So I've been looking for a used E46 M3

Retrobmx63

:
08 Mazdaspeed3 - Black Mica
No I'm not calling it quits and selling my car. Just looking for a second RWD play car.

I've always wanted this specific gen M3 and the prices have come down a lot, so I've been looking casually.

I filtered on lowest price, and this gem showed up...
If this is considered "babied" I'm scared to know what his definition of "gently used" is...

4578896402_7da88092e2_o.jpg

and still asking 11k..... i mean i love m3's just as much as the next guy, especially in that blue but.. is that even repairable!? hahaha

Yeah 72,000 miles and crashed....ya seems like a good price...

He's probably the junkyard, and by babied he means he dragged it into a covered area so it wouldn't get rained on.

It's like those CarFax commercials with the car on fire and the description reads, "This car is HOOOTTT!"

I had an 02 SMG M3, it was a fantastic car but there are aspects of it that others do not take in to consideration although it is obvious; the car is expensive to maintain (and that's not calling it unreliable).

First and foremost is the oil, it requires special castrol oil offered through BMW that can range upwards of $16/qt.

They are known to go through rear diff seals (roughly $800 job at any reputable shop).

The rear shock towers and other parts of the under body are known to crack and by crack I mean nearly come apart completely (this is E46 specific, not just M3).
Here's a picture of a rear subframe mounting point that someone caught early before it got worse: http://www.bmwblog.com/wp-content/uploads/gallery_e46sf_011306_2.jpg
This happens so often that there are kits out there consisting of bracing material that you need to have welded in to specific places to remedy the problem.

Food for thought. I sold my M3 since the near $100 oil changes, diff seals, and brakes were costing more than the car itself in time.

I had an 02 SMG M3, it was a fantastic car but there are aspects of it that others do not take in to consideration although it is obvious; the car is expensive to maintain (and that's not calling it unreliable).

First and foremost is the oil, it requires special castrol oil offered through BMW that can range upwards of $16/qt.

They are known to go through rear diff seals (roughly $800 job at any reputable shop).

The rear shock towers and other parts of the under body are known to crack and by crack I mean nearly come apart completely (this is E46 specific, not just M3).
Here's a picture of a rear subframe mounting point that someone caught early before it got worse: http://www.bmwblog.com/wp-content/uploads/gallery_e46sf_011306_2.jpg
This happens so often that there are kits out there consisting of bracing material that you need to have welded in to specific places to remedy the problem.

Food for thought. I sold my M3 since the near $100 oil changes, diff seals, and brakes were costing more than the car itself in time.

Thanks man, I know BMWs are expensive to maintain, and M models make it that much more expensive (gotta pay to play).

I appreciate your insight into specific problem areas though. That said, I have never heard of cars requiring specific oil only available at a dealer. Sounds fishy to me.

Thanks man, I know BMWs are expensive to maintain, and M models make it that much more expensive (gotta pay to play).

I appreciate your insight into specific problem areas though. That said, I have never heard of cars requiring specific oil only available at a dealer. Sounds fishy to me.

If you have to go to a disreputable dealer for all your work you WILL get hosed. Join the BMW Car Club and you'll get a decent discount on parts/labor at many good dealers and indie shops. BMW CCA chapters also put on a ton of HPDEs. If you perform the simple maintenance(oil, brakes, plugs, etc.), the running costs wont be all that bad. As for the oil specific oil recommendation, it may "sound fishy" but the Castrol TWS 10W-60 is the correct oil to use- and it's available from other sources than the dealer. Bavarian Autosport has it for $11/qt.
Me, I'm looking at a pristine E30 M3 with just 54K miles on it...

Last edited:
I have a standard E46 and it's killing me in repairs. I've totalled about $4000 in the last 2.5 years. If I had my way it would be at the bottom of the James River right now but noooooooo my wife loves it too much.

A close friend of mine is the head tech one of California's largest BMW dealerships.. His take?
"I wouldn't own a BMW out of warranty.. the motors are nearly bullet-proof.. it's everything else"

Still the E46 M3 is quite possibly the sexiest vehicle on the road but pales in comparison to the E30 M3.

exactly. Our car has never left us stranded. It's left us able to drive but without windows being able to be rolled up, tail lights that didn't work, sunroofs that didn't close, alternators that didn't charge, oil level sensors that triggered you were out of oil (even when it was full)..........

I have a standard E46 and it's killing me in repairs. I've totalled about $4000 in the last 2.5 years. If I had my way it would be at the bottom of the James River right now but noooooooo my wife loves it too much.

Tell your wife you have a buyer, as long as its not silver :)

Back