Show me your CX-5 wheels

I disagree, 20s are the best :) You see the pattern: 18 - 19 - 20, just joking. Now, somebody with a bigger wheel size, should disagree.

lol

well.. to disagree, with your disagreeing of my disagreement...

20's dont allow you to get a tire that has "meat" on it. Your end circumference for the rim/tire is LESS with 20's cause you have to put thinner side walled "street performance" tires. As stated, we dont drive track cars, its a crossover. Urban (wanna be) bada$$, with a touch of Rally sport is the most we can hope for! Throw some beefy rubber so your not scared of curbs (high side wall), which will fill in the wheel well space, and as wide as the tire/wheel well can fit.

Below are some comparative numbers that help clarify the tire sidewall to tread patch ratios, when combined with Rim sizes and "most available" tire sizes for that rim.

a 20 inch rim, with 245/45 tires is no larger (diameter=28.7 or width=9.6) that an 18 (28.6/9.6)! Youve only added .5 of an inch of "rim" by giving up .5 of an inch of tire sidewall. Of course you gain the styling of the rim, but from a styling proportions, not a big jump, considering you spent money for rims and tires.

So 18's too small, 20's too big because of the thin (sidewall) tire.... 19's there to save the day!!

a 19 rim, with 265/50 is 29.4 dia/10.4 width. This is NOT a high performance, DRY weather, track day tire that cost $400+ each (like a 20). The 265/50 is sub $200, long wearing, ALL SEASON tire. Its as "tall" as you can go while have ZERO clearance issues at full lock/compression. Ride comfort is excellent cause theres some rubber between you and the rim, and your almost curb rash proof. Its W_I_D_E!!! so the tire has some "come at me bro" attitude, while not sticking out of the wheel well like a pair of 1980's roller skate wheels.

Urban bada$$, rally sport athletic look mode ENGAGE!

I stand, chest bared, with a gloating, defiant look when I say; 19's are the sweet spot for our CX5!!*

*unless you "like" a different sizem, than just get what "you" like - to each their own!

A

attachment.php

B

attachment.php

C

attachment.php

comp1.jpgComp2.jpgcomp3.jpg

Last edited:
20s are the spot imo. I was able to easily fit a 255/55 tire when I was on H&R and also, I've noticed 20s are pretty cheap... I paid less than 700 once for a set of toyo proxes summer tires with high performance. They are able to grip well even with my modified suspension

Urban bada$$, rally sport athletic look mode ENGAGE!

I stand, chest bared, with a gloating, defiant look when I say; 19's are the sweet spot for our CX5!!

Well, you definitely win points for presentation!

I'm a wagon guy. I've had a bunch of 'em over the years. My last "real" one was an '06 Dodge Magnum SRT8 that I bought new... pretty much the definition of badass.

To me, the CX-5 - and pretty much any CUV - is a tall wagon. I'm not going to off-road it (have a '73 Ford 4WD for that). Since it's a car under the skin, might as well make it look and handle like one. That said, I don't want short sidewalls, which are going to affect ride negatively; I'm more than willing to sacrifice a couple tenths of a g for a better ride. If I want to go tracking, my daily is an '08 Mustang GT with all-aftermarket suspension (CX-5 is my wife's ride). It also has 18s, as do most of the ones that are tracked, while the guys that are more about looks are sportin' 20s.

To those with 20s - those are likely affecting both acceleration and braking; 20s are heavy. Basic physics.

In the end, to each his own. I still think 18s are the way to go. No chest-baring, though (drinks)

Last edited:
T55 is not more fun, but man do I miss it. Right about now, it would be nice to take a ride in one and play with the main gun, with stabilizer.

IMG_0171_zpsvw5dfjsi.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
image_zpsepiwe2zp.jpeg
[/URL][/IMG]
image_zpse80shrdd.jpeg
[/URL][/IMG]

image_zps26teredv.jpeg
[/URL][/IMG]

Pirelli P-Zero 20' with 15mm spacer

In winter 19' Yokohama sportsline wheels
IMG_0820_zps0hub8kre.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
IMG_0812_zpswsowlcjh.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:
Here's my winter setup!

Got these 18's at a good price, but I needed to refinish them before installing them on the car. I was not too fond of the " V " shape detail on the spokes, so I decided to fill them in. Finished in satin black paint. I believe they were originally off a Kia soul, but could not find any pics to confirm. Here some before and afters pics..

50nwpf.jpg

2z7n94z.jpg

14w3ymb.jpg

Last edited:
On a recent trip to Zion.

4808e6b27218c33bf28bf599781077a1.jpg

8d2235f0c75b52de20da4e21ac10acc1.jpg

Motegi Racing MR224
17x8 +30
Falken WILDPEAK AT3W
245/65/17
Stock suspension

Last edited:
Blizzak DM-V2 on Konig Inception 17", in -12*F of Minnesota

attachment.php

Attachments

• _DSC8970_01_did_small.jpg
    _DSC8970_01_did_small.jpg
    221.5 KB · Views: 5,566
New kicks! Drag DR-70 (I know, I know...Discount Tire specials...don't hate [emoji1596]). 18x8. Falken 225/60-18. Fit perfectly flush.
996b4c9c42bb10f947657496580f6701.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hey guys. so i just bought my 2016.5 mazda cx-5 grand touring FWD base model (no extra packages) yesterday. i love it except for the wheels. i can't stand the black color on them.

silver%20and%20black%20rims.jpg

i would much rather have the all silver look. wondering if anyone knows if the 19 inch rim specs on the 2016.5 grand touring model are similar to the 19 inch aluminum alloy wheel's on the 2015 model? that way i could just buy the 2015 19 inch all silver rims & sell my current 19 inch silver/black rims online.

all%20silver%20rims.jpg

They are and I would emidately exchange with you-I will plasti dip mine 19' for next winter season.

How does exchanging rims work? I don't know how that would work with shipping expenses to Germany & vice versa to the U.S. How would I drive my car around during the exchange process? I don't have back up tires or rims to temporarily get by. I'm interested in the idea if we can make it work.

i'm thinking of figuring out a deal with autorimshop.com. has anyone else done this before? they currently have free shipping & carry 4 of the 2015 grand touring silver wheels at a flat rate of $900. they also offer a rebate program where they will buy your old stock rims from you. they are based in farmingdale, new york. hoping i can work out an even exchange or have them send over 50% of the difference in price for my brand new/fresh off the lot 2016.5 black grand touring wheels. that way i have some money for purchasing some more accessories at the mazda dealership. let me know your thoughts.

Back