Stay with manual or switch to automatic?

Saved from a Focus!
My wife and I have a running joke, any Ford or any unknown vehicle we refer to is called a "Ford Festus." Like, "what was he driving?" "Oh, it was a Ford Festus."
Actually I don't have anything in particular against Fords. But a CX-5 is a huge step up from any econobox IMO.

My wife has the 2012 focus hatch, and its actually nice (euro-styling, great handling & fuel sipping), but again hampered by the autotragic gearbox. I couldn't get one in manual unless I got the ST, a regular focus with 5spd was just too hard to find in my state.

Back on topic though, if you've test driven both, nobody can really sway you either way. The manual is one of the better shifters out there, and the automatic would give your kid an easier chance to drive it, for better or worse. you'll be driving it the majority of the time, so pick which makes you happy.

Last edited:
I too prefer manuals over automatics, but wanted some of the extras that were not available with the manual. I tend to keep my vehicles for a long time, so I went with the extras over the fun of a manual. I still wish for the manual, but am certainly comfortable and happy in my awesome new ride! Now if they release the diesel manual with the extras here in the next couple of years, I'll be trading.

Back on topic though, if you've test driven both, nobody can really sway you either way. The manual is one of the better shifters out there, and the automatic would give your kid an easier chance to drive it, for better or worse. you'll be driving it the majority of the time, so pick which makes you happy.

Yes, you have summed it up well. And I will figure it out, it just takes me a while. It is nice to be able to wonder out loud about a big decision in this forum and get so many thoughtful responses. It is also reassuring to hear how happy everyone seems to be with what they ended up with, either way.

My next move is to get a better quality test drive, by leaving the salesman behind and just driving it myself further than a couple miles in a loop around the dealership.

Has anybody accustomed to a manual transmission chosen the automatic CX-5? Or stayed with the manual? Either way, what do you think?

I was on the same boat, I have been driving a manual for +12 years and this is my first automatic car. Even though I do miss shifting gears Im already getting used to the automatic. Like others have mention its a very good transmission and it doesnt feel like the common 4 or 5 speed automatic transmission on most cars.

I drove the automatic. It felt like any old automatic to me and was GUTLESS, ugh. The only reason why I drove it is because I drove 80 miles to drive the manual and they sold it an hour before I got there! I'm clinging to the hope that the manual will feel better. I drive a '04 6 Speed Honda Element with 166k that I bought new and it FLIES compared to anything else out there with it's size and mileage. I get 29-30 on the highway since adding 6th gear. I get 26-27 mixed. The automatic Elements were also horribly slow. I will not and cannot go from a 8 sec 0-60 SUV to 10 sec one. I can handle sub 9 maybe low low 9s. I have more fun driving my Element than my 300hp Nissan 200SX SE-R or Mitsu Evo IX! I really think suspension-wise the CX-5 will best the Element fun factor but living without peppy power is a deal killer. You can't tell me you can't have good mileage with a peppy SUV because I know it's not true.

I drove the automatic. It felt like any old automatic to me and was GUTLESS, ugh. The only reason why I drove it is because I drove 80 miles to drive the manual and they sold it an hour before I got there! I'm clinging to the hope that the manual will feel better. I drive a '04 6 Speed Honda Element with 166k that I bought new and it FLIES compared to anything else out there with it's size and mileage. I get 29-30 on the highway since adding 6th gear. I get 26-27 mixed. The automatic Elements were also horribly slow. I will not and cannot go from a 8 sec 0-60 SUV to 10 sec one. I can handle sub 9 maybe low low 9s. I have more fun driving my Element than my 300hp Nissan 200SX SE-R or Mitsu Evo IX! I really think suspension-wise the CX-5 will best the Element fun factor but living without peppy power is a deal killer. You can't tell me you can't have good mileage with a peppy SUV because I know it's not true.

Getting a manual isn't going to shave off a second, or even a half second on the 0-60 time. So just keep your element if you're happy with it. Maybe check back if and when the diesel comes out.

If you want something that feels fast, you might as well not bother with the CX5. The manual isn't going to make much difference. CX5 has everything going for it EXCEPT that put-you-back-in-the-seat feeling. Probably just the opposite.. it's going to feel a little slower than it really is, especially on a test drive. Actual performance is in the same range as the competition, however. I would agree on waiting for the Skyactiv-D which will have the torque to make it feel fast, even if it doesn't translate to actual 0-60 times.

btw, I'm averaging 28-30 mpg in my 2006 Mazda5 with 200k+ miles on it, and it's also fun to drive even though it's AT.

fthomasr, if your commute is all straight lines, you will still be disappointed with the manual CX5 even though its marginally faster than the auto. Now if you have some curves thrown in, then get the manual CX5 and never look back! I'm still amazed at the handling of this car and with the manual you can leave it in a nice low gear for a corner and go as fast as you dare. Hell I even discovered a bit of off-throttle oversteer on an on-ramp by work last week!

