Speedometer Dashlight Pulsing Off and On

Panther

Zoomer not a Boomer
Contributor
:
2016 MAZDA CX-5 GT AWD with TECH PKG / i-ActivSense
Hi All,

2016 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD 32K

Been a long, long time since I posted, but have had a strange thing crop up in the last couple of days.

I was typing in some upcoming locations into my Nav System, when all of a sudden it just shut down and the screen went black and I could not
get it to come back on. I tried turning everything off and waiting a few mins then trying it again. I did not have the engine running as I was in the Garage, but did have the ign on. I have done this very thing many, many times and never had this issue. This happened within a few mins so it shouldn't have been the 30min shut off. After letting it set for a while I went out and started the car and backed out of the garage and the screen came on like normal. ( The Dome Lights do not do this )

So, I thought all was well, but the next evening I noticed that when I opened the door to get in before I started it my Speedo light was pulsing slowing normal and then dim, almost in a perfect rhythm. I've driven it several times and it's still doing it, when the engine is on it doesn't do it. Any Idea what it could be or what's going on ???

I have had a Battery Tender Plus attached for 4-5 days as I don't drive the car very much since I retired. I've been using it off and on for quite a while and not had any issues. The Battery is one of the higher end ones and have had it only about a year.

Appreciate any thoughts or ideas, I'm really concerned as we have plans on a Roadtrip maybe the end of the Month.

Thanks and Take Care,

Craig

Last edited:
The pulsing/breathing effect of the speedo light is a feature. I’m surprised you haven’t noticed it before. I thought I remembered some official documentation about it from Mazda, but I tried googling a couple different things and I didn’t find it anywhere. There’s at least one other thread somewhere on here that mentions it.

Hi All,

2016 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD 32K

Been a long, long time since I posted, but have had a strange thing crop up in the last couple of days.

I was typing in some upcoming locations into my Nav System, when all of a sudden it just shut down and the screen went black and I could not
get it to come back on. I tried turning everything off and waiting a few mins then trying it again. I did not have the engine running as I was in the Garage, but did have the ign on. I have done this very thing many, many times and never had this issue. This happened within a few mins so it shouldn't have been the 30min shut off. After letting it set for a while I went out and started the car and backed out of the garage and the screen came on like normal. ( The Dome Lights do not do this )

So, I thought all was well, but the next evening I noticed that when I opened the door to get in before I started it my Speedo light was pulsing slowing normal and then dim, almost in a perfect rhythm. I've driven it several times and it's still doing it, when the engine is on it doesn't do it. Any Idea what it could be or what's going on ???

I have had a Battery Tender Plus attached for 4-5 days as I don't drive the car very much since I retired. I've been using it off and on for quite a while and not had any issues. The Battery is one of the higher end ones and have had it only about a year.

Appreciate any thoughts or ideas, I'm really concerned as we have plans on a Roadtrip maybe the end of the Month.

Thanks and Take Care,

Craig
There could be separate issues. The infotainment screen went black should be the video driver is acting up. This’s not unusual on CX-5’s infotainment system.

Instrument light pulsing in a perfect rhythm is something new to me. I have never heard this feature on CX-5.

I guess you can take the CX-5 to the store where you bought the battery, and have them test it making sure the battery is within specs.

Thanks You Two, I think I got kind of paranoid after the Video Screen went blank, and with me having the Battery Tender Plus on for a while that I'd had messed something up. So.................that's when I noticed the pulsing dashlights. I actually think that I may have pressed too many things when trying to add in the Locations for our Trip. I'd found some information on techniques/ sequences on getting the screen back on if it were to go off due to outside interference. Although, the Screen came back on after a while and restarting the car later on.

I have checked the battery while off and while running so I don't think it's a battery issue. I did have the chance to drive it for a while yesterday and all things worked great and no issues on any of the
features like screen, maps, radio or even saved songs. The Pulsing when getting in or shutting it down while the lights go off still remains. I've googled for a long time and also searched on this forum and haven't seen anything that talked about it.

If anyone has a 2016 or close CX-5 GT AWD with Tech Package could check and see if their's does this I'd really appreciate it. It's when the door is first opened to get in till you push the start button.

Thanks "GoBroncos" and Ray Take Care,

Craig

The breathing effect is mentioned towards the end of this thread:
Everyone on that thread that lists their CX-5 model has 2017 or newer though. I’m just guessing the 2016 does it also.

WOWSER Thank You so much, I feel so much better and also now I know why it didn't show up in my Search. The "Breathing Effect" Love it !!!

Thanks, I can rest easy now, I really appreciate your diligence in finding it.

Take care,

CK

"The pulsing/breathing effect of the speedo light is a feature. I’m surprised you haven’t noticed it before". I have purchased a new 2021 Mazda 6 a couple of months ago and 'all of a sudden' I am seeing this. I am virtually positive it was not doing this before. If is a 'feature', how can be turned it off? It does not seem normal and so I'm concerned. Thanks

Back