Single DIN pocket options?

Dragonpark

:
2003 Mazda Protege5
I recently bought a new head unit that happens to be single DIN instead of the factory double DIN. I was originally going to use the kit that crutchfield had sent me, but the thing just looks downright... ugly. I would love to have a pocket with a door as I play to store a few things in there on a semi permanent basis. Do I have any other options other than the MSP pocket? I really can't justify spending 100 bucks for the pocket and then another 20 bucks for the damn bar. I should be able to perform a small bit of fab work on a pocket to get it working if need be.

spend the money on the bar, then add a radio pocket from a 99-00 miata. the pocket is the same as the mazdaspeed one, but without a door. when i got mine, years ago, i think it was $12-15.

the part number for the support bar is:
TA06-66-9B1

here is the part number for the open pocket:
B02A-66-9M0A

as an alternate, this one is a blank plate:
B03A-66-9M0

OnlineMazdaParts.com lists the pocket for $12, and the blank plate for $7. they also list the support bar for $18.

like i said, i have the bar and the open pocket in my car, and you can't beat it for stock fit and function.

no problem.

it definitely made more sense to me, and it looks so much cleaner than those cheesy aftermarket kits.

the only other item you will need are two clip nuts and screws for them. those can be had at any hardware store.

if you want a door then why not scan the ms fs section here for the ms pocket with door and the bar and hardware from one of the many partout threads.

Bump for this thread!

I have a 2000 Protege with a double DIN stock stereo, and I'm soon gonna be replacing it with single DIN head unit -- and I wanna fill the extra space with that pocket njaremka suggested. But do I need to get that support bar as well, or is that only needed for 2001+ models?

really? i thought mazda went to the double din for the 2001 model year. so, yeah, you'll need the support bar and the pocket to mount a single din radio.

Put in an order with my local Mazda dealership for both the support bar and the open pocket today. I need 'em ASAP and amazingly enough, the parts guy said he can have 'em for me first thing tomorrow morning. Woo!

And now I have a new question .. Are there 'default locations' for the head unit and storage pockets? I know on my MSP, the head unit was on top and the pocket was underneath. But is it possible to do the pocket on top, and the radio beneath? Or is the wiring harness that's in the car not set up to accommodate that? Or does it look stupid?

conceivably, you could do it either way, whatever you prefer. stock has the cubby on the bottom.

^^ Gotcha! Oh decisions, decisions ... and I'll probably wind up deciding spontaneously as I'm actually doing the install.

The looks of the of the pocket up top is subjective. I have the Mazda open pocket on the bottom and like it that way. Can sort of rest my hand on/in it as I'm flipping through my presets with my index finger.

Here's mine:

IMG_0306.jpg

And with a non-Mazda pocket on top:

P1030785.jpg

really? i thought mazda went to the double din for the 2001 model year. so, yeah, you'll need the support bar and the pocket to mount a single din radio.
Bump for this thread cause it looks like you were right! I thought it was a double DIN but I was saying that from memory .. and clearly, my memory is lacking, because after removing the stock stuff, I'm left with this:

SupportBarMaybe.jpg

I'm assuming that thin plastic piece running horizontally across the middle is the plastic version of the support bar, and therefore I don't need the separate support bar that I bought from the dealership?

I want this radio bezel/climate control setup. ^^^^^^^^^^^ I like the perforated edges......................but back to topic. How about the MSP cubby with door or the EDM clock/cubby options for other oem look and fit for single DIN? I have both of those should I ever go single DIN. Also have 3 gauge panel for there too.

+2 on the stereo up top option.......

Last edited:
Bump for this thread cause it looks like you were right! I thought it was a double DIN but I was saying that from memory .. and clearly, my memory is lacking, because after removing the stock stuff, I'm left with this:

SupportBarMaybe.jpg

I'm assuming that thin plastic piece running horizontally across the middle is the plastic version of the support bar, and therefore I don't need the separate support bar that I bought from the dealership?

well, look at that. nope, no need for the MSP support bar. stick your DIN radio in one spot, and slide the pocket into the other. done.

Latest posts

Back