Since it came up; The 2005 Mustang!!

A

AGR

Could this pull me away from a possible 350Z or RX-8 (RX-7) for a future purchase? If what they say is true; and they can offer it for under $25,000 with 300HP, and a completely revised suspension; I guess, anything is possible!
TorchRedGT3.jpg

40.jpg

9.jpg

GTInstrumentCluster.jpg

31.jpg

55.jpg

Last edited:
the orracle said:
it is a very beautiful car. I can picture Steve McQueen driving it(wrc)

bullitt.jpg
WOW!!!! Right from the movie; "Bullitt". Steve McQueen was fantastic! One of my favorite actors. Not to mention that wonderful '68 Mustang he piloted in the movie.

don't expect a GT to come out from $25K. I'd expect a bit more (at least for the first production year). I've heard from some friends at Ford that the new 'stang is priced to sell below the current pricing, but not until they recoup some of the cost from re-tooling.

FWIW, the GT is amazing. My wife graduates from college next year with her Phd. I plan on buying her a Cobra (assuming they are available at that time). She has already picked out colors....white with blue racing stripes....nothing like 450hp, 6-spd manual, and IRS. I will be very happy parking both the new cobra and the Mazdaspeed 6 in my driveway next year (or so!!)

3 valves per cylinder, 300hp, 87 octane, 20mpg.....need I say more?

Dig! The new Mustang will be quite popular. No question. And; Stevie Wonder could even tell ya; it's a Hell of a lot better looking than that nasty new GTO.

7817-5.jpg

rear19.jpg

Last edited:
The only thing I don't like are those retro-style gauges. I like modern gauges.

I have read in a few magazines (even Brit ones) that the new Mustang GT is going to be "around" $25k. Even if the car is over that price, you are still getting a screaming deal (and one that hauls ass as well).

AGR: Agreed, the new GTO is not a looker. When I was having my MSP service I took at look at one. They're not that great, maybe the Judge will bring back the flare that is missing from the GTO.

still a solid rear axle. independent rear suspension is only available on the cobra. revise that one ford!!

GearSlammer said:
still a solid rear axle. independent rear suspension is only available on the cobra. revise that one ford!!
Yeah! That's crazy! And; the hell of it is; the people (most of them) that buy the SVT Mustang (I will always refuse to call any Mustang a 'Cobra'), will use it for drag racing. Give the Cobra a solid rear axle, and independent suspension on the other Mustangs!!! Some s***; they just can't get right!

I won't be buying for 3 years or so, anyway. Maybe by then; they will have independent rear suspension.

Last edited:
yeah i was reading an issue of HOT ROD magazine and they were comparing the SVT to an STI. handling was really close. i think it was the jan. or feb. issue. i smell a track slut.

I have been communicating with ford trying to get them to come out with a "GT-R" Mustang. No leather seats, no AC, Radio, Sunroof, sound deadining et al. Same GT engine, just lower weight. Better brakes, and IRS. Imagine the GT weighing under 3000 lbs. A carving monster with plenty of power to weight ratio. Ford like to pretend that the mustang is a performance car, but they dont make one...
Whatever, that just a pipe dream anyway.

I Guarantee that would sell more so than the GT. OR make a light weight v6 edition (lame as that one is)
--A

AGR said:
Yeah! That's crazy! And; the hell of it is; the people (most of them) that buy the SVT Mustang (I will always refuse to call any Mustang a 'Cobra'), will use it for drag racing. Give the Cobra a solid rear axle, and independent suspension on the other Mustangs!!! Some s***; they just can't get right!

I won't be buying for 3 years or so, anyway. Maybe by then; they will have independent rear suspension.
hes right.
this is a cobra

389043_9_full.jpg

Stealth5 said:
hes right.
this is a cobra

389043_9_full.jpg
amen - shelbys rule the roost!

i'll be the first and perhaps only person in this thread to say that I actually LIKE the new GTO, styling and all. especially considering the fender and body flared garbage of pontiac yore.

They did release a Shelby GT500? at the IAS this year. Looks pretty badass and with Shelby wanting to retire hopping up fords it very well could be built. Hmmm.

Ya know, when I first saw the GT Concept, I was really excited about this car. This was gonna be the car I got rid of the Protege5 for. That thinking has now been replaced by disappointment.

I'm not liking the production version of the concept car. The concept was sleeker, more refined in its overall presentation. This car here, well, it just looks like a mishmash of ideas that got cobbled together (for those of you who need to see visuals, here's the original concept: http://www.dieselstation.com/archive/MustangGT-Concept/index.html ).

Truly a pity - but I think Ford dropped the ball on what was 'promised' and what will be delivered.

The above is all IMHO.

dr_"guess I'll save my $ "_sarcasm.

Stealth5 said:
hes right.
this is a cobra

389043_9_full.jpg
Actually; this car pictured above, is a kit, with the wrong wheels. Halibrands are the correct wheels. Now however; Halibrand is no longer, and TRIGO (Lynn Park's company), make exact replicas.

The car below has the correct wheels, and is an actual Shelby Cobra..
4000BG.jpg

Last edited:
yeah, I might actually buy back into american car companies with that kind of performance for the price- and although the concept did look better, that car still looks pretty sweet

guess I'm missing something here because I don't find the new stang good looking at all. Then again, I didn't really like the older style ones that these are modeled after anyways. Well, there are some exceptions, like the gone in 60 seconds car.

The fogs in the center are way too big. Whoever designed those wheels should be fired. I hate red interior in ANYTHING, it looks so cheap. The mirrors are still black? The lower front grill makes the car look like it's sad, so do the headlights (then again I'd be sad too if I had those wheels on me ), and then there's the spoiler that looks like something from a 90's mx6 or probe and does NOT belong on that car. they could have done something better with the rear quarter windows better as well, and the trunk is too long for the rest of the car.....get my point?

The numbers are impressive.....whoopie doo since ford can't pull it's head out of it's ass and put a decent suspension on their f'n cars if their lives depended on it.

What's funny is, I kind of liked the show car version, but this thing I do not.

Back