Shifter play

thrasher

Contributor
:
'02 Protege5
As the temperature has warmed up in the last week or two, I have noticed some issues with my manual trans.

There is a lot of play in the shifter when in 1, 3, or 5th gear. I can move the shifter over an inch forward & back.

I can really feel the shift gates as well.

Think it's a tranny problem? Or just linkage bushings?

in the cold your bushings get really stiff, which is why the shifter feels so good when you first start driving in cold weather. Now that it's warming up, the bushing will be more compliant. If you like the tighter feel, you can get some stiffer urethane bushings.

I dunno if kartboy still makes/sells the shifter bushings for our car though.. I know you can buy them from TWM Performance though :) same thing, just blue instead of yellow :)

Kansei said:
I dunno if kartboy still makes/sells the shifter bushings for our car though.. I know you can buy them from TWM Performance though :) same thing, just blue instead of yellow :)

Kartboy doesn't make shifters for us anymore, but you can still buy shift bushings from them. Here is the link:

http://www.allwheelengineering.com/basket/catalog.cgi?query_net_id=kartboy&query_class=KB-M001

Definitely worth the $35. They even have a link to installation instructions if you need them.

Latest posts

Back