Stock Brake Pads

Minimazda

:
Mazda 2 sport, 2012
So I know a lot of cars get some pretty meh brake pads off the bat and that includes some mazda cars but I have gotta give props to the person who decided what brake pads our little 2 will get. Perhaps it's my driving style, less braking and more letting the car stop on it's own (which yes even an automatic can do...at least mine does lol), but these brakes have lasted me 53k miles. Over the course of less than 2 years my little car has been through autocrosses, city traffic, high speed braking, and everything else in between and they have not failed me once. Even in autocross I haven't experienced any brake fade. I stop when I want to stop. They don't even produce a lot of brake dust, which is a nice bonus for keeping my car clean for car shows. Even now at the 53k miles mark the pads are only at about halfway down, at this point I will be keeping an eye on them to be sure I replace them before they get low but they are seriously some durable little pads.
I don't have any pictures of the brake pads at the moment, I just had a chance to really look at them on wednesday when I got new tires put on. BFGoodrich G-Force Sport Comp-2's btw and they are amazing, got them 195-50-15 and they work perfect on the car =).

Unfortunately my rotors are warped (shake of death, and the rhythmic high pitched scrape while driving slowly) , so while the pads may perform very well (no complaints from me) the rotors leave something to be desired.

I'm still on the stock pads as well and have found no reason go update to a higher temp pad. Due to the low power and weight of the 2, there isn't a big demand on the braking system. No track days, but a number of mountain runs and no fade (though I always let off on the straights). Autocross isn't really a good test of brake pads since pretty much anything should be able to stop a light, slow car from low speeds for under 60 seconds. Certainly no pad issues with the few ive done though.

Yea I really liked the stock pads as well. I am going to be doing some track days with the 2 this year which is why I have HP+ pads, but if I wasn't doing any track I would keep going with the stock pads.

the stock pads are quite nice especially on twisties and auto-x. then again, i am running rear disks so there may be a difference in pad life in the ling run. only time will say

My OEM brake pads lasted 45,000 miles. I measured the rotors and they were not warped but the had deposits which caused pulsation. I replaced the rotors with NAPA 90 for the pair, and OEM pads again. The shoes are just fine.

Back