Stock struts and shocks with springs...

dandydaniel

:
2008.5 Mazdaspeed 3
I've had experience throwing tein/eibach springs on my 2005 honda accord and the stock struts blew out within 25-30k. i was wondering if this goes the same with the ms3 stock suspension when paired with lowering springs. I'm interested in the cobb springs and was wondering if it'd be worth dropping $160 for some springs when in the future (25-30k future?) i'm going to have to pay with degrading ride quality and then the inevitable blown strut/shocks?

anyone with some mileage under their belts with lowering springs + stock struts/shocks wanna chime in? thanks!

I've only had my springs on for a few thousand miles and 10k overall on the car. I've seen some post of people with stock springs needing new struts around 25-30k miles though.

I would recommend against using the OEM dampers with anything other than the OEM springs (IMO, they're not even up to the task of properly damping the OEM springs, let alone something stiffer and lower...).

You're in luck! Mazdaspeed3 dampers are crap from the factory! So pretty much anything you replace them with will be a huge improvement.

Personally, I'm running Koni FSD's on the stock MS3 springs. It hasn't been long but the car just seems to do everything better. Is it the best? Depends what you're trying to accomplish. All I know is that I can safely tackle back roads at much higher speeds than before, with better ride comfort, ride quality, and stability, especially under braking on bumpy surfaces.

But there are other options for maximum handling. First and foremost perhaps, the very adjustable coilover kit from Mazdapseed. Double the spring rate, adjustable ride height, and adjustable damping. Most people who have them seem to like them a lot. I've seen them priced as low as $1000, without the camber links you need if you're going to go much past the minimum drop.

If I were going for maximum lap times without coilovers, I would seriously consider the AWR valved Bilsteins Voigtlander race springs (not currently shown on their web site but they have them). It's a very racy combo, from what I've heard, very fast, but not particularly comfortable for every day use.

There's also the Koni Yellow and Eibach Pro Kit combo that's specific to the MS3, that most people like, and some people don't.

In my experience though, just installing FSD's fixed what Mazdaspeed screwed up. Like I said, it just does everything better. It also taxes the tires though, the next weakest link in the chain. With the OEM setup I ran out control and stability, but with that mostly solved, I'm running out of tire grip.

Nice problem to have from just a damper change, IMO. Especially on the crumbling roadwork in my city, state, and county, with no budget left to improve them. All I really know is that I have a comfortable yet fast setup for the conditions I encounter every day.

Back