Squealing Belt/Pulley

t4peworm

:
Mazda Protege5, Mazda Rx7
I have an 03 P5, and this has been an ongoing problem. Tomorrow will be the second time I change the AC/WP belt. When I first put it in its fine for about a week, then after that I can it squealing like crazy and it finally goes away after about 5 mins. But when I look, it appears as if the noise is coming from the power steering pulley, but that one never breaks/snaps, its always the alternator one. Has anyone faced this problem?

When I did my UDP I put new belts on, then I had this issue and ended up having to replace them. Here's my .02:

When you put on the new belts, make sure they are good and tight. I used Goodyear gatorbacks the first time and really don't like them. Gates are better belts, so if you're going to buy some, buy Gates.

If you're having problems with one belt, I would replace them both. These belts are finicky and it's worth it to just do both. You can get Gates cheap on Amazon.

You absolutely have to retighten the belts after a few weeks or so. If you don't they stretch and are not retensioned and begin to slip. After they slip for a while they glaze, and then you'll never get them to stop squealing. Tighten them good...a rule of thumb is you should not be able to twist the belt more than a quarter turn when fully tensioned. Good luck and don't forget to loosen the alt bolt under the car.

Last edited:
I had the same problem when I bought my P5. The belts were brand new and then they started to squeak after a week or so. I re-tightened them and the squeaks were gone for good. From what I understand, this is because new belts will stretch a little and then start to squeak. You need to then re-tighten both of them and you should be fine.

I had the same problem when I bought my P5. The belts were brand new and then they started to squeak after a week or so. I re-tightened them and the squeaks were gone for good. From what I understand, this is because new belts will stretch a little and then start to squeak. You need to then re-tighten both of them and you should be fine.

Just had my alternator belt replaced. It did the same thing but it would do it when the car needed more power, like for the a/c. Just retighten them cuz the sound will only get worse in the rain. My car actually started trying to stall on me. It's all better now :)

And if they DO start squealing again even after retightening them, you should check all of your accessory pullies to see if something is binding up.

mines squeeks like crazy..i looked at the belt the other day and i noticed that mines is has a cut on the edge. i have a new goodyear gatorback (new)to put on..hopefully it does not squeek anymore but i cannot complain because it was a free belt(wow)

Back