Spark plug change at 30,000 service

So I take my wife's CX5 in an oil change and the dealer tells me I am due for the 30,000 service. There is a host of things they supposedly do, but the one that caught my attention was a full spark change? This is the most ridiculous thing I have ever seen done at such a low mileage, 60,000 maybe, 100,000 sure no issue. Can anyone explain why this makes any sense. Sounds like a dealer scam to me. (scratch)

So I take my wife's CX5 in an oil change and the dealer tells me I am due for the 30,000 service. There is a host of things they supposedly do, but the one that caught my attention was a full spark change? This is the most ridiculous thing I have ever seen done at such a low mileage, 60,000 maybe, 100,000 sure no issue. Can anyone explain why this makes any sense. Sounds like a dealer scam to me. (scratch)

Copy and pasted from the CX-5 Maintenance schedule 1:
IGNITION SYSTEM
Spark plugs Replace every 120,000 km (75,000 miles).

I would take my owners manual to the dealer and have circled what Mazda recommends. Your dealer is misinformed or padding the bottom line income. Ed

I would confirm that the plugs don't need to be replaced, take a photo of it and complain the Dealership Owner, to Mazda USA and your State's Attorney General/Consumer Affairs and finally the Better Business Bureau. Service Reps like that need to be confronted in big ways. Those practices end up screwing all consumers.

Of course, all this assumes you had Iridium Plugs

Last edited:
Service Reps like that need to be confronted in big ways. Those practices end up screwing all consumers.

+1

And don't let them convince you that they know better than Mazda USA. Just treat them like the greedy bastards they obviously are. Be polite about it but don't let them create a doubt in your mind about what the actual service schedule is. And then start looking for another place that is qualified to do the minimum amount of maintenance these cars actually need and who don't feel compelled to boost profits at your time and expense. It's mostly oil changes at 5000-7500 miles and rotating tires depending upon conditions/usage, replacing brake pads before they are finished and the air filter before it starts causing significant restriction at peak power. Check the service schedule in your owner's manual for service due at higher mileage. It's very minimal and not expensive.

If you can't trust them to recommend the correct service intervals, how could you possibly trust them in the event that they tell you there is a problem that needs immediate attention? Hopefully, they can eliminate the person who created this falsehood and get back to providing competent and honest service at a price that is reasonable for both parties.

Last edited:
30K is too early of a requirement to change out spark plugs. I'm sure you can tackle the DIY project at around 60k for far cheaper than the dealership.

I made it a point to upload the service guide PDF to my Google Drive, so, I can bring it up any time on my phone or tablet. If they ever suggest a maintenance item, I can quickly pull it up on my phone to check the recommended mileage/month.

My only question is transmission fluid?? I don't see that listed in the maintenance schedule??

I'd think 80,000 miles to 100,000 miles probably??

Last edited:
I made it a point to upload the service guide PDF to my Google Drive, so, I can bring it up any time on my phone or tablet. If they ever suggest a maintenance item, I can quickly pull it up on my phone to check the recommended mileage/month.
My only question is transmission fluid?? I don't see that listed in the maintenance schedule??
I'd think 80,000 miles to 100,000 miles probably??
Dealers are not trustworthy from my many past experiences. The worst to me is they're incompetent of doing quality work for car service. One time I purchased a replacement key fob for our BMW. After 6 months and making a half dozen trips, the dealer still couldn't reprogram the key fob properly with all of its BMW factory computers and helps from BMW of North America. In the end I pulled out my service manual following the instructions and reprogramed it correctly.

I'll never go to my dealer for maintenance and repair unless I have warranty related issues.

Although it never mentioned in the maintenance schedule, I'll do the same like you on transmission fluid "partial" replacement at 80K~100K miles. I'll try to do the rear differential at the similar schedule although our CX-5 shouldn't have any driving conditions as maintenance schedule described which requires the differential oil change at 30K miles. One thing worries me is the spec of Mazda transmission fluid. Looks like there are some issues on Mazda ATF and it has been changing a couple of times on specs according to some internet news from Asia. Hopefully this will be settled at time our CX-5 needs the ATF.

Dealers are not trustworthy from my many past experiences. The worst to me is they're incompetent of doing quality work for car service.

It took three trips, over an hour each trip, for them to install my Genuine Mazda hitch, don't ask...

So I called Mazda corporate and reported the dealership. They are sending me an $80.00 gift certificate towards my next service lol.

Dealers - like Ben Kenobi said "You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy"

I've said it many times. Dealer service centers are their cash stealing center. People fall for many of their change this and that tactics with 500% markup price tag.

Often work is done by HS dropouts who don't know left from right. You are lucky if your car does not get damaged.

The most used lie - "if you touch your car, warranty will not cover any damages". Scared people just let them steal more.

That's all really.

Back