Speaker Wiring help.

:
2014 Mazda3 Sport GS
I am in the process of running new wires to all my speakers because (in addition to deciding on an aftermarket amplifier in the trunk) somewhere along the way my stock wiring started corroding or something and one by one i started to sporadically lose power to my speakers. i checked all the connections at the head unit, re-soldering and testing each wire in the harness that connects my aftermarket head unit to the stock harness and even tried using the stock head unit to no avail.
The rear speakers were easy to do, as the connector that supplies all the wiring to the rear doors had two empty spots that i drilled out and ran the wires through (like i saw on another post here but i cant seem to find at the moment)
However the front ones connect under the dash and don't have enough room to get a drill in. anyone have any suggestions on where/how to run new wires to my front speakers?

if i understand your question correctly, you dont have room in the molex connector to drill out enough room for wires?

what i did was use a pick tool, to depress the tiny part that holds the pin in. i then moved it, to a free space (make sure they match up on the male and female side) and was able to fit 2 16awg wires through (i ran wire for mids, and tweets)

file.php

file.php

I drilled out the connectors in the back but im having trouble with the fronts because where they connect there isn't enough room to get my drill in and drill out the inner connector in the front, only the connector on the door side... maybe i just need a smaller drill lol

those pictures are of the fronts. i had to move the pins around. there should be enough single blank holes to move them around, so that you can create a 2hole x 2hole area, that you can drill you.

or do you mean that you can't get the drill close enough to do that? i have a pretty big drill...

I think the problem is he isnt able to remove the plastic plugs.

stjohans, you see the green part of bfolwer's plug in the 1st picture ?
that is how you get the two plugs apart, you pull on that and it hits an internal catch located in the middle section of the plug, then you cna pull them apart and out to get a drill into them.
I tried everything to run wires through there until I figured that out, and actually, on the rear doors, I literally removed that green piece to run my wires through the area it occupies. while doing the 2nd plug and I pulled on that piece, I was also holding on the plug on the other side to keep it stable, and it popped right off, startled me so bad I thought I broke it until I gave it a good look over :)

Last edited:
Yeah I just checked it out again, and it took some effort but i managed to get the drivers side done. took me like 10 minutes to get the plug outta the car... couldn't fit my fingers in to press the tabs so i had to improvise lol. passenger side hopefully will be done tomorrow once i pick up more speaker wire. thanks for the help guys.

improvisation is key ;)
glad you got it sorted !

the rear (if you havent done it yet) is much easier, I was able to use a flat head screwdriver to pull that out and the plug just slipped free.

Back