SSP A6 Passenger Frontal Air Bag Concern

jlx21

:
16.5 CX-5
Anyone else get this in the mail?

Looks like I have to drag myself to the dealership for a 30-minute check (ugh...).

Apparently some '16 CX-5s may have fabric of the passenger front air bag being torn during deployment. According to the notice, what will prevent the tear is a software update (e.g., reprogram the air bag sensor unit)...

Better to be safe than sorry, I guess.

Check the mfg date in the letter with your door sticker. My first post was in error, it looks like 11/1/2014 to 5/13/2016 mfg dates includes most 2016s...

Last edited:
I got this mailer as well. It says, underlined, right in the first paragraph:

If you are a recipient of this notice, your vehicle is included in Special Service Program (SSP) A6.

I'll take it in, since this is a safety issue. I also have a recall on the tailgate, so I wouldhave liked to have waited to get everyone done in one swoop. But there is no indication of when the "parts" (paint...) will be in for the tailgate repair.

Oh well. This will give me an excuse to get the car in there and have them replace the peeling infotainment screen trim. Second time now. That little piece of trim costs $70 from OEM sources (!!!), and I'm damn sure not paying for that.

If you are a recipient of this notice, your vehicle is included in Special Service Program (SSP) A6.

I'll take it in, since this is a safety issue. I also have a recall on the tailgate, so I wouldhave liked to have waited to get everyone done in one swoop. But there is no indication of when the "parts" (paint...) will be in for the tailgate repair.

Oh well. This will give me an excuse to get the car in there and have them replace the peeling infotainment screen trim. Second time now. That little piece of trim costs $70 from OEM sources (!!!), and I'm damn sure not paying for that.

Haven't heard of this trim issue - what kind of cleaning products do you use?

I do not use any products on the soft plastic on the interior. If you go to Medcenter Mazda and look up the trim piece, they describe the problem:

http://www.mazdaparts.org/mazda-cx5-audio-plate.html

"Is the cover peeling off the edges on your 2016 Mazda CX-5 Audio Panel? If so replace it with a new style. On some of old ones from the factory the material was cut to short causes it to peel. These have more material on them so it should not peel."

I have the same issue with the infotainment trim (bubbling up) . I've been waiting two months for the part to come in...Dealer says its on back-order, so I guess they are having issues with it.

infotainment Screen Trim Peeling

⋯ Oh well. This will give me an excuse to get the car in there and have them replace the peeling infotainment screen trim. Second time now. That little piece of trim costs $70 from OEM sources (!!!), and I'm damn sure not paying for that.
Haven't heard of this trim issue - what kind of cleaning products do you use?
This peeling issue on 2016 CX-5's infotainment screen trim issue is the factory defect and has nothing to do with cleaning product. Several 2016 CX-5 owners had reported this issue here. A member in Houston had also posted a picture by my request but I couldn't locate the post right now.

Check the mfg date in the letter with your door sticker. I got a letter but mine was built after the date referenced that needed the reprogram.
Haven't seen the letter yet. Do you have the manufacture date referenced for airbag reprogramming?

I sure hope this reprogramming won't affect the safety of front passenger any further as the 2016 CX-5 has already downgraded to 3 stars from 5 stars of previous MY's on passenger side in NHTSA Frontal Barrier Crash test.

Got home last night and found this letter in my mailbox too. Earlier in the day, I had scheduled an appt for the 28th for the 5K service. I called this morning and they will do SSP A6 at the same time.

yrwei52 - mfr dates are listed as November 1, 2014 thru May 13, 2016.

I received the recall notice a couple of days ago. I'll try to get in to have this done before holiday travel.

Got mine in the mail yesterday. Plan on taking the car in this week before my 1600 mile round trip next week.

Anyone else get this in the mail?

Looks like I have to drag myself to the dealership for a 30-minute check (ugh...).

Apparently some '16 CX-5s may have fabric of the passenger front air bag being torn during deployment. According to the notice, what will prevent the tear is a software update (e.g., reprogram the air bag sensor unit)...

Better to be safe than sorry, I guess.

yrwei52 - mfr dates are listed as November 1, 2014 thru May 13, 2016.
Thanks for the info! The date range indicates this SSP includes, in addition to all 2016 CX-5's, some 2015's and 2016.5's!

Just got mine updated this afternoon. Dealer adviser didn't really know anything about it. Not surprising though.

This peeling issue on 2016 CX-5's infotainment screen trim issue is the factory defect and has nothing to do with cleaning product. Several 2016 CX-5 owners had reported this issue here. A member in Houston had also posted a picture by my request but I couldn't locate the post right now.

Ours had this problem the day we bought it. The dealer replaced the trim piece at the first oil change.

Latest posts

Back