2017~2024 Sport Mode Switch Location

My 2019 CX-5 AWD is my first "Sport Mode" vehicle. What is the best situation for the Sport Mode? I did read it will help to down shift exiting the highway. Will the MPG change when in use? Do you leave it on when on the highway? Would it be useful for winter driving? Thanks..

Likewise, I said I'm curious about the other cars. Glad you clarified that your own individual thoughts are valid to share, but that my personal curiosity about comparison points "doesn't matter"
It was on the shifter on my Saabs. Pretty damn convenient.

Saab-S-button-gear-shift-lever.jpg

My 2019 CX-5 AWD is my first "Sport Mode" vehicle. What is the best situation for the Sport Mode? I did read it will help to down shift exiting the highway. Will the MPG change when in use? Do you leave it on when on the highway? Would it be useful for winter driving? Thanks..

It just changes the transmission shift points to hold gears longer. So normally, lets say at light to moderate acceleration, the car shifts from 2nd gear to 3rd gear at 2500 RPM (just an arbitrary number I'm using for this example). With Sport mode on, the car will shift from 2nd to 3rd at 3200 RPM instead (again, arbitrary number). This means that when you're cruising along at 40 mph with Sport mode on, you might be in 3rd gear with the RPMs at 3600, vs with Sport mode off, you might be in 4th gear with the RPMs at 2200.

The benefit of being in the moderate to higher RPM range is that the car is more responsive to throttle input in those ranges, so when you depress the accelerator, there is less of a "lag" in picking up speed.

Fuel economy will likely decrease slightly if you drive with Sport mode on all the time. I only turn it on in advance when I think I might need it, and I wouldn't turn it on for winter driving.

Honestly, it's rarely something you need to use, as the transmission is responsive enough for most driving conditions. If you have a tight or short entrance ramp onto a highway and want slightly quicker acceleration by already being in a lower gear rather than pressing the accelerator and waiting for a downshift, it can be marginally useful. There really isn't enough compression braking (at least in the turbo models) to make using lower gears to slow down very useful (and the engine doesn't sound very good doing it - again turbo model). Also if you are on a nice twisty road and want to drive in a more aggressive manner it can be good.

Definitely not something to leave on for highway driving, as it'll keep you in a lower gear with worse fuel economy. Definitely not for winter driving as you want less torque to the wheels and not more. Generally in my opinion, it's best to leave it in normal mode almost all the time.

The above that is bolded is only true when not simply mashing the "pedal to the metal". This is what the OP was referring to when he asked the question. He's looking to pass someone quickly. Having sport mode enabled will not get him around the vehicle any faster.
As my post clearly showed, I was responding to HeloJoe and not the OP. Thanks for reading the rest of the post that already stated ultimate acceleration is not changed.

As my post clearly showed, I was responding to HeloJoe and not the OP. Thanks for reading the rest of the post that already stated ultimate acceleration is not changed.
Yes, I understood that you were clearly not responding to the OP, or me. I just thought you left out something and wanted to make sure no one would misinterpret what you were conveying. :)

I wish the Sport Mode switch on my 2020 Signature was in a better location. The times I want to use it I'm about to hit the accelerator to pass another vehicle and I don't want to have to look down at the shift panel to find it or fiddle around to feel it while I keep my eyes on the road. I suppose the latter is what most users learn to do but I sure wish it were on the steering wheel instead. Granted there may just be no room for it there.
More drive modes are being added for 2022, a catch-up to competitors, so the issue is probably moot. You have to think past just a Sport toggle. The current competitor multi-mode systems are typically controlled by a dial on the console. One key competitor has both a dial and buttons:

The evident intent in this design is to select a mode with one click of a button or one click on the dial. The Normal "hot button" on the dial and the separate normal button seem redundant, so the logic behind that would require a reading of the manual and a test drive. A dial-only design would require clicking through multiple modes to get to the one on the far right or far left, evidently not intended as something to use on the fly.

