Scouting for parts...

mihaidd

:
2008 Mazda 2 TE Plus 2008
Hi there. I need your help on a lot of issues...

1. Anybody know the size of the brake rotors for the 2007-> mazda2? (and if you found someone who's making rotors for the new2) The inside bore diameter should be 54,1mm (I haven't checked yet), diameter of the disk is 258mm, 4x100 bolt arrangement, but I still didn't find any compatible replacement disk. Maybe a larger diameter brake disk wouldn't pose a problem?!?
1.1. and if the brake pads from the DY work on the DE... or what company makes brake pads for the new2...
3. I'm waiting for the lower springs to come, so my search for coilovers is, well... over, nobody makes coilovers for the new2.
3. Do you have any idea if I (an amateur) can take the plastic cover off of the engine and find the intake body outer diameter to fit silicone hoses and a carbon dynamic airbox plus aluminium hose to the lower part of the front grill?
4. Anybody know where I can find the hot gas return hose from the valve cover to the intake body? I wanna fit an oil catch tank...
5. I guess a shortshifter is out of the question, no?
6. Anybody found a lightened flywheel maybe? (I know, don't shoot, I'm just saying...)
7. Any info on rear axel brake disk conversion for the new mazda2? It has drums now, they work fine, just need to know if it's possible.

Hi folks, first post on the forum. Wondering how you got on with the search for upgraded brake rotors. I have the new Mazda2 ts2 1.3 in black (my wife has one in red and my dad metallic blue!!). I think this model would benefit from better front brake discs/pads combination, but like yourself, have found no one doing them for the DE yet. Any luck yet? Cheers

No, no news from me, except fitting a BMC DIA 70-130 air filter, I kinda went for the solution VDS Racing (Greece) chose and tested (showcased here on the forum)
10x

Hi there. I need your help on a lot of issues...

1. Anybody know the size of the brake rotors for the 2007-> mazda2? (and if you found someone who's making rotors for the new2) The inside bore diameter should be 54,1mm (I haven't checked yet), diameter of the disk is 258mm, 4x100 bolt arrangement, but I still didn't find any compatible replacement disk. Maybe a larger diameter brake disk wouldn't pose a problem?!?
1.1. and if the brake pads from the DY work on the DE... or what company makes brake pads for the new2...
3. I'm waiting for the lower springs to come, so my search for coilovers is, well... over, nobody makes coilovers for the new2.
3. Do you have any idea if I (an amateur) can take the plastic cover off of the engine and find the intake body outer diameter to fit silicone hoses and a carbon dynamic airbox plus aluminium hose to the lower part of the front grill?
4. Anybody know where I can find the hot gas return hose from the valve cover to the intake body? I wanna fit an oil catch tank...
5. I guess a shortshifter is out of the question, no?
6. Anybody found a lightened flywheel maybe? (I know, don't shoot, I'm just saying...)
7. Any info on rear axel brake disk conversion for the new mazda2? It has drums now, they work fine, just need to know if it's possible.

1. you will need a caliper relocation bracket if you plan to get larger disc. How big do you need to go? Ever thought of looking at Miata fitments? Also, when you go that much larger up front, the brake bias will change as well, especially if you charge the piston size.. but if you are just looking at getting a larger rotor and keep the same caliper or at least caliper piston size, then you can start looking for a steel milling company that can cut a bracket for you. I'm in the USA, so for me to find a race shop that can do that isn't too much of a problem, it all depends on how much you want to spend.

1.1. Once I get the car in my hands, I will talk to my sponsor to see what other options are there (usually the pad will have a model number that is usually common to find among brake pad manufacturers). What kind of pad are you looking for? There's many kinds of performance out there. What is your temperature range and what kind of mu friction coefficient are you looking for? Are you ok with brake noise (like race pads) or do you need something low dust like ceramics pads would offer?

2. Coilovers are easy enough to find (just have to look in japan for what's already there). I'm currently going to source a set of Cusco Zero-1s since they come with camber plates and have one of the best valving and spring setups for the rough USA roads while still maintaining a lot of control. I've raced for many years (over 10 soon) on Subarus using Zeal/Endless, RS*R, Tein, HKS, Apex'i, and Cusco in the process. Bilstein and H&R should be available. What is your budget and what you want out of your car for handling? Here is what I'm about to look into and buy: http://www.rhdjapan.com/cusco-compact-zero-1-coilover-kit-mazda-demio-61368?nflag=1

3. Sure, just get a digital measuring caliper and start measuring. In the USA, we have www.mcmaster.com which is basically a warehouse company that supplies all sorts of items to your design needs. I dont know what it common in Europe though.

4. Ask any mechanic, they'll point it right out. I dont know the European motor very well to point it out to you, but it's not hard to find as it's just a breather hose that goes near the intake manifold from the engine case.

5. Short shifter should be easy enough, but you do you need to know the similar bracket to hook the shifter shaft higher up on the shifter to make it 'shorter'. It can be done, just a matter of some metal engineering to make it happen. http://www.perrinperformance.com/pr...Shifter-5-spd-w-Bushings?category=81&model=10 makes adapters like these for Subarus to fit onto the linkage. Or if you are daring enough, you can get a machine shop to fabricate a new and shorter shifter linkage for you.

