smoked rear tail lights...spray can or film?

jandree22 said:
It was civil discussion until a certain flamer arrived to spread his pixy dust ;)

Anyhow, another idea is to purchase GT trim taillights from the dealer. Theyre black bezelled but retain the DOT approved brightness of the lights themselves. This wouldnt be cheap, but you could POSSIBLY offset it by selling your current tails to someone in need, although that might be tricky finding a buyer.

Ive also seen people with other models of cars do a procedure where they actually remove the taillights from their car, bake them in an oven to soften/melt the glue holding them together, then painting the desired surfaces inside the assembly. Although the downside to this one is I havent heard of anyone trying that yet with 5 tails. And personally, Id feel nervous sticking my tails into a 300* oven! haha

I do like your idea and like the look of smoked or blacked at tails, but obviously I just have a problem when they interfere with function. 99% chance you wouldnt have a problem if you would cover your tails in tint, Im just playing devils advocate for that 1 chance out of 100 that a car smashes into you because of it and someone gets hurt.

When was the last time one of your cars had tinted tail lights, or you had a friend that had it? When was the last time you really looked at the effect tinting a reasonable level has on the brightness of the lights? I'm guessing not anytime within the last EVER. The pics above are tinted pretty dark, but I'm guessing that there's a chance lights are still pretty visible thru that tint. Personally, I would have went a shade or two lighter, but hey. Not my car.

king57721, is there any way you can get day and night shots with park/brake lights on so these guys can see what you're dealing with? Maybe someone will get bumped off their high horse and STFU until.

Oh, and most newer cars' head and tail lights don't react well to the oven bake method. Most use a different sealing method than aftermarket lights, and you won't have good luck getting most of the OEM lights open. I'm not sure if any of the AM manufacturers like DEPO make tails for the 5 yet, you may be out of luck, unless you want to risk having to buy a new set.

I have seen what DIY smoked taillights look like in person, and my opinion remains the same. But Ill concede that it doesnt matter in the end its not my car and who am I to say what you do with it. Swoosh, I do hope youre able to get the desired effect with whatever route you decide to go. Dommo, Im sorry I upset you by giving my personal opinion on the Swooshs topic :rolleyes:

Back