Stay with manual or switch to automatic?

:
CX-5, Jeep
Has anybody accustomed to a manual transmission chosen the automatic CX-5? Or stayed with the manual? Either way, what do you think?

My last automatic was in a '73 Dodge Dart. That was followed by an '89 VW Fox wagon 4-speed which I kept for 215,000 miles, followed by my current '98 Passat wagon 5-speed which is approaching 175,000 as the main family hauler and long-distance cruiser. My wife has primary custody of a 2002 Protege5; there's also a 97 Wrangler for occasional fun, plus an MGB which the Jeep was supposed to replace but somehow I haven't got around to selling yet. I also raced a VW Beetle along the way.

Even though the Passat is just a wagon, it is fast and smooth and pretty and long-legged and handles great. Its paint still looks like new. But, it's reached the point where annual maintenance costs are exceeding new-car depreciation. Plus, even if well-maintained, as it ages there is increasing concern about something going wrong on a long trip. And, I've had it fourteen years, it's just time for something new.

As soon as I saw the CX-5, it just clicked. It has the right combination of features--comparable space and better ground clearance, weight-carrying and towing capacity than the Passat, distinctive styling, exceptional responsiveness for a CUV, and an available manual transmission.

I had a couple test drives in manual CX-5s and they were fine but oddly uninspiring. The auto, with its manual mode, was surprisingly...not bad. It's like, the manual felt like a trucklike sports car, while the auto felt like a sporty truck...does that make sense? Some of it I think is due to the very dark and plain interior in the Sport models. The Touring has a better and flatter-folding back seat which has value for me because I sometimes load it up with a lot of stuff. Also a better choice of exterior colors, nicer fabrics inside.

I have some concern about the effect on the auto of driving long distances fully loaded and occasional towing, although the clutch system locks out the torque converter above 5mph which seems like a good thing. Still, the manual is simpler, with no sophisticated electronics or computers to fail out in the middle of nowhere.

We recently rented an Accent for a few days while on a trip, it has the same automatic/manual shift setup as the CX-5. I played a bit with the manual shifting but ended up just using the auto. It worked. Got us from place to place. Meh. But, it was just a Hyundai econobox. Would my reaction be different if it had Zoom-Zoom DNA?

So anyway, with all those considerations, for me it really all comes back to the driving experience of manual vs. automatic. If you too have faced this decision, what did you do and how do you like it?

Kurt

I haven't driven the manual, but because of options, it wouldn't matter because the stuff we wanted, we couldn't get with the sport model. Plus my wife can't drive a stick, so the choice was easy. LOL

While I love shifting my own gears, especially in a sports car, but I just don't see the point in an SUV/CUV, or truck. Just IMO.

Plus the resale value will be higher with the auto because of a bigger pool of people who prefer auto's over sticks.

The manual mode works pretty well on the auto if you want to hold gears for going up hills, ect.

^ Agreed, auto is best choice for SUV and CX-5 auto is above average from enthusiasts perspective.

I've owned too many manuals to list including several sport cars, don't miss them that much

Ahh yes, the PRNDL virus! It is a sad day when we must succomb... :)

The new skyactiv auto trans in the 3/cx5 is a different breed. The transmission is "Locked up" most of the time, so you get that nice direct-drive feeling, without the mushy feeling that most automatics have. You also have the option of a manual-mode that does great rev-matching, and is very smooth as well. Honestly, the only thing I miss, is the extra exercise for my left leg. :) Only 3 of the Mazdas listed below in my sig were automatics.

Last edited:
Personally, I was so disappointed in the performance of the automatic, even with the autostick, that I had crossed the CX-5 off my list. I understood why reviewers were complaining about the lack of power. Then I drove the manual and I changed my mind. With the manual, you can keep the engine in the powerband exactly where you want it. It is a hoot to drive and so much more engaging. True, you can't even get the lowest options such as Bluetooth and navigation, but I just bought a Garmin at Costco for $179 that covers both issues and is superior to the Tomtom that Mazda offers.

Furthermore, I will be adding heated leather seats, and I will have far more color combinations available than the two offered by Mazda. Bose? No highs, no lows, must be Bose. There are much better options out there than Bose. But what about really cool headlight options and the blindspot monitoring you ask. No thanks. My headlights work great. My Acura has foglights, and I honestly can't tell when they are on or off. Just more unnecessary add ons that will eventually malfunction or be broken by a rock or road debris and require expensive repairs.

