Squeaky Belt

MTV

:
2002 Proteg 5
Everytime it would rain, I would notice a squeek coming from the engine bay. Once the engine warmed up though, it would go away.

I decided to buy some "belt dressing" to stop this. It just made it worse!!

I personally think it's a loose belt that's causing the squeeking...

Question is: Is it easy to tighten? Where do I tighten it??

Matt

Which belt is it? If its the Power Steering and A/C one its easy, right on top. I've never done the alternator belt.

I not sure what belt it is. As the Revs get higher, it gets louder...

Does that help??

Matt

Personally I would inspect the tension on both belts. Check the condition as well. No cracking should be present.

The AC is on top and has two bolts in the front and one in the rear. Losen the one in the rear then the bottom one in the front. Then tighten the top one in the front. Once the belt has less flex, little more than an eighth of an inch, then tighten the other too bolts down.

The alternator is under, to the left of the intake manifold. Lift the front of the car and get under it to access the alternator. The bolt set up is the same here and you will see which bolts to lossen, tighten. Two bolts are under the alternator and the long bolt is on top, accessed with small hands through the top.

Good luck.

MTV said:
Everytime it would rain, I would notice a squeek coming from the engine bay. Once the engine warmed up though, it would go away.

I decided to buy some "belt dressing" to stop this. It just made it worse!!

I personally think it's a loose belt that's causing the squeeking...

Question is: Is it easy to tighten? Where do I tighten it??

Matt

The alternator/water pump belt is a pain in the ass to get to. You've got to jack up the car and remove the right-front wheel and go in the wheel-well to get to the bolt that allows the alternator to move. The alternator itself is the 'tensioner' for that belt (Thanks Mazda! (notcool) ). If its the ac/power steering belt the p/s pump acts as the tensioner.

Make sure those belts are in good shape. I had my alternator/water pump belt let go whilst I was on the interstate. Needless to say this wasn't fun and it took me all day to get the car to the auto parts store and do all this crap.

On any other car this is a 5 minute job. Not so with the Mazda.

I degreased the belts to get rid of that bad "Belt Dressing" and it made it better. It still squeeks but very minimal and it goes away faster.

I'm gonna bring it in to the garage tomorrow morning and get it tightened if I can't fix it myself.

Matt

My car dose that all the time, its just moisture on the belt it will squeek for about 10secs and go away its just moisture on the belt nothing really big, just open your bay up spray water and start the car you'll notice it'll squeek for like 10secs and go away.

Thats what mine did...

Yup, thats exactly what mine would do. When it got wet or really cold outside it made it really bad, and the more I pushed the gas the louder it would squeal until it finally caught. Didn't have the problem at higher speeds though. Here's what it was. The belt that runs to the alternator is either loose or the threading on it is worn down. Either way it is not catching right in the grooves. Unfortunately, this belt is a pain in the ass to change because you have to remove the other belt to get this one off, and I ended up stripping bolts and had to take it to the shop. A temp fix is use some dish soap on the belt, but really, you either need to tighten it or replace it. Don't waste time putting it off, and don't push MORE on the accelorator for it to catch. I did and it busted and the car died before I could get it to the shop. Hope this helps. If you do replace it, you will have to tighten it a few times as the rubber of the belt breaks in.

Back