2017~2024 Snow chains

:
2018 CX-5 Touring AWD
I'm in the market for snow chains. I have a 2018 CX-5 Touring (AWD). Can someone recommend good snow chains to get? Thank you.

Would you consider any other traction devices like cables? Regulations might vary on what is acceptable for those carry laws.

I'm in the market for snow chains. I have a 2018 CX-5 Touring (AWD). Can someone recommend good snow chains to get? Thank you.
Where are you that you need snow chains?

Last time I used snow chains was the Blizzard of 93 on a front wheel drive 87 chevy nova(a rebranded toyota corolla). I had gotten the chains from JC Whitney...which is now carparts.com. and they worked great all winter.
Always had good products from JC Whitney. Just recently ordered fender-liner from them, way below dealership price.

Since then, front wheel drive, 4 wheel drive and all wheel drive vehicles with winter or all-terrain tires has always been sufficient.
especially with global warming... we just don't get the winters we used to.
I'm currently running Nokian non-studded.

Unless you are in Canada or one of the few US states prone to severe icy winters, why not just get a good set of Nokian studded tires ? Otherwise check out carparts.com. and get something metal with alot of bite and/or large square links.
Seems they make alot of stuff out of plastic now, so if they have somehow started making cheaper plastic snow chains, avoid it and make sure to get the metal.

On I 70 between Morrison and Dotsero, they want chains but here is an alternative:

Approved for Colorado.

CDOT has approved the AutoSock as the only named alternative traction device to chains that is accepted within the state for both commercial and passenger vehicles.

But if you have " snow flake " tires with good tread or 4 Wheel drive those are accepted.

I think the brand I had was Peerless.

On I 70 between Morrison and Dotsero, they want chains but here is an alternative:

Approved for Colorado.

CDOT has approved the AutoSock as the only named alternative traction device to chains that is accepted within the state for both commercial and passenger vehicles.

But if you have " snow flake " tires with good tread or 4 Wheel drive those are accepted.

I think the brand I had was Peerless.
Couldn't imagine how a long sock could fit over the tire...or whether it was metal, plastic or cloth. Had to look that one up.,

Would you consider any other traction devices like cables? Regulations might vary on what is acceptable for those carry laws.
What is the advantage of cables over chains? I'm in California and all I ever hear here is "chains" not cables.

What is the advantage of cables over chains? I'm in California and all I ever hear here is "chains" not cables.
Well if you hear chains, and the statutes say chains, better get chains🙂

Cables and autosocks, etc. are lighter, maybe easier to install.

Well if you hear chains, and the statutes say chains, better get chains🙂

Cables and autosocks, etc. are lighter, maybe easier to install.
I don't know what the statutes say, I just hear chains whenever some kind of traction is needed in snowy conditions.

For Hwy 50 and I-80 over the summit, CHP will let you go if you drive AWD with some traction on your all season tires. For Yosemite NP, you're required to carry snow chain in winter. NP sometimes require 4WD vehicles to chain up, but they'll likely close entry shortly. AFAIK, cables do qualify as traction device.

I don't know what size wheels are on a 2018 CX 5 Touring model, but my 2019 GT-Reserve which has 19" wheels came with a warning notice not to use chains. Apparently there is not enough clearance between the tires and some suspension components and this has been verified by some members. If you do a search for tire chains there are some photos posted.

I also live in California and in the mountains art 6000' elevation. We only get snow a half dozen times a year. The County does a good job of plowing the roads, but the side streets off of the main highway can be very steep. With the stock Toyo tires I cannot get enough traction to get going at times when I come out of my driveway and turn to go up the hill, and have very little stopping ability as well. I'd sure like a set of chains or cables that I could install in the comfort of my garage for the times that I need them.

The solution would be a set of dedicated snow tires mounted on an extra set of wheels but that seems kind of ridiculous when a set of $40 chains would work if they fit like on a normal car.

I don't know what size wheels are on a 2018 CX 5 Touring model, but my 2019 GT-Reserve which has 19" wheels came with a warning notice not to use chains. Apparently there is not enough clearance between the tires and some suspension components and this has been verified by some members. If you do a search for tire chains there are some photos posted.

