2017~2024 Snow chains

Second this.. if you need snow chains, get 16 inch wheels and tires...go with a skinnier profile too but make sure diameter between approx. 28.3 and 29. Check tire calculator to ensure your close to the 28.7 diameter.
Too late. I just got new tires this summer. Seems too much trouble to get a new set of tires exclusively for snowy conditions when I'll only use them a couple of times a year. Chains/Cables seems the better move here.

The dealer made me sign a paper. I contacted Mazda and this was their (Mazda's) response:

This came from Mazda USA.
Ok. So it says you can use chains on front. No problem. Just get all terrain tires ( I run mine all year). The destination at's had little road noise and we're great in winter and summer. The AT2 are supposed to be better. Or get Falken Trails..they have good ratings as well. And put snow chains on front when needed.

Too late. I just got new tires this summer. Seems too much trouble to get a new set of tires exclusively for snowy conditions when I'll only use them a couple of times a year. Chains/Cables seems the better move here.
What are your current tires?

Did you say you have AWD?

AWD with all season tires are good enough to go skiing in Tahoe.
Unlike any other states and locals, CalTrans will plow and sand on every major highways, then screen vehicles for traction devices or AWD/4WD. You should be good with AWD alone. Just don't drive crazy, go with flow.

People in SF don't buy snow tires or winter tires.

Pirelli Cinturato P7 AS Plus might not have any snow rating, maybe Autosox would give extra traction if you need it.

What have you used in the past?

Just a suggestion:

Next time you're in the market for new tires, do yourself a favor and go a step up from allseason and get some good all-weathers or even better all terrains. I listed two of the better quieter all terrain tires already. if you go the all-weathers route, you'll have to do your research on the newer all-weathers.

so anyone ever use a snow sock on a cx5 ??
I never heard of this type of tire traction .. I've used chains and cables on other vehicles ,but now that I have a cx5 , was just wondering how well they work ...
thanks in advance ..

Snow socks are mainly a gimmick. Works better than without any other type of traction device, keep in mind, just like any pair of socks they wear out, it's more of one time use.

Look in ebay, you'll all kind of socks made plastic or alike.

Here is the tire chain notice that came with the paperwork included with my 2019 CX 5 GT Reserve. The dealer kept my signed copy.

I'm retired so when it snows I just hunker down for a couple of days until the snow on the streets melts enough to expose the asphalt. At that point I'm not in fear of going backward down the hill when I'm trying to go forward or not being able to stop at the bottom of a steep section of road. As much as I love my CX 5 I really think it is a serious design flaw that one can't install chains or cables for very occasional use.

For those that have installed all terrain tires, are they much noisier than the stock Toyo's ?
If so I don't know if I want to trade the quiet ride of the stock tires for the half a dozen times a year that I really need tires that are adequate in the light snow we get here.

Attachments

• CX 5 Tire Chain Notice.jpg
    CX 5 Tire Chain Notice.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 138
Here is the tire chain notice that came with the paperwork included with my 2019 CX 5 GT Reserve. The dealer kept my signed copy.

I'm retired so when it snows I just hunker down for a couple of days until the snow on the streets melts enough to expose the asphalt. At that point I'm not in fear of going backward down the hill when I'm trying to go forward or not being able to stop at the bottom of a steep section of road. As much as I love my CX 5 I really think it is a serious design flaw that one can't install chains or cables for very occasional use.

For those that have installed all terrain tires, are they much noisier than the stock Toyo's ?
If so I don't know if I want to trade the quiet ride of the stock tires for the half a dozen times a year that I really need tires that are adequate in the light snow we get here.
Depends on the AT tire. KO2's are unbearably loud, at least to me.
Have used Firestone Destination AT tires for almost 16 years on
previous SUV which were not too much louder than all seasons.
The Fire Dest AT 2's are supposed to be even better/more quiet with a single solid center tread, and different compounds. Falken AT trails are also supposed to be very quiet, based on reviews and would have been my second choice. Maybe see if a friend / acquaintance has these on there vehicle and ask for a test ride. Please see my other threads/posts for more info.

Definitely go for test ride. I took a car for a test ride that had Goodyear AT tires. It was so noisy I couldn't the engine (and barely the stereo).
It is probably the tread design.

This notice came from the dealer, right? Did you contact Mazda USA about it. Because the dealer made me sign a similar notice, however, when I contacted Mazda USA about it, they didn't know anything about that and reassured me I could use chains.

See Mazda USA's response here.

I've seen these devices that look like large nylon cable tie with teeth. You loop it through the spokes and cinch it around the tire.

I guess you need at least two or three per wheel, although even one might help if you were in some really bad slop. I guess you cut them off when you are done using them. Probably not good on ice.

Macandal, did "The Guy over at Mazda Representative, Customer Experience" ever follow up with his statement that he was going to contact the selling dealership to see why they were having customers sign the form regarding prohibition of tire chains ?

It is ridiculous that dealers are coming up with these policies and Mazda Corporate doesn't know anything about it. I'm guessing that a directive did come from Mazda and their bureaucracy is preventing getting to the right level where we can get a true answer.

If you search this Forum for "tire chains" you will find several threads going back several years about what type or brand of cables and chains can be used (on 19" wheels with the standard Toyo tire sizes anyway) and with photos showing possible interference on the suspension components. And as of November of 2021 there doesn't seem to be a solution.

Buying new tires or even a full set of wheels with snow tires to use in snow conditions is a solution of course, but neither inexpensive nor practical for those of us who may only need chains a few times a year for ski trips or those times that the local roads are treacherous with the stock tires.

I

Macandal, did "The Guy over at Mazda Representative, Customer Experience" ever follow up with his statement that he was going to contact the selling dealership to see why they were having customers sign the form regarding prohibition of tire chains ?

It is ridiculous that dealers are coming up with these policies and Mazda Corporate doesn't know anything about it. I'm guessing that a directive did come from Mazda and their bureaucracy is preventing getting to the right level where we can get a true answer.

If you search this Forum for "tire chains" you will find several threads going back several years about what type or brand of cables and chains can be used (on 19" wheels with the standard Toyo tire sizes anyway) and with photos showing possible interference on the suspension components. And as of November of 2021 there doesn't seem to be a solution.

Buying new tires or even a full set of wheels with snow tires to use in snow conditions is a solution of course, but neither inexpensive nor practical for those of us who may only need chains a few times a year for ski trips or those times that the local roads are treacherous with the stock tires.

I
Dwight, never heard from Mazda USA or the dealer regarding this issue.

I agree with you. I don't need snow tires, but I do want to carry some kind of traction device for those times when they are required.

If there is a weather event rated R3 do they just check to see if you have chains or do they have to be installed?

Back