6. How much lighter you want to go??? Any lighter and the car will stall out.. it's not like Mazda2 motors make a lot of power to begin with. Also, any lighter than what it is could lead to a mis-firing code (it's been known for a lot of cars..) I've heard some race shops can machine the OEM flywheel down to shave off a few lbs.. but you just have to worry if you are shaving too much mass off the flywheel.

7. Problem is that if you change to a disc system, you'll have to look into how the OEM setup is used. I'm not sure if the rear drums on the OEM system is hydraulic driven. If it's not and it's actually a electronic motor pulling on the dual-channel emergency/parking/side-brake system, then most likely you wont be able to find an effective caliper to match the disc. Unlike Subarus with the rear being multi-link AWD driven systems, the Mazda 2 uses torsion beams. In other words, there's really no "axle". The knuckle, wheel bearing assembly are all bolted onto the torsion beam. As far as I'm concerned, there's really no "upgrade" for this OEM setup. You would need to look for other cars that have similar OEM torsion rear beam suspension and see if they have drum-to-disc upgrades.. and if they do, I would check to see if they are mechanical cable driven or hydraulic driven.

Hope that helps.

2. Coilovers are easy enough to find (just have to look in japan for what's already there). I'm currently going to source a set of Cusco Zero-1s since they come with camber plates and have one of the best valving and spring setups for the rough USA roads while still maintaining a lot of control. I've raced for many years (over 10 soon) on Subarus using Zeal/Endless, RS*R, Tein, HKS, Apex'i, and Cusco in the process. Bilstein and H&R should be available. What is your budget and what you want out of your car for handling? Here is what I'm about to look into and buy: http://www.rhdjapan.com/cusco-compact-zero-1-coilover-kit-mazda-demio-61368?nflag=1

6. How much lighter you want to go??? Any lighter and the car will stall out.. it's not like Mazda2 motors make a lot of power to begin with. Also, any lighter than what it is could lead to a mis-firing code (it's been known for a lot of cars..) I've heard some race shops can machine the OEM flywheel down to shave off a few lbs.. but you just have to worry if you are shaving too much mass off the flywheel.

xenonk you are correct in everything you sai except two things.

2.The de mazda2 doesn't use camber plates because there is no room for camber plates on the top mount.Camber is adjusted by the uper bolt of the front knuckle housing in the shock absorber.This is how i adjust front camber to my xyz super sport coilevers.

6.Jun already has lightened flywheel for the 1.5 and 1.3 mzr engines.
There are two versions.One is 4,6kgr and the other 4,5kgr made by forged Chrome-molybdenum steel.The stock flywheel weights 8kgr.

xenonk you are correct in everything you sai except two things.

2.The de mazda2 doesn't use camber plates because there is no room for camber plates on the top mount.Camber is adjusted by the uper bolt of the front knuckle housing in the shock absorber.This is how i adjust front camber to my xyz super sport coilevers.

6.Jun already has lightened flywheel for the 1.5 and 1.3 mzr engines.
There are two versions.One is 4,6kgr and the other 4,5kgr made by forged Chrome-molybdenum steel.The stock flywheel weights 8kgr.

as much as I like to agree with you, but 2 things:

2. Cusco Zero-1 coilover comes with camber plates with their coilovers. Overmore, engineering for camber plates are doable (I have a sponsor that I've worked with in the past that have replaced OEM top hats with adjustable plates on WRXs, STi, and Legacy GTs.. see www.gtworx.com ).. While it is true for the camber bolt (most McPherson struts have cam bolts to adjust camber) to make all your OEM allowable adjustments, you can get more by getting some wider range cam-bolts from Eibach as well.. On my Legacy GT, I've used both the OEM camber bolt and my coilovers with camber plates on the GT to make this happen and get as much as -3.5 degrees for autocross use (more on that later if you want to know my findings).

The Mazda 2 does have room for camber plates. The real question is "where is the room coming from" and frankly, you can have a coilover that has shorter suspension travel to make up for the necessary height of the camber plate. To further that, just because it's a shorter suspension travel of the shock doesnt mean it will be a rougher ride. Engineering of the shocks total displacement of the shock oil will be determine by the size (40mm or 50mm is plenty of a diameter body to take on the stroke distance compared to assumed stock 25 or 30mm internal cylinder body) coupled with proper spring rates to match the valving. Buy going this route, you can retain ride comfort, minimize roll while still retain independent suspension without the need to upgrade to an oversize front stabilizer bar. There's much more I can go on with this, but you get the picture.

