because I dont see that many on the streets. And if I am not wrong the majority of yellow cars are sport cars

Tell that to every Type R owner who has had their yellow Type R stollen.

I think the HypeR is a bit of an outlier. While many of them have been stolen, they're likely not a very high percentage of total thefts-of-yellow-cars, much less total car thefts period. That said, you could probably paint a TypeR bright pink and it'll still probably get stolen if parked outside...

ya know, could be because there are LESS yellow cars in the world. kind of an unfair study IMO and pretty biased also.

I'd like to see these studies and then i'd my my decision turn to agree.

ya know, could be because there are LESS yellow cars in the world. kind of an unfair study IMO and pretty biased also.

I'd like to see these studies and then i'd my my decision turn to agree.

I feel like you didn't read the OP...

1. It's not a study
2. There was not a study.
3. No one did a study.
4. Duh. If it were a study, do you think people who do statistical studies don't understand simple proportions & ratios (i.e. the basics of statistics)?

Last edited:
I feel like you didn't read the OP...

1. It's not a study
2. There was not a study.
3. No one did a study.
4. Duh. If it were a study, do you think people who do statistical studies don't understand simple proportions & ratios (i.e. statistics)?

lol i meant to the one done on the bike's (pink v. non pink) and them tying it to cars. and glad to know someone knows about stat's dealing with research lol. had to take 2 classes on it just to write one paper in college.

lol i meant to the one done on the bike's (pink v. non pink) and them tying it to cars. and glad to know someone knows about stat's dealing with research lol. had to take 2 classes on it just to write one paper in college.

lol, I'm a finance major. Lots of stats and calc. ;)

Back