Shark Fin

bushidoboy

:
CX-5 GT
I noticed my antenna or shark fin on the roof seems a little loose. It wiggles a bit left to right and I'm concerned about the seal and if its fully water proof. It rains a lot here, so far no leaks that I noticed, but its strange that its loose...poor build quality? My BMW and my LEXUS "fins" are mounted pretty solid and dont budge at all. Anyone else noticed this? Is this normal or should mazda fix it?

Mazda should fix this. It will corode the fractal (circuit board) antenna inside. No water should get inside car. Sounds like faulty 3m tape to me. Odd that someone would notice this. Lol. Now I have to go out and wiggle mine. Lol.

I have been eyeballing the gap between the roof and fin.... and it wiggles a bit for me as well.... I guess I will put it on the service list for the warranty stuff.

Found post (garage door attacked shark fin) futhur down the list. Fellow explains that there is a large bolt that secures antenna. No 3m tape. Might be we just have to tighten said bolt. Not sure how to get at it as it is under roof liner.

Found post (garage door attacked shark fin) futhur down the list. Fellow explains that there is a large bolt that secures antenna. No 3m tape. Might be we just have to tighten said bolt. Not sure how to get at it as it is under roof liner.

Thanks for everyone's posts...guess its a production thing and many of us have the same issue. Its been raining a lot here and while wiping down the roof I noticed it shift a little. Well a bolt is what I guessed might be holding it on and I'm worried that mazda has to remove the light colored roof liner and some when they put it back there will be some traces of black smudge stains somewhere. Will ask the dealer on Monday

Let us know what they say and what they tighten down. I went in there today. Its simple enough. 3 tab plugs hold liner up at hatch. Remove them with a small flat head. Pull liner down a bit and there is a long type of screw with a nut. 19 mm nut. I tightened the nut, but I don't believe it did anything.

Let us know what they say and what they tighten down. I went in there today. Its simple enough. 3 tab plugs hold liner up at hatch. Remove them with a small flat head. Pull liner down a bit and there is a long type of screw with a nut. 19 mm nut. I tightened the nut, but I don't believe it did anything.

thanks for the info, so you are saying the fin is still a little bit loose even though you tightened the screw. Ok might be a Mazda design issue, all the kinks and bugs get worked out on the customers who get the (1st gen) models. Still havent called mazda yet, will call them on my next day off. Thanks for everyone's updates.

thanks for the info, so you are saying the fin is still a little bit loose even though you tightened the screw. Ok might be a Mazda design issue, all the kinks and bugs get worked out on the customers who get the (1st gen) models. Still havent called mazda yet, will call them on my next day off. Thanks for everyone's updates.

First off, what a bone head the service guy at that Mazda is about warranty on cars they sell.

Yes, it was the same as it was before I tighten the nut.

Finally. A service manual online in how to section. I found this.

< Previous***Next >*

2013 - CX-5 - Body and Accessories

CENTER ROOF ANTENNA REMOVAL/INSTALLATION

1. Disconnect the negative battery cable. (See*NEGATIVE BATTERY CABLE DISCONNECTION/CONNECTION [SKYACTIV-G 2.0].)2. Remove the following parts:a. Front scuff plate (See*FRONT SCUFF PLATE REMOVAL/INSTALLATION.)b. Rear scuff plate (See*REAR SCUFF PLATE REMOVAL/INSTALLATION.)c. B-pillar lower trim (See*B-PILLAR LOWER TRIM REMOVAL/INSTALLATION.)d. Front seat belt adjusting cover (See*FRONT SEAT BELT REMOVAL/INSTALLATION.)e. Front seat belt upper anchor installation bolt (See*FRONT SEAT BELT REMOVAL/INSTALLATION.)f. B-pillar upper trim (See*B-PILLAR UPPER TRIM REMOVAL/INSTALLATION.)g. Trunk board (See*TRUNK BOARD REMOVAL/INSTALLATION.)h. Trunk end trim (See*TRUNK END TRIM REMOVAL/INSTALLATION.)i. Trunk side trim (See*TRUNK SIDE TRIM REMOVAL/INSTALLATION.)j. D-pillar trim (See*D-PILLAR TRIM REMOVAL/INSTALLATION.)k. C-pillar trim (See*C-PILLAR TRIM REMOVAL/INSTALLATION.)3. Remove the rear passenger's assist handle. (See*ASSIST HANDLE REMOVAL/INSTALLATION.)4. Partially peel back the headliner.CAUTION:Be careful not to peel back the headliner excessively. Otherwise it could create a fold-seam in the headliner.5. Disconnect the connector.6. Remove the nut.7. While pressing the center roof antenna tabs in the direction of arrows (1) shown in the figure, press the center roof antenna in the direction of arrow (2) to detach the center roof antenna tabs from the body.8. Remove the center roof antenna.9. Install in the reverse order of removal.< Previous***Next >*Back to Top* 2012 Mazda North American Operations, U.S.A.

Just start near the bottom at rear trim. May have to remove nut, push out antenna and reseat it. Probably not for the faint of heart. Will try this weekend.

Hmmmm I wonder, do they make a replacement cap for them? I'll never use mine and kind of hate having it there as I don't like the look...

I hope your joking. Remove your radio antenna? Good luck with that resale value.

Exactly why bother, to put it nicely. Nearly all premium cars have this shark fin antenna, the cheap low end cars are the few that don't.

But we've had somebody take off the black plastic aero wings on the rear window below rear spoiler, but they were surprised about gaping holes underneath...

No wonder major automakers pretty much ignore everything on automotive forums.

I hope your joking. Remove your radio antenna? Good luck with that resale value.

First off I'm in for the long haul, second I think the shark fin is for sat radio only as the long wave stuff has different antenna requirements than the sat bands I would guess. And yes for the most part I'm kvetching because I don't care for the aesthetic personally... it's rather like a useless appendage, but I didn't really expect such a thing (replacement cap) to exist plus who knows if the question isn't asked.

Exactly why bother, to put it nicely. Nearly all premium cars have this shark fin antenna, the cheap low end cars are the few that don't.
Ferrari, current M3...

No wonder major automakers pretty much ignore everything on automotive forums.

Manufacturers ignore forums because they are too many to follow and yes more than the fair share of silly sh!t gets posted within them, but rather they have cars to engineer. But hey I got two replies to my dumb question, right :p

And yes I'll be checking the solidity of the one still attached to my CX-5...

All in fun gents, all in fun ;)

Last edited:
And yes I'll be checking the solidity of the one still attached to my CX-5...

All in fun gents, all in fun ;)

For sure, I'll be keeping an eye on that appendage, not wanting it to fly off at warp speed.

GT lic pl fr.JPGGT lic pl fr.JPG
Wait, you have the Enterprise edition? :p

GT (gran turismo), check out my GT license plate frame, ricer-effect/good for extra top speed.

View attachment 200278View attachment 200278

GT (gran turismo), check out my GT license plate frame, ricer-effect/good for extra top speed.

I want a plate from Japan for the front ;) not sure how rice that would be...

So I checked out my fin and it's wobbly like the OP's. There is a gasket though and it's plainly visible if I move the dorsal fin or not, this tells me I might not have to worry about water infiltration. I will bring this up at some point (1st scheduled visit or sooner).

Latest posts

Back