storage trays over the spare tire?

CaboWabo

:
2016 Mazda CX-5 Touring FWD Bose/moonroof, sonic silver
From pics and videos online I noticed that the European CX-5's have a styrofoam storage compartment tray over the spare tire. Looks really handy to be able to store more emergency supplies, first aid, jumper cables, etc. I wonder why the US vehicles don't have this? Also does anyone know if you can buy these trays aftermarket anywhere that fit in the US vehicles?

173770_15.jpg

Last edited:
Is there an actual spare tire under that tray or does the tray take up the space a tire ordinarily would?

I wish we could get the rear storage system, not the one pictured but the one with the rails in the floor that you can put an adjustable railing into or a strap.

Doesn't your stuff rattle around and make noise?

I keep a white towel over the spare tire rim to keep other stuff from scratching and rattling. I figure it is good to have one in case I need one or someone else needs it. Not sure if a white towel is used anymore these days:

Link

Always interesting to see what is available around the world. I remember watching an Australian CX-5 video and the reviewer was talking about the absence of a full size spare. I do go off-road some and a full size spare would be nice but in no way a deal killer for me.

Just a side note... remember to check your spare tire air pressure. The oft-forgotten tire until you need it.

The CX-5 comes with a donut, right? Does a full size tire fit in the spare tire well?

That works... maybe one of those cheap HF black blankets cut to spec to keep the rattling at bay. I've thought of doing the same.

That works... maybe one of those cheap HF black blankets cut to spec to keep the rattling at bay. I've thought of doing the same.

I haven't had a rattling problem yet. In the pic the stuff is laid out, but normally I stuff them in to where they don't move. Not in the pic is a tiny air compressor I carry for tire inflation. Of course, I also have a 12" sub and 600w amp, maybe another reason I don't hear rattling [emoji23]

Last edited:
I like the fire extinguisher, but having it under there kind of defeats the purpose of having it within quick reach. I'd like to mount one inside the back somewhere on the side.

I like the fire extinguisher, but having it under there kind of defeats the purpose of having it within quick reach. I'd like to mount one inside the back somewhere on the side.

That depends. For one, it's in a better place than not having one at all. Secondly, it may not be used for me personally, but if someone got in an accident or someone's car is on fire and I pulled over and stopped to help (this situation has happened to me before, and the reason why I carry another). It doesn't fit in the glove box. Putting it under a seat and rolling around would make it harder to find than rushing out of the car and do two moves- snatch the hatch open, and open the spare tire floor lid. I do agree it's not in the most ideal spot (that would be attached to the A-pillar), and I may pick up a racing extinguisher that attaches to the floor or a seat rail in the near future, but for now, this is what I have [emoji106]

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back