I also live in California and in the mountains art 6000' elevation. We only get snow a half dozen times a year. The County does a good job of plowing the roads, but the side streets off of the main highway can be very steep. With the stock Toyo tires I cannot get enough traction to get going at times when I come out of my driveway and turn to go up the hill, and have very little stopping ability as well. I'd sure like a set of chains or cables that I could install in the comfort of my garage for the times that I need them.

The solution would be a set of dedicated snow tires mounted on an extra set of wheels but that seems kind of ridiculous when a set of $40 chains would work if they fit like on a normal car.
I replaced the Toyos and now have Pirelli Cinturato P7 AS Plus (225/55 R19).

I also received a notice to use cables instead of chains (I had to sign a paper that I had been informed about this), but this appeared to have been a dealer issue because when I contacted Mazda, they did not know anything about. So now I'm confused, should I go ahead with chains or cables? Would really love to hear people's opinions on this. Thank you.

If you live in Snow Country, go with dedicated winter tires. Otherwise, cable or chain for occasional ski trip on your AWD front.

If you live in Snow Country, go with dedicated winter tires. Otherwise, cable or chain for occasional ski trip on your AWD front.
I live in San Francisco, not snow country. However, is close enough to snow country areas I'd like to visit.

Here's something from the web...

I think some people get 16" wheels with winter tires and chains to fit.

"California highways have three levels of chain requirements depending on the severity of the storm. Requirement 1 (R-1) dictates that chains be on all vehicles under 6,000 pounds unless they have snow tires. R-2 says chains must be on all vehicles except four-wheel or all-wheel drive vehicles with snow tires. R-3 mandates chains on all vehicles — no exceptions."

I replaced the Toyos and now have Pirelli Cinturato P7 AS Plus (225/55 R19).

I also received a notice to use cables instead of chains (I had to sign a paper that I had been informed about this), but this appeared to have been a dealer issue because when I contacted Mazda, they did not know anything about. So now I'm confused, should I go ahead with chains or cables? Would really love to hear people's opinions on this. Thank you.
Haven't followed this whole conversation but who made you sign?
Mazda, the Mazda dealer, your residential community, or the area you plan to visit? If the Mazda or the dealer did and your car is still in warranty, then since you live in sunny California and don't need snow tires all year then you need to get good all terrain tires
(I am partial to Firestone destination AT 2 or Falken AT trails) and get cables. Otherwise they might use this against you later. If you can afford a 2nd set of rims, then maybe get studded Nokian snow tires or Michelin cross climates for use wherever you are going. If you don't care about the warranty then...
My state may be different than yours as we can run studded tires in winter and chains are optional/allowed( but not required) during snow/ice emergencies. We needed snow chains in the 80's, and 90's but with global warming...not so much now...

Last edited:
R-3 mandates chains on all vehicles — no exceptions.

Before they mandate chains on all, they shut down the highways.

Here's something from the web...

I think some people get 16" wheels with winter tires and chains to fit.

"California highways have three levels of chain requirements depending on the severity of the storm. Requirement 1 (R-1) dictates that chains be on all vehicles under 6,000 pounds unless they have snow tires. R-2 says chains must be on all vehicles except four-wheel or all-wheel drive vehicles with snow tires. R-3 mandates chains on all vehicles — no exceptions."

Second this.. if you need snow chains, get 16 inch wheels and tires...go with a skinnier profile too but make sure diameter between approx. 28.3 and 29. Check tire calculator to ensure your close to the 28.7 diameter.

Haven't followed this whole conversation but who made you sign?
[...]
The dealer made me sign a paper. I contacted Mazda and this was their (Mazda's) response:

Service Request Number 1-XXXXXXXXXXXX

Dear Macandal,

Thank you for being a part of the Mazda family Macandal. Congratulations on your recent purchase of the 2018 CX-5 Touring trim.

Hope you are enjoying the CX-5. I am waiting for mine to arrive next month from production. With regards to your email about the dealership having you sign a form stating that you were advised not to use snow chains. Per owners manual on page 3-46 it states:

NOTE
Use snow chains only on the front wheels.

I will contact your selling dealership to see why they have customers sign the form as we haven't heard of this from Mazda.

If you have any questions in the future, you can reach me directly using the number and extension below. Reference SR: 1-XXXXXXXXXXXX. Have a great weekend!

Sincerely,
The Guy over at Mazda
Representative, Customer Experience

This came from Mazda USA.

Back