Stock MSP Hotpipe Blew Off

gone_fishin

:
One of a Kind '99
I was wondering if anyone could tell me at what pressure the stock msp hotpipe (routing from the turbo outlet to the stock IC) will actually blow off of the turbo outlet. Believe it or not, it happened to me-- and I've never been able to even loosen it at that end by hand, which worries me slightly. Should I be looking to replace my wastegate actuator, or should I just clamp it and forget about it. Has this happened to others as well?

By the way, I nearly s*** myself when it happened. All of a sudden I heard what sounded like the turbo letting go with a giant rush of air, and subsequently the throttle would do nothing, and the car stalled out, on a hill....at night (thankfully about 20 yards from my house though). I'm sitting there with nightmare scenarious running through my head-- lsd? blown head gasket? blown head? cracked block? siezed pistons? (I just recently did this build) The car would crank, but stall immediately thereafter. I put on my 4 ways, frantically run to my house to get a flashlight, and look under my hood and the first thing I notice is the hotpipe is completely off the tubo. So I put it back on and carefully (easy on the throttle) pull it into my driveway. Worst. night. ever.

you don't have a boost gauge? Did it happen during a sudden and unexpected rush of speed (i.e. going out in a blaze of glory)?

Also, is it just a standard hose clamp or some specialty mazda part?

look into a t bolt clamp and your problems will be forgotten. I had the same problem at stock boost when i upgraded my SMIC. GL and you should be good.

Kansei said:
you don't have a boost gauge? Did it happen during a sudden and unexpected rush of speed (i.e. going out in a blaze of glory)?

Also, is it just a standard hose clamp or some specialty mazda part?

there is no clamp on the stock hotpipe on the turbo outlet. It has ribs on the inner walls which go over the lip on the housing. I suppose mazdaspeed thought it would be sufficient, because although there is a clamp on the intercooler side, there is no clamp came on the turbo outlet itself. At least mine didn't come with one.

And no, idiotically I don't have a boost gauge, but it's on my list of things to do yet. I don't even have an operational speedometer yet either, and that's a must over the boost gauge for now (laugh it up if you'd like, but I need it so my car can get inspected and pass). I haven't touched the boost settings, but I have a feeling with the full GHL 3'' turboback, the CAI, and the fully ported and polished intake manifold, i'm thinking it may be slightly more than 7 lbs.

Last edited:
210_ZOOM said:
look into a t bolt clamp and your problems will be forgotten. I had the same problem at stock boost when i upgraded my SMIC. GL and you should be good.

glad to know i'm not the only one. can a t-bolt clamp be had at napa or at a hardware store?

no clamp? yikes, that's weird.

When do you need to get the car inspected by? You can get a mechanical boost gauge for seriously like 20 bucks, and for your car at this point it's probably more important. I doubt it overboosted and shot the pipe off if you didn't notice any sudden rush of speed.

Are you running the stock MSP boost control solenoid or a manual boost controller?

I know with my boost controller turned down as much as possible, just running off the wastegate, I'm at 7psi with the msp turbo and manifold, corksport downpipe, FMIC, CAI, etc.. but I don't have the msp wastegate actuator, I have one made for a Pontiac Sunbird GT Turbo Convertible :p

210_ZOOM said:

So a stock msp really doesn't have a clamp there? just wanting confirmation of that since it seems weird.

there should be a clamp there. it probably broke and fell off the pipe when it blew off. you could probably just get another worm clamp from some car parts store

there should definitely be a stock clamp there. a weak worm clamp. but there should be one present on all the bad plastic hoses. upgrade to hardpipes, quality silicone couplers and heavy duty clamps. they won't swell, crack, or blow off.

Kansei said:
no clamp? yikes, that's weird.

When do you need to get the car inspected by? You can get a mechanical boost gauge for seriously like 20 bucks, and for your car at this point it's probably more important. I doubt it overboosted and shot the pipe off if you didn't notice any sudden rush of speed.

Are you running the stock MSP boost control solenoid or a manual boost controller?

I know with my boost controller turned down as much as possible, just running off the wastegate, I'm at 7psi with the msp turbo and manifold, corksport downpipe, FMIC, CAI, etc.. but I don't have the msp wastegate actuator, I have one made for a Pontiac Sunbird GT Turbo Convertible :p

lol a pontiac sunbird. Nothing wrong with ingenuinty! My car has to be inspected asap, the inspection stickers are already long overdue and technically it's not even supposed to be on the road. I haven't been driving it but more than around my neighborhood because I'd rather not get the > $100 ticket.

I'm running the stock msp boost control solenoid.

I don't have a working speedo because the 99 and the 03 msp dash harnesses are completely different, aside from the fact that the msp uses an ABS speed sensor and the 99 had an internal tranny module worm gear type thing. I also need to get my reverse lights working because I haven't swapped out the roof harness either. But other than that the car's fine! lol. I want to hold off getting hardpipes because I actually want to eventually follow in terbow's footsteps of doing a water-air setup. Whoever said "swelling" of the plastic pipes sure are right. You can actually clearly see the stock hot pipe expand (significantly) when I'm just throttling in idle. Until I can do the water-air setup, I'll just worm clamp it x2 until I can locate some t-bolt clamps. Anybody have any they'd like to sell me for cheap? (ugh)

Last edited:
go to a truck stop or a truck shop... like semi shop and pick up some constant torque's but be careful, i've seen someone not really watching crush a IC pipe (SS metal) tightening one down.

lol I love that phrase "going out in a blaze of glory"...reminds of me that lame bon jovi song. It wasn't quite a grenade, but then again I'm sure it would have been quite the amusement to watch. I'll look into getting some constant torque clamps, and I will be sure to be careful when tightening them! haha.

Back