Ssafc vs. Ssftc

duren03msp

:
2003 mazdaspeed protege
hello everyone, starting up a thread here trying to get everybody's input on a few things so I / anybody else can review this and decide which controller fits their needs.

1. Which controller are you using? SSAFC OR SSFTC (haltech, AEM, unichip, etc. all accepted)
2. What are your goals? (HORSEPOWER/TORQUE/BOOST)
3. What do you use your car for? (DAILY DRIVER, DRAG, AUTOX, TIME ATTACK, ETC...)
4. What is your current setup?

CURRENT '03 BLACK MICA MSP

STOCK INTERNALS/HEAD/TURBO
INJEN CAI
CORKSPORT CBE W/ CORKSPORT HANGERS
TURBOSMART WASTEGATE
TURBOSMART FUEL CUT DEFENDER
FIDANZA LIGHTWEIGHT FLYWHEEL
EXEDY STAGE 1 CLUTCH
ETS SMIC W/ SILICON HARDPIPES
FULLY WELDED LSD

I PLAN TO GO FORGED AS SOON AS THE FUNDS ARE AVAILABLE ALONG WITH GT2860RS OR GT3071, FULL FMIC, WATER/ METHANOL INJECTION, 626 OR 505 INTAKE MANIFOLD, STEEDSPEED TURBO MANIFOLD, BIGGER INJECTORS, STILL DECIDING ON WHICH EMS, ETC.

I PLAN FOR IT TO BE MY SUMMER DAILY DRIVER AND OCCASIONALLY AUTOX/ TIME ATTACK.

HOPE TO GET SOMEWHERE AROUND 300-350HP AND SOMEWHERE AROUND 20PSI (+/-) A FEW PSI

LETS HEAR IT!!!

Current : 2003.5 Titanium Grey Msp

engine specs : all in my signature lol, but simply put;
built block w p&p head 5 angle valve job rebuilt w oem valves and seals
stock t25 turbo
injen sri
perrin 3in catless exhuast
fidanza flywheel spec stage 2+ clutch
perrin fmic
welded lsd, stock gears

have a room full of parts still awaiting install, 505zoom IM w/ p&p TB & perrin fuel rail w/ 440cc injectors. (may decide on 565cc). Siganture Sound Custom turbo mainfold (waiting to find a gt2860rs or gt2871) and Pope DP to drop in all at once. plan to eventually go meth but havent fully decided. I have a ssafc that i have to solder in an AEM extension harness to make it fully plug&play. maybe will go full standalone with a megasquirt v3 (buddy is working on making a few units to be plug&play)

Msp has been my daily for 4 years. currently it is sitting until i chase down a few vac leaks and replace a few sensors to clear my CEL. but also with my new job have a company car. so spares my mileage on the Msp. woohoo. so itll make its transition to being my weekend car.

not aiming for crazy power. i want to be QUICK not interested in being FAST. i love taking corners @40-60 mph. and sticking to the ground. have a bunch of suspension work done already. aiming for 280-340ish WHP. since i am also putting my msp on diet with a few carbon fiber parts.

1. SSAFC
2. possibly larger turbo, new turbo mani/DP
3. Daily driver
4. FMIC, SLS catless J/midpipe, AFC, EBC, solid MM, SRI
I am very happy with the way the car runs with the minimal amount invested in mods. To get to the 'next level' I would upgrade the turbo which would likely blow the stock 145k mile motor so I would have to invest ~$4-5k on a built motor which would then likely grenade the trans.

The point I am trying to make is, I can hit ~210-220whp with the mods I have now but spending much more than the car itself will ever be worth to make an extra ~50-100hp will never make any financial sense to me. I love my MSP and don't plan to sell it but I have driven enough 300+hp FWD cars to know that it isn't for me. The MSP is a great car with bolt-ons but it was never meant to be the stout, high HP car that so many owners wish it was. If I was in the financial situation to build the MSP I would consider it but likely would buy something else.

Back