6. Has anyone already installed a JUN flywheel on their 1.5/1.3 motor? If so, any mis-firing code for the flywheel to be nearly half the mass of OEM? Aside from JUN, who else have made one so far for these motors? I can only assume the Exedy/Cusco [all by Daiken anyways] also made a hyper single clutch kit (with lighten flywheel with it?).. I'll have to check their JDM catalog since I havent done enough research with it yet. Anyone went as far as finding an LSD for this Mazda2? I havent seen enough JDM websites to find out who made one yet for this car.

as much as I like to agree with you, but 2 things:

2. Cusco Zero-1 coilover comes with camber plates with their coilovers. Overmore, engineering for camber plates are doable (I have a sponsor that I've worked with in the past that have replaced OEM top hats with adjustable plates on WRXs, STi, and Legacy GTs.. see www.gtworx.com ).. While it is true for the camber bolt (most McPherson struts have cam bolts to adjust camber) to make all your OEM allowable adjustments, you can get more by getting some wider range cam-bolts from Eibach as well.. On my Legacy GT, I've used both the OEM camber bolt and my coilovers with camber plates on the GT to make this happen and get as much as -3.5 degrees for autocross use (more on that later if you want to know my findings).

The Mazda 2 does have room for camber plates. The real question is "where is the room coming from" and frankly, you can have a coilover that has shorter suspension travel to make up for the necessary height of the camber plate. To further that, just because it's a shorter suspension travel of the shock doesnt mean it will be a rougher ride. Engineering of the shocks total displacement of the shock oil will be determine by the size (40mm or 50mm is plenty of a diameter body to take on the stroke distance compared to assumed stock 25 or 30mm internal cylinder body) coupled with proper spring rates to match the valving. Buy going this route, you can retain ride comfort, minimize roll while still retain independent suspension without the need to upgrade to an oversize front stabilizer bar. There's much more I can go on with this, but you get the picture.

6. Has anyone already installed a JUN flywheel on their 1.5/1.3 motor? If so, any mis-firing code for the flywheel to be nearly half the mass of OEM? Aside from JUN, who else have made one so far for these motors? I can only assume the Exedy/Cusco [all by Daiken anyways] also made a hyper single clutch kit (with lighten flywheel with it?).. I'll have to check their JDM catalog since I havent done enough research with it yet. Anyone went as far as finding an LSD for this Mazda2? I havent seen enough JDM websites to find out who made one yet for this car.

LSD Diffs are easy. The transmission is a Mazda F series gearbox if I remember correctly and Cusco offers diffs for them.

-Derrick

So if i understood well,a camber plate can be used under the top mount.But how is it going to be tuned if it is not accessible?You should remove the suspension,adjust it and then put it back on?I will try to post a pic of my top mount and see that at least a conventional camber plate can't be installed.

Cusco has 1-1,5way lsd and I know many mz2s that are already equiped with it!

So if i understood well,a camber plate can be used under the top mount.But how is it going to be tuned if it is not accessible?You should remove the suspension,adjust it and then put it back on?I will try to post a pic of my top mount and see that at least a conventional camber plate can't be installed.

Cusco has 1-1,5way lsd and I know many mz2s that are already equiped with it!

camber plates will replace your top mounts, so when you open your hood, you should see the plate and the top of the strut stick out and all you do is loosen the set screws for the camber plates to slide it around to the desired (and marked) camber settings:

Here is what it looks like for 90% of cars with camber plates on McPherson struts:
EVSEVO7.jpg

Here's one with the shock adjustment dial on the top end of the shaft for the coilover that's in the engine bay (much easier than inverted monotubes since those have the adjustment knobs on the bottom side of the car).

camber%20plate_Large_.jpg

If you are looking for a conventional camber plate installed, you will need to replace your "spherical bearing" aka your top hat with the camber plate. Not all camber plates work with aftermarket xyz coilovers, especially if your coilovers are the kind that still re-use the OEM top hat. You can try though and make sure you still have your conical washer to mate up with your setup (I can only assume you need it). You need your camber plate to not only hold down the spring in place, but then it needs to bolt up to the car.

Here's another example of a very generic camber plate setup:
ie_parts.jpg

Notice that part "e" in the picture is where you bolt that piece to your coilovers to hold the spring in place. Part "d" is where you bolt the piece to your car's strut tower housing. The 6 holes in part "e" are the holes that are used to mate "e" and "d" together in those slots using set screws so that you can slide the top half of the coilover to get your camber.

Last edited:
LSD Diffs are easy. The transmission is a Mazda F series gearbox if I remember correctly and Cusco offers diffs for them.

-Derrick

Odd, someone else on another thread said it was a G9?

Odd, someone else on another thread said it was a G9?

I wasnt the person who did the confirmation. A few guys out of southeast asia mentioned using the Mazda 2 diffs in 99-03 proteges with the F type gearboxes.

Only way to tell for sure is to tear one down.

-Derrick

These are my top mounts.Can an adjustable camber plate be installed there?The opening is too small.

02092010205.jpg

02092010206.jpg

odd, that's not what I remember the 2 being like that. not to say that you can't just do a little hacking with a 3" hole saw can't fix. is your chassis DE???

Yes I have the de chassis.I think now you understand why an adjustable top mount won't fit!!

The only way to adjust front camber is via the uper bolt of the knuckle housing.
http://img169.imageshack.us/img169/9488/11052010066.jpg

PS:Take a look to the thread of my car to get some ideas.I see that you are about to tune your own mz2 for trackday use so I'm waiting for info and videos too!! :Ο)

Last edited:
Back