Struts for RB Springs- Not Tokico or Eibach- Suggestions?

dharman

I am going to be lowering my car here in the next bit with the Racing Beat Coils. Now because the drop is so minor and I don't autox or anything I was wondering if there is a bit better of a strut without going to a Tokico or Eibach. The car is just a daily driver so I don't need anything too fancy. I am only really looking to lose a bit of wheel gap without spending a lot for struts.

Any suggestions?

stock struts should be fine with the RB springs. HOWEVER, depending on how many miles you have on your stock struts you might want to replace them while you are doing the springs. AND, tokico HP's (blues) actually cost the same or less than sstock replacements.

dharman said:
I am going to be lowering my car here in the next bit with the Racing Beat Coils. Now because the drop is so minor and I don't autox or anything I was wondering if there is a bit better of a strut without going to a Tokico or Eibach. The car is just a daily driver so I don't need anything too fancy. I am only really looking to lose a bit of wheel gap without spending a lot for struts.

Any suggestions?
There's a lot to this so hang on to your hat. First, what do you mean by "Racing Beat Coils?" People commonly refer to MP3 and MSP springs as RB springs, but in fact they're not. They are different from the prototype MP3 springs which RB currently sells.

If you use MSP springs (0000-8M-C13) with anything other than MSP struts (0000-8M-C14), the rear will drop more than the front, making the car look a little goofy. That's because the rear MSP struts have their spring perch mounted a little higher than stock P5 struts, Tokico HPs and Illuminas. This may also be true for MP3 springs and struts, but I can't verify. Maybe someone else knows?

The stock MSP and MP3 struts are the same color as Tokico HPs and are indeed made by Tokico, but the differ from HPs in their valving (HPs have higher damping rates) and the rear spring perch location.

The stock P5 struts are valved relatively agressively, so they'll be ok with springs that are up to about 20% stiffer than stock. But they will wear faster.

Unfortunately, there aren't too many springs that fit into this stiffness category and are designed for the standard spring perch height. They include iON Performance Sport springs, real RB springs, and Tein H-Techs. You'll probably be ok on stock struts using these springs, but it's better to go with Tokicos.

[/coredump]

Back