Seat sets fuel world record

mikeyb

Contributor
:
01 BMW 325xi Touring
659911333120356x236.jpg

A Seat Ibiza has set an average fuel consumption record for its class, returning 81.1mpg and covering 970.6 miles on a single tank of fuel.
Former rally driver Gerhard Plattner left the Martorell facilities near Barcelona with the Ibiza Ecomotive’s bonnet and fuel tank filling mouth sealed.

The Austrian travelled through France and entered Germany at cruising speeds just shy of 70mph, before arriving at the pre-determined finishing point in Frankfurt with fuel still in the tank.

Despite the record having been set, the Ibiza was then driven on to Gttingen, where the seals were removed by the chairman of the International Police Motor Corporation.

Plattner said: “Setting this record has been incredible. Without a doubt, it has been the most spectacular fuel-saving challenge this year.”

Enhancements for the Ecomotive over the standard model include optimised aerodynamics, weight saving and modifications to the 1.4 TDI engine.

http://www.autocar.co.uk/News/NewsArticle.ASpx?AR=239919

Last edited:
It's cars like these why I cannot stand hybrids! I mean, why are we wasting our time with hybrids that get <50 mpg when you have these diesels making nearly twice the fuel economy? Hell, back in the 70's and 80's there were regular gasoline engines doing 50 mpg (then again they also only had like 50 hp, if that).

It's cars like these why I cannot stand hybrids! I mean, why are we wasting our time with hybrids that get <50 mpg when you have these diesels making nearly twice the fuel economy? Hell, back in the 70's and 80's there were regular gasoline engines doing 50 mpg (then again they also only had like 50 hp, if that).

and they weighed maybe half what they weigh now, which is a huge factor as well. with all the retards and ginormous suvs on the road you pretty much have to have all the extra weighted safety equipment

Hell, back in the 70's and 80's there were regular gasoline engines doing 50 mpg (then again they also only had like 50 hp, if that).

Do you mean for mopeds? :D

Now that I remember, my 1983 VW Golf student banger (4mt) had 78hp and was like 18-20mpg but yes, I think with current tech the engines can climb to those numbers easily. Problem is nowadays the consumer is so used to buy power (unnecessarily most of the time)

Do you mean for mopeds? :D

Now that I remember, my 1983 VW Golf student banger (4mt) had 78hp and was like 18-20mpg but yes, I think with current tech the engines can climb to those numbers easily. Problem is nowadays the consumer is so used to buy power (unnecessarily most of the time)
My parents had an old VW Rabbit (I think it was a '79 or an '80) and they talked about how it could get >40 mpg easily. Even more efficient (and less powerful) were the Honda and Toyota cars back then. It is unfortunate vehicles have become so heavy but all things considered, modern engines are quite amazing given the amount of power they can make while still remaining efficient. Hell, my 15+ year-old designed FSDE makes over 200 whp and can still manage 30+ mpg highway. Not the best but still pretty good by today's standards.

I have been around 32mpg since i bought the car last february... i have a 03.5 P5...130K+ miles...It's usually between 31.5mpg and 33mpg...consistantly

I wouldnt mix fuel efficiency and Mazdas together. The engines run really rich to begin, so no low end power = poor fuel efficiency. I'll admit to being very heavy footed with my RX-8 thus half a tank burned for 100 miles but my Mazda 3 is driven very conservatively and burns almost as much gas as the V6 6 I had before. If I had a choice, I would love to have a BMW 320d.

Last edited:
I wouldnt mix fuel efficiency and Mazdas together. The engines run really rich to begin, so no low end power = poor fuel efficiency. I'll admit to being very heavy footed with my RX-8 thus half a tank burned for 100 miles but my Mazda 3 is driven very conservatively and burns almost as much gas as the V6 6 I had before. If I had a choice, I would love to have a BMW 320d.

It's hard to lump the RX8 in with the true mazdas (ie miata, mazda3 etc)

Then again my fiance's 2006 Mazda6 with the Ford Sourced v6 gets 24mpg and my brothers 2007 Mazda3 with the 2.3L gets 30mpg and he's got a lead foot...

It's hard to lump the RX8 in with the true mazdas (ie miata, mazda3 etc)

Discriminating the poor RX-8 already? I believe that is a truer Mazda than any of the rest, starting by the rotary engine soul ;). J/k, I get your point.

My people movers have the same engine as the 2.3L Mazda3, yet for a 50/50 highway/city average ride we just get around 24-25MPG (21-23MPG winter).

Yes, they are heavier than a Mazda6, but the Zoom-Zoom bits (i.e. high gear to RPM ratio and richer gas mix) also contribute to the "poorer" fuel economy, that is compared to several engines on other similar cars (which they are even more boring to drive as well of course)

Discriminating the poor RX-8 already? I believe that is a truer Mazda than any of the rest, starting by the rotary engine soul ;). J/k, I get your point.

My people movers have the same engine as the 2.3L Mazda3, yet for a 50/50 highway/city average ride we just get around 24-25MPG (21-23MPG winter).

Yes, they are heavier than a Mazda6, but the Zoom-Zoom bits (i.e. high gear to RPM ratio and richer gas mix) also contribute to the "poorer" fuel economy, that is compared to several engines on other similar cars (which they are even more boring to drive as well of course)

I hear ya, my first tank of gas in the p5 got 24-25mpg then i switched to Synthetic Motor oil and tranny oil and poof 31-32mg ever since (oh +CAI)

But yeah, bad choice of words for the RX8

I don't get it. Mazda's "rich tune" means nothing here. With the exception of WOT, Mazda tunes their cars just like every other auto manufacturer - they shoot for an air/fuel ratio of 14.7:1 for idle and cruise. Only at WOT or incredibly high RPM does Mazda start to dump fuel.

I don't get it. Mazda's "rich tune" means nothing here. With the exception of WOT, Mazda tunes their cars just like every other auto manufacturer - they shoot for an air/fuel ratio of 14.7:1 for idle and cruise. Only at WOT or incredibly high RPM does Mazda start to dump fuel.

I must also add to your spiel that Mazda's redlines, save the RX8, dont have high redlines in comparison to someone like say, Honduh

True

Getting back on topic...

Seat sets the record for what, 81MPG?

Goto www.vw.co.uk and check out the TDI Polo...they're claiming 80+mpg as well in their 1.4L TDI Polo....these numbers are getting absurd...like you say mikey...Why Hybrid? lol

Speaking of hybrid, how long till hybrid diesels show up getting 25% more gas mileage...say hello to 100+mpg

Back