Resale? Remember, you are paying a much more higher percentage of your purchase price for these options going in. You will have to get equal percentage getting out. As far as finding buyers for the manual, I have driven nothing but manuals for at least 30 years and never have difficulty finding buyers if the car is offered in excellent condition when you are ready to sell. There are buyers who will only drive manuals, and even though they are a rare breed, they are out there.

So, drive both on your daily commute and winding mountain roads, then you decide. For me, the choice was easy, and I am enjoying every minute behind the wheel of my $21,000 stripper. I am having fun deciding what goodies to add next with the cash I saved. Also check my Fuelly at the bottom of the post. The gas mileage is amazing.

Lando, well said. I love my manual CX5 and I bought a Garmin, a bluetooth and I just installed HID headlights. Having them for more then 5 years on the MS3, I just got used to them. Amazing value in the basic trim with manual. This car (cuv) keeps growing on me.

I've ordered the auto with the diesel engine. I have driven the car for several hours in this setup and really like it. I think here in europe, the manual will be the big seller but the new mazda auto really is not bad. It doesn't seem as harsh as the VAG twin clutch gearbox. I do think the VAG DSG box has its place and that it is a very sporty feel, but I think the CX-5 auto is very refined and really nice to drive. It also seems intelligent enough when coupled with the awesome 2.2 diesel. It always seems to be in the right gear. I can't comment on the petrol, never driven one.
I was exclusively looking for a VAG DSG motor on the understanding that they were the best auto boxes currently available. For me, the Mazda is equally as good but for someone into raw delivery, the VAG DSG still has the edge I think. Mazda has the best combination thought, trumped by their diesel engine.
I've always had manual stick shifts before but health reasons have forced me into an auto and I won't mind too much.

I love manuals also, and with a lower powered car, like I seem to have a propensity for choosing it's even more useful for getting the best performance. But an suv with a manual? I dunno. I had to have AWD so it wasn't an option and regardless of how 'brilliant' the auto is on this I am still often in a gear I wouldn't choose myself. I'm learning the manumatic thing and gotta admit it is pretty well sorted out. It automatically downshifts for you when you slow or stop, and doesn't let you s*** into a gear that's too low. What it really leaves you with is the ability to control the shift points during acceleration and downshifting on the highway to pass or on hills, which is what you are really looking for. You have to look down a lot to see what gear you are In and no clutch means no real fun, but it serves the purpose.

I'm a manual fan myself. I would have preferred to get the
manual but we ended up with the auto. This auto is the first I've ever liked from day 1.

My wife is the primary driver so I'm not in it very much...
mainly a couple times on the weekend. The auto works
very well especially considering it's a small four banger hauling the vehicle around.

I've used it in manual mode and it does very well... I used
it in a passing situation and a merge onto the interstate and wasimpressed.

It operates very different from the automatics
we've had before and the criticism of it hurting
acceleration is blown way out of proportion, from
what I'm experiencing.

Most of my car's had a stick so it wasn't easy to switch to auto. but IMO here in Qubec you dont get a CUV without awd so that made my decision. It's a really good auto transmission, they only thing i dont like is when you get to a stop sign, if you dont halt the car completly it stay's on 2nd gear. When you get back on the accelerator it's under power because of that. I solve that problem by using the manual mode, i shift back in first gear, like that im in the powerband. Other than that when i pass 30mph i just let it work by itself and it those a really good job.

Still, the manual is simpler, with no sophisticated electronics or computers to fail out in the middle of nowhere.

If you plan on keeping the CX-5 as long as you've kept your Passat and want reliability, then get the manual. There is so much less that can go wrong in a manual transmission compared to an automatic. If you think you will be shifting the automatic in manual mode often then get the manual. The Sport model lacks a bit without certain options, but for 22k, you are getting well engineered machine for not a lot of money.

...Furthermore, I will be adding heated leather seats, and I will have far more color combinations available than the two offered by Mazda...

Lando, where are getting those aftermarket seats? I'm with you on all those other options; the only ones I value are the leather seats and the better flip-down back seat in Touring and above.

Thanks to everyone for your thoughts.

