Slumlord Rant

Asuna

:
93 Mazda MX-6 LS
Try and picture it. Your ceiling collapses as you lye in bed, all due to the fact that there is a huge hole in the roof that you can see outside through. Your bathroom plumbing, including the toilet with hot water in it, the cold water tap on the old fashioned sink leaking hot water, the tub that has been cheaply fixed with rubber washers. Is all shot, the slumlord calls everyday for months on end to ask if its still leaking never to send a real plumber up and fix it. The only thing you see close to a plumber is an electrician that couldnt fix a garden hose. Only in the end to have a massive leak that flood out the apartment below, the basement and the electrical. It is improperly dried out and the onset of dangerous mold will soon be present. The sink in the bathroom has to be ripped out. It is replaced with a pile of garbage that was ripped out of someone Else's apartment because it was no good. In the midst of all of this the entire apartment buildings water supply is shut off for 2 days straight. Your apartment is a mess because you havent had any water to do laundry or dishes with. So you get a call from the slumlord. She informs you there will be a viewing of your apartment in a half an hour. You call her back and exercise your wrights as a tenant to not allow a viewing of the apartment for 24 hours, because of its appearance. She blows up and tells you she is coming up regardless she has the keys and does not care what you think. She states it is her building and you are to leave the satellite dish you paid for behind or her boyfriend will be talking to you. So you politely tell her that you are upset about the viewing and try and explain to her that its because of the water being shut off for 2 days. Not only that but the fact that you work full time and a shower is a common part of humane everyday life. So they barge in and show the apartment in its state. Meanwhile yelling and hollering at you and calling you down to the lowest the entire time. No thanks for the new fossit or deadbolts (3) that my father and I installed free of charge. We painted the living room a very nice color and it looks amazing, the people viewing it mention that as well. No thanks for that and certainly no money for it as well. So the viewing ends the so called boyfriend plumber shows back up. She tells him to come in and pay me a visit. He tells me I have 24 hours to get out. I calmly reply that I have until the end of the month because I am fully paid up until that time. I also mention the fact that I need 24 hour notice for a viewing and 7 days notice for a so called trades person to fix anything In the apartment. They both say its not true and continue to act like children in a grade two playground. In all of my time I have never encountered such moronic and uneducated building owners. So you finally ask them to leave and they do once the harassment is over with. The RCMP show up and I get the rentlesmen on the phone with him. They both confirm that I am in the right and that I am to be notified 24 hours in advance. the officer said we have a harassment case, illegal entry into a tenants apartment, assault. That is just what I could charge them with from the RCMP. As far as the retalsmen go. I can charge: illegal entry, not registering a damage deposit with the renatlsmen. I dont want to mention any names at this point because I may be taking the case to court. Also deformation of character is a concern of mine.

PIC_0002-1-1.jpg

PIC_0004-1-1.jpg

PIC_0011-2.jpg

that sucks man. I used to do part time work for a slum lord (I didn't know he was one until after I started working for him). Basically I was the maintenance guy for all his properties. The name of the game was make it look good for as little money as possible....quality of repair wasn't an issue. Sorry about your woes and I hope everything turns out for you.

Document EVERYTHING. Get a copy of your lease and contact your local gov't to find out what your rights are. I know in my neck of the woods, if something in an rental was not fixed to the renter's satisfaction, they had the right to withhold rent until the problem was fixed. I'm not saying don't pay rent. Just educate yourself and know what your rights are.

Good luck!

Do you have a lease? If so, and the notification information (x amount of hours to notify you of a walk through, etc.) then you should have a leg to stand on. Like EvilJen said, document everything....

After you leave, call in a complaint to the code compliance department in your city. They will either get some fines for the issues, or maybe even label the apartment uninhabitable until they fix the issues.

That sux, royally! Good luck!

Like others have said take pictures and document everything. Everything to the point that you have dates, times, what was said, and what was/wasn't repaired. Then contact the rentalsman and the county attorney. This will open up a case against the landlord and cause someone to go out the the facility to evaluate the other buildings/apartments as well. Contacting the board of health is not out of the question either as their mold analysis will assist your case.

Your state should have a website that shows the tenant laws and guidelines that landlords are required to follow. This will help educate you with your rights as a tenant.

