Some Input on Summer Plans ..

warrier04

:
03.5 msp
Hey guys
<O:p
Ive been out of the protg scene for a while with school keeping me so busy, but Im back to working and making some money here over the summer.<O:p</O:p
The car is near 60k miles, so along with some standard maintenance, there are some things that need repairing (as well as some things Id like to upgrade). The car currently has an Apex catted midpipe, Injen intake, and a boost gauge.<O:p</O:p
Heres an idea of what Im going for. <O:p</O:p
~ Sway Bar Bushings (F,R)
<O:p</O:p~ SMIC (using stock piping)<O:p</O:p
~ Unichip<O:p</O:p
~ Motor Mounts (F,R,Side)<O:p</O:p
~ Greddy SP2 Catback<O:p</O:p
~ Kartboy Hangers<O:p</O:p
~ Stoptech Rotors (all around)<O:p</O:p
~ Axxis Organic Pads
<O:p</O:p
Any input on the choices? I dont plan on messing with the boost much, so I dont feel like picking up a boost controller would be worth it. Im going for steady, reliable power.
Thanks, yall.
D.<O:p</O:p

Last edited:
--i would go for an exhaust other than the sp2, it actually hurts performance.

--also, i'd consider an AFC over the unichip, especially if you're not going to up the boost much. it's cheaper anyways.

--the smic gets almost no power increase unless you have hardpipes (or at least a Samco hotpipe). especially here in texas where its hot as hell, the smic apparently doesn't yield much...so i would definitely get a hotpipe with it.

--If you DO want an extra pound of reliable boost, go for a new WGA ($65 from crossover or SU or PG)

Last edited:
i have a feeling i'll still get decent results from the smic without hardpipes. a wrapped hot pipe should satisfy my needs.

the greddy (even if it hurts performance) is attractive to me because of its sound and price. i have a tsudo muffler on now, and it sounds good, but just too much droning.

if i cared enough to really get into tuning, i'd pick up the afc. as is, i'd like to do one install and then forget it. my interest is less about getting the most amount of power out of the car, and more of 'just want everything to work reliably'.

i dunno man...you can download pre-tuned maps for the AFC on the sticky in this thread. And people rave about the 'supermap'. Im sure you can find a map for your set up.

Stick with the Greddy SP2. It sounds amazing. And it will not hurt performance. The gains will be little-to-none, but in my opinion, its the best looking and sounds exhaust available.

I agree with 1MORE... The unichip is overpriced and unreliable. I would go for the AFC and save yourself a few bucks

The SMIC is a good move for you. You dont need hardpipes with a SMIC. I've been using the stock pipes for almost a year without any complaints. The stock intercooler is a piece of crap that doesn't flow well at all. You'll notice a difference with the upgraded one.

I would suggest also upgraging to the 626 mani. Not for the additional power, but simply for the fact that it 100% gets rid of the hesitation at 3,000 and 5,500 RMPS

there's been the 'unichip vs afc' debate since I was last on the fourms like a year ago. seems that it always comes down to paying for laziness. practically PnP vs. some elbow grease.

seeing as I know i'll have the car for a while, knowing that unichip has the potential to do that much more makes me feel better upon purchase.

the intake mani is a great recommendation. with the amount i'm dropping on the parts already, it's probably gonna make it's way to the next 'round of upgrades'. coilovers, intake mani, exhaust mani, and custom tune seem to make up that next round. that's quite the ways out, though ...

I have the SP2 and i love it. It sounds different from your typical car, with an exhaust. I also have an 2.5 exhaust cutout, installed in my apex DP.

03.5MSP said:
I have the SP2 and i love it. It sounds different from your typical car, with an exhaust. I also have an 2.5 exhaust cutout, installed in my apex DP.

from what i've read, the SP2 gives off a pretty nice growl when you get on it, but stays fairy subdued for typical driving situations.

is the cutout on the apex pipe electric or manual? and i assume that you put it before the cat ...

warrier04 said:
from what i've read, the SP2 gives off a pretty nice growl when you get on it, but stays fairy subdued for typical driving situations.

is the cutout on the apex pipe electric or manual? and i assume that you put it before the cat ...

yeah its before the cat, and its electric.

1moreMPH said:
--i would go for an exhaust other than the sp2, it actually hurts performance.

--also, i'd consider an AFC over the unichip, especially if you're not going to up the boost much. it's cheaper anyways.

--the smic gets almost no power increase unless you have hardpipes (or at least a Samco hotpipe). especially here in texas where its hot as hell, the smic apparently doesn't yield much...so i would definitely get a hotpipe with it.

--If you DO want an extra pound of reliable boost, go for a new WGA ($65 from crossover or SU or PG)

Dude, are you smoking crack or what?

The SP2 hurts performance? Do you have one? I do...and trust me, it blows better than stock. It also looks awesome and sounds great IMHO.

SMIC makes no power without hardpipes? Again, do you have one? I do, and again, with stock pipes (waiting to install my Samco). I did a track day and felt no heat soak despite thrashing the car.

I do agree with your opinion of AFC over Unichip...I'm waiting for my AFC to arrive.

Last edited:
ya, i've had hardpipes before. they look nicer, but they don't really seem to have much of an impact unless they're replacing a failed stocker (or you're pushing really high boost, which (to me) wouldn't make much since in conjuction with a SMIC).

i'm gonna wrap the hot pipe with exahust wrap, but that's about all the attention the piping is gonna get.

on a different note ... anyone have input on replacing the wastegate actuator? i don't think anything is wrong with my current one, but if there's a decent gain to be had, it's relatively cheap.

Back