Any chance of a manual with the diesel?

Even 8 mpg average over the Skyactive-G 6MT is not economically going to make up for the fact it will surely be 5K more. (Really doubting you will be able to get one in Sport trim.)

I drove the 6MT and the shifter was such a peach. I haven't had an automatic car in 20 years when I was 16 and one was given to me. I'm sure the automatic is very good, but just can't do it.

Chose the manual.

After another test drive, this time an awd Sport, took a deep breath and...ordered a Sport MT in silver.

I just need to feel that clutch pedal under my foot. Price was also a strong incentive.

My Mazda is due around today at the seaport in Tacoma, should be ready for pickup at my dealer by end of month, so they tell me.

Really, the hardest decision here by far was not auto vs. manual CX-5, it was to finally retire my beloved 1998 VW Passat Wagon, 1.8L turbo, which until now was the only car I ever bought new. 174,000 miles, no rust, long-legged, smooth power, practical, great handling, and just really a beautiful car. A tough act to follow, but I am looking forward to my new Mazda!

Kurt

After another test drive, this time an awd Sport, took a deep breath and...ordered a Sport MT in silver.
Kurt

I have the exact car/color you're getting, and if you like driving, you will love it. You can always dial in the right gear for the situation be it cruising the freeway or passing on two lane country roads. I have only got less than 30 mpg on a couple of tanks, and that's when I have been pulling my utility trailer through mountainous terrain.

The first upgrade is to order some 3.5" speakers for the dash. These will take the base model stereo to a whole new level. I got the JL Audio, but the Polks are also a good choice.

Congrats.

I have the exact car/color you're getting, and if you like driving, you will love it. You can always dial in the right gear for the situation be it cruising the freeway or passing on two lane country roads. I have only got less than 30 mpg on a couple of tanks, and that's when I have been pulling my utility trailer through mountainous terrain.

The first upgrade is to order some 3.5" speakers for the dash. These will take the base model stereo to a whole new level. I got the JL Audio, but the Polks are also a good choice.

Congrats.

/\ Agreed. I also have a Silver Sport MT. It isn't fast but it is fun. I've even been able to chirp the 1-2 shift which surprised the first time. It's much more fun in every situation. This is the first manual with Hill-Hold I've had so even in traffic it's easy. I do wish more options were available but I did get out the dealership door with more to spend on personalizing.

I'm a firm believer in manuals. More control for fun and safety, less and easier maintenance (1 clutch out of 5 vehicles all with 120-160k miles), and safer to drive since it's much harder to drive while talking, texting, checking email.

I've been getting 30-31 mpg averages/tank with roof rack, cargo box and a hitch bike rack on it. So I'm very happy with Mpg. Especially with the cargo box, mpg drop off fast when going 75+ on the highway. The car really likes 60-70 for highway cruising and mpg but that isn't always feasible. My lowest mpg was 27 for a 600 mile trip to Northern Maine fully loaded and towing a trailer with a canoe and kayak.

Have fun with it.

+1 on the Sport MT in Silver. I added factory fog lights, cargo cover, and rear bumper guard to mine at time of purchase. I can't stand looking at the black caps on the front bumper cover, knowing that they are for fog lights. I tinted the windows shortly after. From the outside it looks like the Touring with 17's. I want to install the dash speakers and cargo tray. The felt material in the back is a magnet for dog hair. No navi, no bluetooth, no problem. I have a Garmin in the glove box and a Supertooth clipped on the visor.

In a nutshell,

I test drove auto CX5 first. It was too slow/boring AT did not cooperate at all with my driving. Basically, it is too big of a car and too little of an engine to connect this with auto tranny for my driving style.

I went with MT and never looked back. This is my 5th MT car and its MT shifter/entire operation is the best I've experienced.

YMMV.

If you're going to drive a manual it might as well be a proper car. The CX-5 is a daily driver - not a sports car. Who cares if it's automatic? I've only ever owned manual cars, but then again I've only owned RX-7s. We bought a CX-5 as a comfortable and economic vehicle to drive everyday, so we had no second thoughts about getting the automatic.

All my daily drivers I've ever owned have been manuals. This is a proper car. It can out-handle most proper cars. It just has slightly more ground clearance.

Back