screw in my engine? was recal preventive work not done like it should be? help!

im confused. sorry. i have to put the intake in without the butterflies as one is damaged and mazda dont sell them individually.

ok i got news! i put the intake and everything else back in today and just finished. i have no VICS and no VTCS now. i was a little worried about the start of the engine and it was a bit weird. when i first started the expected things happened: had to crank over a little longer than normal and some smoke from the engine bay where some fluids dripped on the exhaust parts. about 30 seconds after start i hear the same sound of something ratteling in the engine for about 10 seconds and this pisses me off right away!! but then it stops mysteriously and i never hear it again. the problem i have with this is that its kinda like a ending to a horror movie and it makes me feel there will be another part to all of this. ok i let the eingine run for about 15 minutes while i clean myself up and then i go for a test drive. i go easy at first and drive for about 2 minutes like that. then i flloor it and notice something cool. the car seems to accelerate smooth all the way thru the top rpm range. i havent tested it on the highway yet and ill do that soon and post if i notice anything different. anyway thanks to all who contributed to helping me with this repair.

sorry to dig up my old thread but if there are any people still subscribed to it they may be interested in this. As of last night i got my VICS/VTCS back thanks to CustomMSP from these forums who a few years ago gave me his old intake with the butterflies in it that came from an engine that caught fire. None of the butterflies got damaged during the fire but there was a lot of baked on plastic and rubber which i cleaned off. Anyway my engine is back to original except for the VICS which I now have the redesigned type that do not fall out even if one screw is lost as they sit in a slot in the middle of the bar that opens and closes them.
Why it took me this long to get this fixed? short answer: was not looking forward to 15 hours of work and any surprises that come along the way.
Why i decided to finally do it? Well this is mostly to the bad economy. Gas prices have went up since 2008 and since then i was throwing money away by not having the butterflies in and also im going to Canada next week so the prices are higher there so I just had to do it finally and start saving money. My MPG has gotten down to 24 since 2008 where it used to be above 26. That's not much of a difference but really i threw away money since I was driving my car without the butterflies in the intake. Anyway that's all. If you have questions just ask.

I'm pullin 31-32mpg doing 67mph on my 30 mile each way commuting to and from work in sportauto using AC all the time. Still running without VTCS and the VICS that was red loctited has had no issues. The new 2012 Elantra that is rated 29 city/40 hwy isn't even pulling those numbers yet. Hoping it does after break-in period tho.

Need to start looking for the future. Is the Elantra as much fun to drive, go-cart cornering, better acceleration, ample trunk (no hatch) room pass through, etc?

No way is it as much fun to drive, have go-kart cornering or better acceleration but does have trunk space, pass thru, leg room, aux inputs, homelink rr view. The Genesis coupe we traded in was the fun to drive rear wheel drive similar ride with much better acceleration than the P5 but still didn't corner as good or have near the mpg. We wanted something that was better on gas, had useful back seat room, same size 16" tires all the way around so they are cheaper to replace and can be rotated as well as something we don't have to climb up out of or fall into, is cheaper monthly payment & lower insurance. The Elantra is badass in it's own way tho. Here's a link to pics of it. We did get rr wing, tint, mudguards, oem keychain & oem ss travel mug mods already, lol. Here's link to pics.................

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3933407/2012-hyundai-elantra

I'm pullin 31-32mpg doing 67mph on my 30 mile each way commuting to and from work in sportauto using AC all the time. Still running without VTCS and the VICS that was red loctited has had no issues. The new 2012 Elantra that is rated 29 city/40 hwy isn't even pulling those numbers yet. Hoping it does after break-in period tho.
next week ill be driving to canada for 7 hours and ill monitor my speed and will see what i get. i have smaller tires on now than stock so it will say i went more miles than i actually did. do you still have your stock air intake including that plastic crap that went on top of the radiator??

i12drive,
Thanks for the link. I've seen a few around. It's a great looking ride, particularly in black.
Too bad no hatch.
Elantra & new Focus have caught my attention. Hope I can get another yr out of the P5,
I know I have to start looking.
Thanks.

Anyone know if the recall still good? I dont think the work has been done on my car, should i take it in to the dealer or just pull off the intake and locktite it myself?

im honestly not sure. if you are having the problem now and the recall was years ago im not sure if they will help you, I would call mazda corporate and ask about the recall. I know they didnt do the work for me even though i went for the recall. for me it was cheaper to take apart the intake and remove vics until i got 4 that were in good condition. you lose some bottom end power and and get less mpg with VICS removed.

mazda should be able to check the vin record to see if the recall was done. (if it was a recall - i thought it was only a TSB?)

i12drive,
Thanks for the link. I've seen a few around. It's a great looking ride, particularly in black.
Too bad no hatch.
Elantra & new Focus have caught my attention. Hope I can get another yr out of the P5,
I know I have to start looking.
Thanks.
They do have a 5 dr hatch...Elantra Touring. They are also coming out with a new 5 dr hatch...i30 or something like that. Then there is this 3 dr hatch called Veloster that I think is supposed to be coming out this fall..........
http://www.gizmag.com/hyundai-veloster-curb-concept-and-blue-link-temelmatics-system/17539/
do you have it still on the car i mean. are you using it?
No, all that mess is in a box in the attic.
mazda should be able to check the vin record to see if the recall was done. (if it was a recall - i thought it was only a TSB?)
This was a recall. I remember getting the letter. They swapped mine out while car was in shop for hit and run incident and it was after I had already done the VTCS removal so I have the unmolested recall intake they put on it on my workbench. I actually had another extra intake that I did the VTCS removal on a 2nd time after getting the car back.

Ya i will leave my plastic intake crap off for this long drive next week. the only way i was going to put it back on if it actually increased my mpg.

Back