Sensors freak out on cold days

Laurent

:
Mazda CX-5 2014 GT w/Tech
Hi,

I own an CX-5 2014 GT Tech since March 2016. I was wondering if others had some problem with the SCBS. This occured only 2 days ago at -27Celcius when the SCBS inspection required pop up in the dash and the car start to brake by it self only when I entered the indoor parking at work. Its was quite scary.

And 2 days before that (-25 Celcius) its was the TPMS that required an inspection, but since my snow tire rims doesn't have the sensos on them the option is turn off.

But all those warnings didn't came back the day after I appeared.

Should I be concerned and do a check up at the dealer ?

Thank you.

Laurent

Last edited:
I've never had my CX-5 in that cold of temperature.

On the TPMS... no sensors in rims.

Did you take car through TPMS reset procedure using the button the left of the steering wheel?

I didn't do the reset procedure since the warning didn't show up again since that day. But the option was turn off with the switch for the winter tire.

If it comes on again you should do the reset procedure listed in your owners manual....or anytime you swap tires. I am running Blizzaks now and the CX-5 has no issue with TPMS and those tires as the ABS sensors are utilized for that function in lieu of "internal sensors" used on other car models.

I regularly see temps in the -10F to -20F range in the early morning hours during the winter. The only warning light I've ever had come on due to the low temperatures was the LED Headlights warning light. After inspection the lights were working as they should, but the warning light stayed on in the extreme cold.

Kedis82ZE8 is correct regarding the TPMS sensors. The CX5 doesn't have individual sensors on the rims, but rather calculates TPMS measurements via rotational mass.

I haven't had any problems with the SCBS.

Minnesota here. We've had colder temps than that since I've had my '14 CX-5 GT (been lower than -30C). Never had any spurious lights/warnings on the dash. Also, as noted above, no need to turn off the TPMS; just reset it if need be each time you swap tires. FWIW, I swap tires every fall/spring and I've NEVER had to rest the TPMS.

Ok il look at the reset procedure. But just to point out about the tire swap. Its changed the rims not just the tire. So I get a set for winter and one for the rest. But then if they is no sensor in the wheels why would the mazda dealer turn it off after the swap then ?

Anyway thank for the info guys ill look into that in the holidays.

Happy holidays !

Ok il look at the reset procedure.
It's simple: Adjust tire pressures. Turn on ignition. Press and hold the TPMS button on dash until the tire pressure icon blinks and you hear a beep. Done.

But just to point out about the tire swap. Its changed the rims not just the tire. So I get a set for winter and one for the rest. But then if they is no sensor in the wheels why would the mazda dealer turn it off after the swap then ?
Perhaps the dealership person wasn't aware of the 4+ year-old change... (rolleyes)

Back