Spied: 2017 Mazda CX-9

I talked to my local dealership sales manager today and she said that Mazda told her to not expect the new CX-9 until the very end of summer, meaning September.
She also said that the delivery schedule has been delayed twice now, but wasn't sure of the reason. If this is true, will it still be a 2016? Seems too late for that and should be a 2017.

Of course they are going to tell you that squidly, they want to see the old ones first, they get MUCH harder to sell when an all new model is on the floor.

Of course they are going to tell you that squidly, they want to see the old ones first, they get MUCH harder to sell when an all new model is on the floor.
Possibly, but I was in negotiations to get my wife a CX-5 and just casually asked about the CX-9. No incentive to sell me a current one.

The 2015 inventory is super slim. Here in the North East, only a handful remain. My local dealer has been sold out for 2 months.

Production already started. You will most likely see the car by May. Unless the OP can provide a link to proof of production delay, I wouldn't believe it.

I agree that the dealer has no better idea than the general public, but I have no doubt that the new model will not hit dealers any time before June, at the earliest. Probably later.

I talked to my local dealership sales manager today and she said that Mazda told her to not expect the new CX-9 until the very end of summer, meaning September.
She also said that the delivery schedule has been delayed twice now, but wasn't sure of the reason. If this is true, will it still be a 2016? Seems too late for that and should be a 2017.

IMO... 2017 at minimum. It seems most models are way ahead of the model year. Look how early the 2016 CX-5 was released. IIRC it was like 12/2014.

I guess I am old school... I like to see model years start in the fall and end in summer.

EDIT and a little OT: I wonder if this was a contributing reason to bring out the '16.5 CX-5 as the '16 Model year would have been extremely long. I think the 2015 CX-5s had the shortest run.

Last edited:
IMO... 2017 at minimum. It seems most models are way ahead of the model year. Look how early the 2016 CX-5 was released. IIRC it was like 12/2014.

I guess I am old school... I like to see model years start in the fall and end in summer.

EDIT and a little OT: I wonder if this was a contributing reason to bring out the '16.5 CX-5 as the '16 Model year would have been extremely long. I think the 2015 CX-5s had the shortest run.

The 2013 model arrived in late February 2012
The 2014 model arrived in late January 2013
The 2015 model arrived in February 2014
The 2016 model arrived early February 2015
The 2016.5 model arrived late January 2016

The new CX-9 will be a 2016. Expect a late May/early June arrival for the first vehicles.

Maybe automakers should resort to Rev #'s versus model years :)

Somehow buying a '16 CX-9 in January 2017 as the "current" model year seems odd to me...unless '16s are only going to be a short run through December.

The new CX-9 will be a 2016. Expect a late May/early June arrival for the first vehicles.

According to the dealer at the Chicago Auto show, there not expecting these at dealerships till August at the earliest.

I did get to poke at one though at the show. Lets just say im kinda meh on it. Some things i really like, other things not so much.

Let's here it ...what did u not like? The only thing that I don't like is cargo space that shrinked a bit and raised tunnel in the middle...other than that all looks great and engine specs sound awesome

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Im not convinced the 2nd row entry for the 3rd row is going to be better. Which is already a sore spot as every time i drive the CX9, im using the 2nd and 3rd rows for my boys. Im also not a huge fan over the rear end design. I liked it in pictures, but in person not so much. I do really like everything they did with the front end. And from the side, its a great looking SUV. I also really like the real napa leather there using, and the wood trim really stands out.

So yea, Like i said, im really going to have to wait till my local Anderson Mazda gets them in. Its going to take a test drive, or even taking one home for the night to really know if this is the next SUV for me or not. Worse case scenario, i keep my 2013 for a couple of more years. :)

They had to say spring, etc. If you say a car is going to be in showrooms, it pretty much takes it off of peoples shopping list. It may remain on an enthusiast's list, but the dealers only care about sales this year, like now.
I agree with the comment above about the rear. Are the lights to thin? The front is great. The whole package is way better looking with the much shorter overhangs. It looked a little bloated before. Where the F! is the ordering guide? They are making them in Hiroshima as we speak.

There were dozens of us in Houston waiting to the see the CX-9 after the Chicago show. Boy, were we disappointed. It was a no show.

Pathetic....u could sit in a 100k+ cars....but not pedestrian mazda...that is suppose to be at stealerships soon enough anyway.

Pathetic....u could sit in a 100k+ cars....but not pedestrian mazda...that is suppose to be at stealerships soon enough anyway.

The reason you can't sit in the auto show model is because it is a pre-production unit. No manufacturer ever lets you sit in one.

Once they are out, it will be available to sit in at auto shows.

Once they are out...no one will give a damn ...cuz ...they will be available in local stealership that doesn't require tickets, long lines and parking...I've seen countless families obviously shopping for a family car...they didn't sit in mazda...they are not even going to consider it....the real reason is the fact they only have one car available and they don't want it to be scratched or demolished inside...more shows to go to...but in the process they are loosing customers

Once they are out...no one will give a damn ...cuz ...they will be available in local stealership that doesn't require tickets, long lines and parking...I've seen countless families obviously shopping for a family car...they didn't sit in mazda...they are not even going to consider it....the real reason is the fact they only have one car available and they don't want it to be scratched or demolished inside...more shows to go to...but in the process they are loosing customers

I'm not quote sure how you lose customers that on a car that will not be out for another 4 months....Sitting in one in an auto show does not sell it. Never has. Driving it and actually experiencing it does.

The purpose of an auto show is to see what's out, get an idea of what you like and go to your dealer to drive it. Not put your deposit down on the spot...

Latest posts

Back