Another consideration I did not mention before...we have a newly-16 daughter and teaching her to drive in the manual is challenging. The advantage of the auto is that she could drive it. The disadvantage of the auto is...she could drive it. (eyeballs)

I love manual transmissions. I drove the automatic and to me it felt like an automatic. I drove (and bought) the manual - IMHO - its is far better. I've read it and now I'm convinced that Mazda makes a fantastic manual transmission.

Lando, where are getting those aftermarket seats? I'm with you on all those other options; the only ones I value are the leather seats and the better flip-down back seat in Touring and above.

Thanks to everyone for your thoughts.

Another consideration I did not mention before...we have a newly-16 daughter and teaching her to drive in the manual is challenging. The advantage of the auto is that she could drive it. The disadvantage of the auto is...she could drive it. (eyeballs)

Check out Katzkin interiors. They are one of the best aftermarket interior companies around. They can add heat to the seats, and you can customize just about everything; piping, stitching, 2-tone, ect. You can check pics on the web of their products.

For the auto vs 6speed, IMO, if you absolutely want a manual, there is no substitute. Just go with the manual. If you want it to hold gears a little longer to stay in the power band for faster execration, or for going up hills ect, the auto will allow this, and will allow you to get more options if you want them.

I wanted the manual but would have had to wait for months to get one so I bought the auto they had on the lot. After driving it for almost 4000 miles now I must say its the best automatic I have ever experienced. Its got the direct feel like a manual where the engine RPM coincides with the speed of the car and not with the accelerator pedal. The only other thing is if you keep the car for more than 100,000 miles than you'll have to be prepared to spend about $1000 on a clutch job because sooner or later it'll wear out. Every automatic I've owned has gone over 200k without any major repairs. Clutches are like brakes, they can last 30k or 180k depending on the driver.

I wanted the manual but would have had to wait for months to get one so I bought the auto they had on the lot. After driving it for almost 4000 miles now I must say its the best automatic I have ever experienced. Its got the direct feel like a manual where the engine RPM coincides with the speed of the car and not with the accelerator pedal. The only other thing is if you keep the car for more than 100,000 miles than you'll have to be prepared to spend about $1000 on a clutch job because sooner or later it'll wear out. Every automatic I've owned has gone over 200k without any major repairs. Clutches are like brakes, they can last 30k or 180k depending on the driver.

Ack. Really? I've never owned an automatic so this is news to me. I've always driven my manuals aggressively but never replaced a clutch, even after 250k, cuz me sooooo smooooooth. Smoother than the auto that's for sure. That sucks.

Test driving the automatic was decent, but only reaffirmed that I wanted to be in full control especially with a low output engine. I almost gave up on the CX5 due to scarcity of manual transmissions in south Florida, in fact I was going to preorder a Focus ST because all I ever wanted was a fun hatchback... then the wife found the manual CX5 when we were on vacation and that was the end of the discussion. Still long for a true sports car, but this is the closest I can get while preparing for baby seats in the next year or so :-/

I was looking for the manual CX-5 but test drove the automatic first because of availability. Early in the test drive, I tried to change lanes and accelerate and there was the normal "automatic" delay before downshifting and accelerating. After that, I used the "manual" automatic mode and it worked well although I wasn't used to using it.

We test drove the real manual a couple of weeks later and it is very smooth. I also didn't like that it didn't have some features like the 40/20/40 fully flat folding rear seat or even some things like the BSM. We also have a 16 yr old daughter who is still learning to drive but the manual still won out for us.

Both my wife and I are used to driving stick shift and, like the combination of lighter weight, extra MPG and control of the power. We also saved a couple of thousand over the other trims. Our daughter can still learn on our other manual car and won't be "auto" handicapped for the rest of her life after never learning how to stick shift when she was young. :)

I've personally never had to change any clutches on my previous cars even way past 100k. I'm not sure about v8toilet's experience but perhaps it really depends on the driver in his case. ;)

...in fact I was going to preorder a Focus ST because all I ever wanted was a fun hatchback... then the wife found the manual CX5 when we were on vacation and that was the end of the discussion.
Saved from a Focus!

My wife and I have a running joke, any Ford or any unknown vehicle we refer to is called a "Ford Festus." Like, "what was he driving?" "Oh, it was a Ford Festus."

Actually I don't have anything in particular against Fords. But a CX-5 is a huge step up from any econobox IMO.

Last edited:
Back