Need new shocks and struts on 2016 Touring - Questions

:
2016.5 CX-5 Touring
Hello -- it's been a while since I posted in this forum. My 2016 CX-5 Touring has 104K miles on it and still runs great. I've been told though that some tire bouncing I have is b/c my shocks and struts are worn and needs replaced. The shop I generally go to for oil changes quoted me $1400, and I called another shop who quoted me $1700. I then contacted a local mechanic I know who said he'd do it for me for under $300 in labor if I bought the parts. So I've been researching parts and know I need the whole assembly for the front. I've found this assembly on Amazon for $169:

And the KYB Excel-G shock absorbers for the back for $99.

First of all, are those the only parts I need to provide the mechanic? Should I also replace sway bars? Will that be significantly more labor? And, why on EARTH is there a price difference of almost a thousand dollars, between having my garage do it, versus having someone do it with parts I provide?

TIA for any answers.

Hello -- it's been a while since I posted in this forum. My 2016 CX-5 Touring has 104K miles on it and still runs great. I've been told though that some tire bouncing I have is b/c my shocks and struts are worn and needs replaced. The shop I generally go to for oil changes quoted me $1400, and I called another shop who quoted me $1700. I then contacted a local mechanic I know who said he'd do it for me for under $300 in labor if I bought the parts. So I've been researching parts and know I need the whole assembly for the front. I've found this assembly on Amazon for $169:

First of all, are those the only parts I need to provide the mechanic? Should I also replace sway bars? Will that be significantly more labor? And, why on EARTH is there a price difference of almost a thousand dollars, between having my garage do it, versus having someone do it with parts I provide?

TIA for any answers.
$1,400? $1,700? That’s for front strut and rear shock replacement? The inflation is really going through the roof nowadays! Do you have Brakes Plus in your area?

At 104K miles, it’s not too early to get struts and shocks replaced at front and rear. Rear shocks on CX-5 seem to be problematic and many have failed early. There’re so many versions、revisions、and even TSBs on rear shocks on CX-5. And be aware if you have broken top mount on rear shocks which happens quite often on gen-1 CX-5, you can only get the OEM rear shocks as after-market rear shocks don’t include the top mount.

Broken Driver (Rear) Strut/Shock Absorber

If you’re getting parts and have someone else doing it, you can get front struts only and reuse the springs which will be cheaper. Get OEM or name brand after-market struts and shocks such as KYB or Koni (expensive).

Do read this entire thread and you’ll find many helpful informations on struts and shocks for CX-5:

CX-5 Strut/Shock replacement

You only need to supply your mechanic 2 shocks and 2 struts. Stabilizer bars do not wear out.

You may want to buy OEM bump stops if the shocks don't come with new ones.

Your CX-5 deserves way better than KYB.

TIA for any answers.
Shops make there $$$ on parts not labor. You might let your mechanic take a look and tell you want you need to replace. LIke you might wanna replace the springs too

Back