Sold the Mazda6

:
Ottawa, Ontario
:
16 Lexus RX350
23 Kia Stinger GT Elite
Hi all.
Well, I just sold my 2017 Mazda 6 GT today. I've been thinking about it since last fall, but decided to keep it as my winter DD.
Many things changed in the last couple of years, and this was the right time to sell it.
2 years ago I had to retire my 2002 Pathfinder. It was my go to vehicle for 19 years, and my winter beater. This meant I only had the Mazda for a bit.
Last summer I ordered and bought my new 2023 Stinger GT Elite. That car is obviously my new garage queen, and thus never saw winter duty this year.
Also last year, my wife passed away (cancer), so I had two similar cars taking up space. I am the only driver of said cars.
It just made sense to sell the Mazda at this point. I put it out there and received several offers, and ended up selling it to a Nissan dealer.
I could have gotten a few dollars more selling privately, but I didn't want to go that route.
I'm a senior now, living alone, and vulnerable, so the last thing I wanted was to have some random guys show up and take my car for a test drive.
For all I know, they could take it out and thrash it, or worse, never come back. There's also the hassle of getting it inspected, safety checked etc.
Then there's the risk of fraud (bad cheque, etc). I just didn't want to take the risk.
I actually had a minimum figure I was willing to take, and Nissan offered more. A local Mazda dealer was the worst BTW. Serious lowball offer.
The car is still pristine with only 43,000 kms on it (about 27,000 miles). It was good to me, but it was time to move on.
Before next winter sets in, I'll probably buy an older SUV as a winter beater again.
Cheers everyone. My time here on this forum was enjoyable.

Thanks for the replies. Life goes on, and sitting around feeling sorry for myself is not very productive.
We had over 50 years together, so I'm grateful for that.

The Stinger has been great so far. Enjoying it very much. I have nothing bad to say about it at this point....and it's bloody fast...lol. It also turns heads wherever I go. People have stopped in parking lots to ask me about it. It's a rare bird.
Not a lot of miles in 8 months of ownership. I have 1,500 Kms on it now, which is just under 1,000 miles. Barely broken in.
I'm already surfing car sites looking for a reasonably priced beater for next winter. Used car prices are still too high. Hopefully the market corrects itself soon.

Sorry to hear about your wife @Buzzman12.

Happy to hear you're happy with the price you got for the 6. I would gladly do the same (sell/trade to dealership) than have to deal with selling to a private party. If that means leaving a bit of money on the table, so be it, but it sounds like you got more than you expected, so that's a happy bonus.

Any specific candidates you're keeping an eye out for a winter beater replacement? I always liked the 2010-2013 Acura MDX personally.

I have been looking on line, and went to look at a 2012 Nissan Xterra today. Took me all of 5 minutes to walk away from it. I've always liked the Xterra, as it reminds me a lot of my old 2002 Pathfinder.
Anyway, the Nissan dealer has it priced way too high for starters, and when I got underneath the car, I was shocked. Rust rust rust everywhere, plus an obvious oil leak under the engine. It also needs a complete brake job. Typically, this truck should be in the $14k region, if it's halfway decent. They have it priced at $17,900. It's probably worth about $8k, if that. Criminal.

The second one I was considering was a 2016 Lexus RX350. 113,000 KMS. Not bad. Price is about $2k under the average for one of these.
Then I saw the Carfax report. Wow.
It's been stolen, vandalized and in an accident. $10,000 in repairs in 2021.
It also shows 6 owners in the past five years. Looks like the owner got it fixed, and dumped it shortly after in each case. Last ownership change was 3 months ago, and it's for sale again.
A hard pass.

Good on you for doing your due diligence. This is obviously not your first go around lol. I always did like the rugged looks of the Xterra, shame that one didn't work out.

Keep us posted! I love a good deal :)

Will do. Enjoying the Stinger for now. Nice weather for it too, considering the time of year.
All the snow is gone here in Ottawa. A first.

My former Mazda6 for sale in Ottawa. Looks good in the pics.

In the meantime, I'm shopping around for a used midsize SUV as my DD. I don't want to put too many Kms on the Stinger.

Wow, it does look really nice. Mileage is really low!

Last update: Brought home the 2016 Lexus RX350 today.
I misinterpreted some of the car fax report. The car has never been in an accident as previously thought. It had been stolen however a few years ago. The car was found before it got loaded into a shipping container. It was not damaged or vandalized, as these thieves do not want to sell a damaged vehicle overseas. Not sure how it works, but the $9K listed on the carfax represents what the insurance company lost in the process of getting it back through the bank etc.
It also didn't change hands that often. Again, the carfax is just reporting the car being transferred from the owner, to the insurance company, to the bank, and eventually back to the owner.
I went over this thing with a fine tooth comb, so to speak. It only has 90,000kms on it. I also misread the ad regarding the mileage. My bad.
I was able to contact the previous owner, who took good care of it. He was very forthcoming. I highly recommend that if you are car shopping and can talk to the previous owner, do it.
I have maintenance records, oil change records, etc. It also has brand new tires on it.
The brakes were a little worn/starting to rust, so I told the dealer I wanted all four corners replaced before I would buy it. To my surprise, they agreed. New brakes all around. There was also a 2" paint chip in the rear bumper, and again, I asked to have it fixed. They repainted the entire rear bumper, no additional charge. Looks brand new back there.
The last concession on their part was their policy of charging an additional $2,000 if it's a cash purchase. These dealers get a 3% kickback from the banks if they can get the buyer to finance it. I usually don't reveal my strategy right away, but in this case I told them I'm not financing it, and I'm also not paying their $2k premium. Take it or leave it. The $2k vanished pretty quickly.
All in all, it's a very nice vehicle. No rust anywhere, including a clean undercarriage.
Drove very nicely, so I'm happy at the moment.
The Stinger gets to enjoy her time resting up in the garage.
I'll probably continue to check in once in a while, but this is probably my last post.
It's a great forum. Always helpful.
Thankyou all.

Back