If the boyfirend shows up again call the cops for harassment. The amount of damage at the apartment would also require a permit with the county as it surely exceeds the minimum $500 in labor in materials. Some states vary on the amount but all states have a minimum amount and a requirement for skilled labor and inspection upon completion.

Good luck!

After you leave, call in a complaint to the code compliance department in your city. They will either get some fines for the issues, or maybe even label the apartment uninhabitable until they fix the issues.

That sux, royally! Good luck!

An apartment here was closed, condemned, auctioned, and restored because of tenants calling the local department and the board of health. It was great for the surrounding community but sucked for the tenants because they were forced to move.

so now she made contact with the new place I'm going and tried to get me not allowed in there. I told the landlord there about all I have been through and they have agreed to allow me in. I actually signed the lease today.

Man I tell you. I am literally writing a book about this experience.

Thanks for all the kind words and advice. I wouldn't want anyone to have to deal with this slumlord. . . . .

so now she made contact with the new place I'm going and tried to get me not allowed in there. I told the landlord there about all I have been through and they have agreed to allow me in. I actually signed the lease today.

Man I tell you. I am literally writing a book about this experience.

Thanks for all the kind words and advice. I wouldn't want anyone to have to deal with this slumlord. . . . .

Good luck! if you have the time you should continue to follow-up with local officials so the slumlord can't do that to someone else.

When we had bad tenants I would always give great reviews when they were looking elsewhere. Figured as long as they were out of my hair I could give them a good review. LOL

Hey, before you leave, make sure you leave an "upper decker".

That is when you take a large s*** in the top tank that holds the water which feeds into the toilet. After a little while the poop will get all mushy and then they will have to clean it out by hand.

You're welcome in advance. (lol2)

Last edited:
LOL thats absolutely disgusting.....love it hahahahahahah

That is when you take a large s*** in the top tank that holds the water which feeds into the toilet. After a little while the poop will get all mushy and then they will have to clean it out by hand.

you could also make a 'doo-doo davinci'..

This is where you take a crap and make some lovely artwork on the wall with the 'used' toilet paper. I would try to replicate Starry Night by VanGogh because the swirl pattern, but that is just my opinion.

Can also be done simultaneously w/ an upper decker.

you could also make a 'doo-doo davinci'..

This is where you take a crap and make some lovely artwork on the wall with the 'used' toilet paper. I would try to replicate Starry Night by VanGogh because the swirl pattern, but that is just my opinion.

Can also be done simultaneously w/ an upper decker.

He can't do it if landlords are so quick to cause a scene. It would better to get out of there with the landlords in the wrong then to give them something to bring up if they ever do end up in court.

He can't do it if landlords are so quick to cause a scene. It would better to get out of there with the landlords in the wrong then to give them something to bring up if they ever do end up in court.

My thoughts exactly.

I had to move a few years back because of a situation like this.. My ceiling collapsed in my kitchen twice in a month.

DSCF0490-vi.jpg

DSCF0493-vi.jpg

this shot you can see it raining in my kitchen
DSCF0475-vi.jpg

Another hole in my closet ruined all my clothes
DSCF0480-vi.jpg

Want to see the reason all this happened? the patio above me never had drainage installed, and flooded after a heavy rainstorm!
DSCF0484-vi.jpg

My lease was ending in a month anyway, so I just moved out, and into a new place. I documented everything with photos (as you saw) and wrote up a document that I had all my neighbors sign after I had them view the damage.

I called the housing inspection board in Philadelphia, and showed them everything. I was able to break my lease and get all my deposits back.

(omg) Holy crap, Sean! And here I complained I had a leaky toilet. LOL!

Yeah, that was July 2004, when I was living in my first apartment in Philly. Three days later I moved out to a much bigger, safer, and less ghetto apartment in Conshy.

I was sick ALL THE TIME when I lived in the pictured apartment. I bet it was mold.

I guess I've been pretty lucky. The last apt's walls were paper thin but the upkeep and maintenance on all my apts. have been top-notch. We once had our AC go out in the middle of the night. The maintenance guy came out and set us up with a portable AC.

Like I said, the only complaint I had was a toilet that would leak slightly on cold days.

Back