According to some reports, the 2022 CX-5 features increased body rigidity and a re-tuned suspension which would suggest Mazda is shooting for better off-road chops. So, one or two off-road settings along with Sport, Snow, whatnot may be in the cards.

Now, if they go with a console dial and retain the screen controller dial, there will be two big dials on the console. Then drivers will have the opportunity to complain about turning the wrong dial. ;) Pictures I've seen on the webinets purporting to be of the 2022 interior show console, steering wheel, and the small touch screen that don't look any different than on my 2020 so those are head fakes. The C&R photo intro to their slide show is an example of the old interior presented as new. The last Mazda stock photo in the C&R slide show has an interior shot which excludes the console. I guess we'll just have to wait for Mazda to do a reveal unless somebody has dug one up.

Anyway, the 2022 trans is purported to be smoother shifting which would address a common complaint. If that's the case, one may be less inclined to momentarily punch in and out of Sport.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's not at all an overdrive override, which simply locks a transmission out of overdrive (generally top gear). And it's not exactly what Sig described either as being intended to simply hold a gear.

What it does it is adjust the transmission shift logic and throttle response, which results in the transmission remaining in gears longer before upshifting, and providing a quicker response to throttle inputs. This overall will make the car more responsive, and it will accelerate quicker as it will already be in a lower gear versus having to first downshift for maximum acceleration. Fuel map does not change, and ultimate acceleration once in the same gear at full throttle will be the same.
Is that listed in the manual or something? I've been trying to find this information but I wouldnt say actively.

Is that listed in the manual or something? I've been trying to find this information but I wouldnt say actively.
Partly, but it isn’t as clear as explained above.

Attachments

• 19F2BDD6-1713-407E-93C4-F0E302C44B33.jpeg
    19F2BDD6-1713-407E-93C4-F0E302C44B33.jpeg
    121 KB · Views: 132
Is that listed in the manual or something? I've been trying to find this information but I wouldn't say actively.
The 2020 manual says little about Sport Mode. The most salient bit is:

 When the sport mode is selected, driving at higher engine speeds increases and it may
increase fuel consumption. Mazda recommends that you cancel the sport mode on normal
driving.
 Drive mode cannot be switched in the following conditions:
 ABS/TCS/DSC is operating
 The Mazda Radar Cruise Control with Stop & Go function (MRCC with Stop & Go
function) System/Mazda Radar Cruise Control (MRCC) system/cruise control is
operating.
 Steering wheel is being operated abruptly

That's about it. It's pretty obvious just driving in Sport that it holds the gear to higher RPMs before upshifting than in Normal mode. As previously mentioned, in less than aggressive driving Normal mode runs through the gears at around 2500 RPM, give or take. In Sport it runs up to 3000 RPM, maybe a little higher.

If you floor it, there may be some slight difference between Sport and Normal since Sport is starting from a higher RPM. However, in Normal the tach will go flying up to the red line is short order so if there is any difference it might not be noticeable.

If you floor it, there may be some slight difference between Sport and Normal since Sport is starting from a higher RPM. However, in Normal the tach will go flying up to the red line is short order so if there is any difference it might not be noticeable.
Someone who's obviously never used it. I rarely do either, but yea... it's, no question, noticeable.

Someone who's obviously never used it. I rarely do either, but yea... it's, no question, noticeable.
Try cruising at 50 mph, floor it to 85 mph, put a stop watch on the two modes and see what you get.

I'm not much of a "sport" driver; the only time I've used the "Sport" mode is when leaving my house there is a long, steep downhill stretch of road. I've found that when in Sport mode, engine braking is much more effective and longer lasting before I have to touch the brake pedal.

Of course, decades ago when learning how to drive, my father said he didn't do much engine braking as he would rather replace the brakes than the transmission!

Try cruising at 50 mph, floor it to 85 mph, put a stop watch on the two modes and see what you get.
I didn't say "it makes the car drive WAY FASTER/BETTER"" or any such nonsense.

I said "It's noticeable, when it's on"

Back