Sold the 08 AWD and buying a 2012

Alfissimoint.

:
08' CX-9 AWD
So I am back. I have not picked up the 2012 AWD grand touring yet in white but I sold my 08' because of BAD paint and a shuddering driveline. Car was perfect for 137K but I had to move on. I hated a few things about it. So I am looking forward to getting into a newer one.

Any issues with 2012 I should be looking for? I have good experience with my own 08 and I realize there is not a huge change between them but thought I would ask you 2012 folks what you have had issues with. I will be focusing most on transmission and transfer case as well as rear diff. I will have the car overlooked by Mazda if they even know what they are doing.

Thanks!

Look carefully at the interior trim. Some '11s and early '12s had the "aluminum" start to peel off on the door handle or console trim. My '12 had the finish on the steering wheel volume controls start to peel off, but it was replaced under warranty. One thing you can do is try to access all the TSBs for '12, that way you can see the universe of known issues, and look for them before you buy, since you'll immediately be out of warranty.

You are a genius! Why? 'Cause we did the same thing!

Best thing we liked with the switch was the auto door lock when in drive. Had our liftgate not latch when using the button on the liftgate, fixed under warranty, not sure if its '12 only or just the whole line.

Other than that, love the car except the hummer-esque mileage.

Enjoy!

Any issues with 2012 I should be looking for? I have good experience with my own 08 and I realize there is not a huge change between them but thought I would ask you 2012 folks what you have had issues with. I will be focusing most on transmission and transfer case as well as rear diff. I will have the car overlooked by Mazda if they even know what they are doing.

The most significant issue covered by a TSB is loss of vacuum pressure in the brake booster. Originally it only covered the 2010-2011 models, but has been extended to cover 2012 also. Instead of issuing a recall, Mazda has extended the warranty for the part to 7yrs or 90k miles. The brake booster in my 2012 GT FWD failed about two months ago at 41k miles. It was replaced under warranty but the 52 mile drive to the dealership wasn't very fun!

The silver trim on the sides of the center console is easier to scratch than a lottery ticket. The piece on the driver's side of my console is looking a bit worn and I plan to replace it in the next six months or so. The part costs around $50 and I can install it myself.

The only other issue that I've had is with the front brake rotors. I had them replaced under warranty once and when the second pair warped, I spent about $200 on a set of high-performance rotors and pads that work wonderfully.

Back