Soon to be New (To Me) 2016 CX-5 Touring - Questions

NTX_MD

Hi all. Getting ready to pull the trigger on a new vehicle. After reading the countless ratings/reviews about the CX-5, I went for a test drive and loved it.

I do have a few questions about some of the active safety features that I really care about, and the dealership was woefully inadequate in providing the answers.

Since I plan on doing the Apple Carplay retrofit on day one, I don't really care about navigation, XM, etc.

I do care about the blind-spot monitoring, rear cross-traffic alert, and smart city brake support.

The one salesperson told me that all 3 of these features are standard on every CX-5 in that generation. The other salesperson told me that none of these features are standard, and that they are only available on certain Grand Touring models with a specific factory installed package.

So my questions are:

1. Are the three of these standard on all of the 1st generation CX-5's?

or

2. Are these standard on a particular level (Touring, Grand Touring)?

or

3. Are these part of a specific package, and if so, what is the package name?

Thanks in advance.

Hey NTX,

I just picked up my 2016.5 today. It does not have the tech package. I'm sure you researched the hell out of this vehicle like I did. The Blind Spot Monitoring and Rear Cross Traffic Alert are 100% on my GT and I believe the Tourings as well. The BSM lights up your mirror if someone is in your blind spot. It lights up your mirror AND audibly alerts you if you turn on your blinker to switch lanes and someone is in your blind spot. This works well as I have already had some practice with it today.

The RCTA only works if 1) you have your transmission set to reverse 2) you are 13 mph or less and 3) a vehicle (not pedestrians) is coming your way between 3-18 mph.

The Smart Breaking is on GT's with tech package I believe. It was not on my GT.

Last edited:
I have a 2016 GT AWD W/navigation. I do not have the tech package. Some features you are wanting are only on GT with Tech package. The 2016.5 has some additional features that are standard. I do not have smart braking but I do have blind spot monitoring (a necessity due to poor side visibility), and with the back up camera u get the rear cross traffic (I have that feature). I think the only way to get all three are with the 2016 GT Tech package or look into 2016.5 models that has additional standard features.

Too much confusion here. Tonysmomma444 you DO have SCBS if it's a US GT.

2016 Touring = Rear Cross Traffic alert and BSM are standard options.
SCBS was a standard option on GT only.
The "Tech package" was optional on Touring. You will know if it has this because it will have LED headlights. This adds SCBS.
The 16.5 model added heated seats and navigation as standard equipment. Nothing else.

Last edited:
Back