Silver Build

FK Headlight Pics!

Wow your car looks perfect! Love how you painted the fog light housing to match the colour of your car haha

Sorry for being a pain but would it be possible to have a night shot with the headlights in action? You are possibly the only one here who has those projector lights from FK on this forum that I know of.

Another user asked about how to remove and install the headlights on the 2. Here is a written description. I'll take some pics soon that correspond with the write-up here.

Here is how to remove and install the headlights, SUPER easy. I have done a similar thing on a few cars, and I think these are the quickest and easiest I have ever done. It just takes some patience.

First: Remove two 8mm bolts that are holding your splash guard on in the wheel well. You'll need to remove the one that is about a quarter inch in from where the bumper cover meets the fender. You'll also need to remove the one that is underneath the bumper cover, behind the pseudo-splitter right there near the edge of the wheel well. This is the same one you would remove to change your foglight bulbs. Then you need to remove one of those plastic pop-fastener style screws. The one you need to remove is near the top of the wheel well, in about an inch from the edge of the fender. Do this for both sides of the car.

Next: Open your hood. There are two relatively large black push-tab screws that hold the bumper in place. They are on either side of the giant Mazda logo near the hood latch. Those can be popped out easily be gently lifting with a flat-blade screwdriver. Next, remove the tiny screws that are on the top of the bumper cover close to the headlights. Now your bumper cover can be easily pulled back while working, making it possible to pull it out far enough to slide your headlights in. The last thing you should do here is remove the large top-facing screws that hold the headlight in place. There are a total of four that hold it in place, but only three are visible from the engine bay. Two of them are back near the rear of the headlight. One has a 10mm bolt head on it, and the one right behind it has a philips-style screw head on it, and it is similar to the other pop tab fasteners throughout the car, except that it is a sheet metal type screw. You'll also have another 10mm bolt headed screw that holds the headlight on right in-between two of the tiny bumper cover screws slightly inboard from the blinker area, on top of the bumper cover. You can't miss it.

Next: Once you've removed those, you can reach down with your hand and grab the bumper cover near the fender on the splash guard side and gently pull it straight out. It will pop off. Tuck the splash guard in under the bumper cover edge. The bumper cover is held in place by about 5 or 6 tabs that snap into the fender from behind. Once you get this loose, I would recommend putting some blue painters tape along the edge so you don't scratch your paint while working, or when you put it back in place later. The last bolt you will need to remove is underneath the headlight, on the outboard side. It faces directly out towards the side of the car, and it is right underneath where the bumper cover meets the fender. Just slightly forward from there. You'll need a ratchet to reach it, something that makes an L shape. Remove that bolt, and now your headlight will be completely free. It slides forward towards the front of the car to remove. It has a long spindle that helps it mount in the right place, so be careful to pull straight forward. You'll need to really pull the bumper cover forward to get this last bit to work, but it's so flexible that it's really pretty easy.

After that point, you can unhook the stock harness from the back of the headlight, mount it to your new headlight, and follow the directions in reverse!!

Wow your car looks perfect! Love how you painted the fog light housing to match the colour of your car haha

Sorry for being a pain but would it be possible to have a night shot with the headlights in action? You are possibly the only one here who has those projector lights from FK on this forum that I know of.

Thanks!!

I will post some night shots for sure. I've been intending to for weeks, but... life. Stay posted.

I like the pic with the light reflecting off the grill emblem...............car looks great and is set up just right IMO. Have considered one of these as replacement for the aging P5 but just can't bring myself to let go of the P5...too much time, money & sentiment invested. Have a truck and SUV too so garage is full. P5 is not a DD anymore and it only sees fair weather action just often enough to keep it alive. One of these would be awesome for gas money savings I bet, only get 20 mpg from truck and I can get 30 out of the P5 if I drive it nice.....but that is hard to do, lol.

The headlights look fabulous!! We need night pics :)

I actually had your car bookmarked as my "perfect" wheel fitment example for a couple months hehe.

And the cherry blossom pictures are so beautiful :'(

Hey Derrick!

Very good. The cutoff is nice and clean with a good step and light coverage is quite good. I would say they are ~10-20% better than stock with halogen bulbs. For reflectors, the stock headlights are quite good, IMO. With an upgrade to HID, these new headlights would be excellent. I just haven't gone there yet. Also kind of waiting to see if a next gen of those H7 LED retrofit bulbs comes out soon. Might consider that over HID.

This was more of a style decision for me. I like the upgraded look of the projectors, no amber inserts, and the LED daytime DRLs are def a bonus and add a lot of premium character to the car.

I will try to get some night time photos posted. The first two times I attempted, I did not bring a tripod and everything was either blurry, or there was movement during the shutter process. I never have a tripod with me, so naturally, it's taking me forever to do this! I will make an effort though :)

How is the light pattern with the headlights?

-Derrick

Last edited:
Hi Everyone!

So, I have an interesting problem now. I moved to California and my car was rejected by smog because the intake and exhaust are not CA legal. Anyone out there looking to get rid of their factory intake or exhaust for a reasonable price? I would even be willing to do a straight trade for my CS exhaust for your factory exhaust since I'll have no use for it any longer. Same for the intake. I have the cold air duct as well. Please let me know asap as I have the DMV suddenly breathing down my neck. Thanks!!!

(Please PM if interested)

Last edited:
You should still be able to use the axle-back section of the exhaust. And for intake...see if anyone with an injen wants to trade, those are 50 state legal. Good luck!

Hey!

Thanks for the reply -

Is the Injen 50-state legal? When I did some searching yesterday, one site that actually still has some said the Injen was not CARB exempt. Does anyone know if the Injen is CA legal? Thanks!

You should still be able to use the axle-back section of the exhaust. And for intake...see if anyone with an injen wants to trade, those are 50 state legal. Good luck!

I just noticed that on the good-win site it said 50-state legal. And since injen sells so many intakes I'd actually be more surprised if it wasnt carb certified.

CARB has a list of certified products and there's nothing for the M2. I think it's too low volume for Injen to bother with the cert.

Latest posts

Back