Struts and springs option question

stivine6

:
2001 Mazda Protege ES
Hey guys trying to do some research on getting some struts + spring combo to lower my mp3 by spring/summer time.

I'm thinking of getting tokico blues but at the same time I found a set of 4x kyb gr2 struts for $200 on amazon and that got me thinking. So would the kyb gr2 work on the mp3? On amazon it says

Features
CONVENIENT 4 piece KIT for 8/00 - 02 MAZDA Protege
Includes 4 KYB GR2 / ExcelG Part Numbers: 333351 333350 333276 333277
ALL Models (Exc. MP3);

But now on eBay it says includes all models of the protege with the same part number. So what are my options here? Will they work on the protege mp3 with the sway bars?

These will be paired with tein s tech or eibach pro kit

They won't handle as good as the tokicos by any means, but if you're broke and don't mind sacrificing one of the best things about the mp3 then the kybs will work without issue

Thanks for the info. Yeah I'm aware I'll be sacrificing handling but at the same time the shocks that my car came with right now aren't even tokico blues and being able to order kyb's at ~$200 shipped turns things around.

But anyways that's an option for me that I'm considering if I can find a set of tokico blues at a good price I would definitely go with that.

But does anyone know for sure that the kyb gr2 part number 333351-333350 and 333276 333277 works for the MP3? Because I'm seeing it as "exc. mp3 and mazdaspeed protege" in most cases while some site says fits all models of the protege??

How about a set of OEM MSP Tokico Blues w/42k miles and Racing Beat springs??? I've got a set!

They will fit your car, they only say they don't fit the MSP and MP3 because they will sag in the rear if you use the stock MSP/MP3 RB springs. You are fine since you are replacing the springs and honestly KYB is a good brand, no worse than Tokico and I doubt you will notice a difference in handling.

How about a set of OEM MSP Tokico Blues w/42k miles and Racing Beat springs??? I've got a set!

Pm'd

They will fit your car, they only say they don't fit the MSP and MP3 because they will sag in the rear if you use the stock MSP/MP3 RB springs. You are fine since you are replacing the springs and honestly KYB is a good brand, no worse than Tokico and I doubt you will notice a difference in handling.

ahh finally i've been looking everywhere for that answer! For sure i will be getting different springs possibly eibach pro kit. tein-s, or apex because i want to go slightly lower this time around. I ran evotions on my last protege with a 1.25 drop all around and found that the front sits too high for my liking while the rear was perfect.

Back