Should we Change the Club Name??

Should we Change the Club Name?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

BoostedSpd6

Contributor
:
MazdaSpeed 6
This has been discussed as of late, NEPOC stands for New England Protege Owners Club, and while there are a few protege's left in the group, all of them will be gone before we are. On the Cape meet we were called NEMOC New England Mazda Owners Club.. it didnt sound so bad.. Change the name or keep it!! Vote and discuss

Last edited:
This was brought up a while ago and was shot down because of homage to the original name.

Last edited:
Freedom of Speech.. we were called NEMOC on the cape meet.. that is all..

Last edited:
Here is my honest take on this. While I would like to keep the name as an homage to past members and founders, it seems that in the present the word "Protege" is rather lacking. We have 3-5 Protege owners still active in the group?

I know this has caused shaky ground in the past, but we have to look to the future. Most of the past Protege owners have moved on and I am glad to see they kept it in the Mazda family.

Changing the name of NEPOC to NEMOC will instill an all inclusive Mazda group in the New England area. Most people have asked me what NEPOC stands for and it's a bit awkward to answer why I'm part of NEPOC while not owning a Protege. It could also allow for other Mazda owners to join/feel more welcomed just simply because they own a Mazda. I also believe this will set up the group/club/whatever for the future and pretty much future proof for an Mazda model that comes out.

All in all, I do think it might be time for a change of names. We will still be the same fun loving people who own Mazdas, but just a different name. I think someone said it best (Mahk?) when they stated that, "NEPOC is more than just cars." I hope that holds true to this.

Yes, Alex was confused but I let it pass. Lol.

It's true though, we've had a lot of discussion and ideas for different names. As Chris mentioned, there's much history behind the name. However you are correct, times are changing and I agree this might be that time again we think about it.

Also, for those who vote... Please be an active participant in NEPOC and NEPOC events (Ohio crew counts I think?). Don't vote in our poll just to vote on something.

Thanks in advance and I appreciate it.

Though NEPOC kind of flows off the tongue a little better I think it might be time for a change... I have to tell a lot of local speed guys to check it out even though it says it's a protege club..

I tried making an acronym for "NOM" or "NOM NOM" or "OM NOM"

I was close but nothing really worked nicely. Would've been hilarious. Oh well.

ya not going to lie when people look at the sticker and they see nepoc theyre like huh? then i explain and they once again say huh? you have a mazdaspeed 3? lol so im for nemoc lol

it really is the reason I haven't purchased any nepoc stickers or anything. I'd put a NEMOC sticker on my car.

I don't own a protege, and people are just confused when I try and explain it.

I'm in full support of NEMOC.

I guess I'm one of the few when I tell them what it stands for it makes sense being I own one.

I simply don't tell them the acronyms full name. Simply say we are a Mazda club. Had my NEPOC on the RX-8 for years and love it! Represent.

NEPOC...it's kind of a "where we started or came from" i still have a protege, but thats not why i voted to keep the name, for me it's nostalgia...again, where it all started. because i go back to the early days i have a certin "affection for the name". that said, i'm sure we could attract a few more folks if it was NEMOC.....but that attraction is from a far...those who hook up with us, usually stick around not because of our name, but because of who we are and the good times and love for our rides, proteges, miatas, rx8's ms6, ms3, 6,3,323,626....etc...
all of that said...i would not stand in the way of a name change and would eventually come back and join in...JK ;). and the other reason i voted no is because i just bought 25 NEPOC stickas!!!!!(sad2)

Well said Mahk.....I agree with your point. Yes the name change would make more sense and attract more I think, but those we do get, stay b/c you are all a great group of people! Every time I hang out with you guys I have a blast! So I guess with that said I am happy either way!

Back