Sensor catalytic converter, cylinder deactivation - Solved

I was thinking again about this, maybe the swap is not straightforward because it'd need some calibration... perhaps that's one of the reasons why the part isn't sold separately.
The “part number” “706366070” is not the standard Mazda part number, and is not from your sensor (exhaust actuator motor) directly, although the component may look alike. Also we can’t see such number on the side of the white sensor case from your picture in post #3, but only “PYH5-13J40” which is more likely resemble Mazda’s part number. But I’d agree with edmaz that you should spend $49 getting an undamaged one from eBay and give it a try. After all your disconnected “exhaust actuator motor” hasn’t been giving you a CEL, which means the component may not be too important for the cylinder deactivation. And any calibration needed for a new part could not be too significant, or it could be done automatically from re-learning by PCM itself.

Or just use insurance to replace it with a whole new catilytic converter.

Last edited:
Good to read that it worked out so well for you! This becomes one more example of things that the stealerships say which are not true, and it's always great to prove them wrong by taking control of the situation and resolving the problem yourself (in this case for around 1/20th of what they quoted for the repair}.

Quick update: I managed to get my hands on the said part on ebay, got it installed, warning message disappeared, all is good!
Thanks all for the help!!
Thanks for the update!

Back