Severe hesitation and or lagging

pbarton14

:
2003.5 MSP
so i have new spark plugs 1 step colder , new oem wastegate , new 1st o2 sensor, fmic and just checked and there is no boost leak, when i installled the new wastegate i replaced the turbo exhaust gasket and the exhuast manifold gasket. i have catless corksport exhaust and a secondary o2 bung adapter for the cat delete. i also have a SSAFC . a wideband , oil pressure, and a boost guage.

the turbo builds boost fast and holds it well, no abnormal noises during acceleration or idle .if i hit WOT at low rpms and build it up its slow and the afr's go right down to 10. but most of the time if i get to about 3000 rpms without boosting it seems like it has much morer power.
also this power loss issue has becaome more frequent since i replaced my wastegate. i consider it an intermiddant problem so im curious if it is something simple like coil packs or electrical, or would it be a part of the fuel system? i know if it was a boost leak or if it was a mechanical issue it would happen all of the time.

i do not have a vtcs delete and it got me thinking so i revved the engine up whle i was under the hood and noticed that the actuator arm for the vtcs does not budge. might be associated to a hidden cel for p0660

please help im getting desprete with this damn car lol

seems to be a very common problem, i too have this issue and i have read many other members that have had it as well. i have tried everything with this car it seems. the only answer people seem to give is "bad tune" or "check for a boost leak" wtf is the ssafc for cus it doesnt seem to do jack s*** for me. and as for a boost leak, pretty sure i have checked a hundred times. i am at the point myself where i am replacing everything that has been done to the car from when i bought it. i am starting to wonder if anyone has an msp what doesnt hesitate and run slower then mini vans. i absolutly love my car but im pretty sure turbo fire flys would have more power. im wondering if it would be worth it to build the motor so i can at least up the boost and make some hp but really... will the cars ecu ever let it run properly. maybe a forged motor and a haltech would solve the problem.

let me/us know how it goes.

money would be better spent on a piggyback vs. reflash. Stock ECU sucks. Haltech would rock your world.

I been having the same problem lately but I was thinking the fuel filter or fuel injectors need to be upgraded but also thinking the ecu

The VTCS flaps should only close on a cold start, it should stay open the rest of the time.

the msp ecu seems to be garbage and anyone that says otherwise should be shot. so should mazda for putting it in this car.. alot of people say the ssafc will solve your problems but i call bs on that too. as for destineals haltech comment.... its sounds better and better everytime i say it :) allthough i know they are pretty pricey.

destineal do you have one on your ride now?? what is the price tag on those puppies? 500 or 1000 model?

dont waste your time with a reflash bpardon? have you had a boost leak test done? i am going to get another one done on my msp... for about the countless time. heres to hoping

is your mass air flow in the stock location? If so it maybe taking a dump on you, what is it reading at idle or when its doing it? i can compare to my car if you want. also what vacuum is your car at fully warmed up idling? speaking of vacuum check the line that goes to the wastegate actuator.

how would you go about testing your maf? not sure what it reads at idle but my vac reads -16 to -18 when initially started cus of the higher rpm but as soon as my idle goes down to normal its -19 or 20. my maf is relocated to my cold pipe inbetween TB and BOV. car runs like s*** if i try and boost. if i stay out shes all good. wastegate is a new forge. i do notice sometimes ill boost to 8 and it will die down to about 5.5 or 6 as the rpms climb

the msp ecu seems to be garbage and anyone that says otherwise should be shot. so should mazda for putting it in this car.. alot of people say the ssafc will solve your problems but i call bs on that too. as for destineals haltech comment.... its sounds better and better everytime i say it :) allthough i know they are pretty pricey.

destineal do you have one on your ride now?? what is the price tag on those puppies? 500 or 1000 model?

dont waste your time with a reflash bpardon? have you had a boost leak test done? i am going to get another one done on my msp... for about the countless time. heres to hoping
SSAFC fixed my problem, I don't see why anyone bothers with the dealer "reflash" it doesn't begin to address or fix the problem.

from what i have read it seems to almost make the problem worse especially if you want to up the boost and plan on doing some mods. i wish mine wasnt done.

no no luck yet but i replaced everything that involves ignition, the ontly thing i havent changed is the 2nd 02 sensor and the maf sensor. im almost ready to say f**k it and buy a haltech

On the R4 software for the SSAFC what is the over pressure set to? It should be at 0 or right above or below 0psi. Is the drop down list on that page set to over/under pressure? If that isn't set right the AFC won't even kick on.
I wouldn't spend the money on a Haltech, unless I had an expensive forged engine to worry about damaging. Reset the ECU and re-load the super stock map on the AFC. What are the plugs gapped to?

im experiencing the same thing to... done evreything short of new coils.... what should the plugs be gapped at im going to double check mine

NGK ZFR6F-11 are the stock plugs and the gap is .028-.032". When you buy the plugs they will be gapped to .044" for a N/A protege!

Back