Scott's Law aka "Move Over" Law

I was driving around Illinois last year for some family stuff, and saw lots of signs that said if I hit a construction worker, I'd be fined $25,000 and go to jail for 13 years. Seems to me that IL is pretty hardcore serious about protecting the workers on their roads... sad that people will still be indifferent. :(

The reason IL is so hardcore about is because thats all chicago spends money on....road construction and changing our toll system. Im sick of it. Roads that actually need fixing, they never work on. and on highways where i see no problem, they close off 2 lanes for a 10 mile stretch (at least) and I sometimes see no work going on, and then I notice no difference at all when it is done.

I'm all for the law but they really need to stop playing these games of 'hide and gotcha'

I get over for emergency vehicles, etc but for the most part this all is a revenue game. a $500-$1000 fine deters regular people just as much as a $10,000 fine... everything in between is just for the coffers.

Guess who's not going home to see their kids after work any more...all it takes is one time.

http://www.suntimes.com/news/metro/1002183,CST-NWS-crash12.article#

I-57 hit-run driver kills road worker

June 12, 2008
Recommend

BY LISA DONOVAN Staff Reporter/ldonovan@suntimes.com

A hit-and-run driver struck and killed one worker and injured another in a work zone on Interstate 57 on Wednesday afternoon, authorities said.

Jose M. Chavez, 42, of Berwyn, was killed. Nicolas Tapia, 39, was treated for minor injuries and released from Stroger Hospital, officials said.

Chavez, a father of four, had worked road construction for two years and knew the job had its perils, his brother Roberto Chavez told NBC5. "He knew that it was dangerous, but he had to work, so he didn't have a choice."

He said his late brother was "a happy guy," a ''hard worker" and "a very good father to his family."

Chavez and Tapia, contract workers for the Illinois Department of Transportation, were removing a lane-closure sign from the left shoulder of southbound I-57 near 119th about 2:45 p.m. when they were hit, IDOT spokesman Mike Claffey said.

The driver then hit the workers' truck, abandoned his car and ran off, but authorities later arrested a 22-year-old Harvey man.

Claffey said the incident was a reminder of the dangers road crews face every day.

The I-57 crash was the 11th work-zone fatality in Illinois this year and the first involving a worker. Work-zone fatalities reached a high of 44, including five workers, in 2003. That's the year Tina Ball, a 36-year-old mother of seven, was killed by a drunken driver as she held a "caution" sign at a construction zone on I-57 at 111th Street.

After the spike in fatalities, the penalties for speeding or hitting a worker in a construction zone were raised. Hitting a worker can bring a $10,000 fine and up to 14 years in prison.

Earlier Wednesday, two IDOT contract workers were killed while painting a bridge in Elgin. They were electrocuted when their bucket lift hit a power line.

Another FL chime in about ignorance.

Yes, i was stupid and road raced in my Jeep. Got pulled over and went to court, plead no contest, found guilty and paid nearly $500 in fees and fines and was on my way. 2 weeks later, letter from tallahassee shows and I've lost my license for a year. Called the court, they said they can't do anything because it's tallahassee, they rule over them. I called tallahassee, and they said it was a new law passed. I was unaware and they politely told me to F*** off and it didn't matter if i was aware of the law or not.

As to Scott's law, it's the same down here. Have seen it happen. Same scenario. Cop on the side of the road with lights on, no car pulled over. It's a setup

We've had this law in KY for as long as I've known (it is a 4pt violation), but I've never seen "the setup" thus far...I'll have to be on the lookout!

Revenue game? Move the **** over, simple as that.
did we miss the part where I said:
PhreakV said:
I'm all for the law
and
PhreakV said:
I get over for emergency vehicles, etc
I'm all for getting over. I do it and never even knew about the law (its not a law in MO to my knowledge).

unless the fine goes directly to the family of the worker/officer that got injured its a revenue game past $500-$1000 dollars. extend the time that people lose their license if you really want deterence/punishment. (and yes I acknowledge that it sucks for the people that have posted that got busted without knowledge, but I'm just trying to offer a suggestion).

unless the fine goes directly to the family of the worker/officer that got injured its a revenue game past $500-$1000 dollars.

I'm not sure what you're trying to get at here. If a cop pulls a car over for speeding, and you fly past him in the right lane, you're in violation of Scott's Law. The same applies to any other Emergency Vehicle, but my example is far more common.

Idot Etp has had I think 5 deaths since the 80s all of them were killed by dumb ass drivers we drive emegency recovery vehicles but everyone thinks we are just tow truck drivers. They don't slow down or merge for us and we have injured personel and deaths. I was at an acci once and some asshole drove around our trucks past a trooper and almost hit me because he didn't feel like sitting and waiting for us to finish. The kid that killed the guy on 57 then ran deserves
Life in the worst jail

acasper, I have been on tows with my buddy who owns Walsh's, and the most ****** up ones are those on 294. Seeing stupid people first hand made me a big supporter of this law.

I know 5 deaths since 80s isn't much but luckly I've got a big truck that's disigned to absorb an impact. My truck has been sideswiped and rearended. Once I had my red and blue lights on I came over a lane and cut off a SUV the lady driveing started honking then went around me and started slamin on her brakes. I deal with so many ignorant moronick assholes all day I wish I could carry a gun and shoot every dumbass I run into

This is just a warning about something that happened to a friend of mine.
She was driving on I-88 in the right lane. She was not speeding. There was an Illinois Police car sitting in the right shoulder with the lights on. The officer was sitting in the car and there was no one pulled over.

She continued in the right lane and passed him. She was immediately pulled over by the cop and cited for violating "Scott's Law" which I found is a law that requires you to move over (if possible) to the left lane if an emergency vehicle is on the side of the road.

She pleaded ignorance of the law but was given a ticket and was assigned a Mandatory court date for which she appeared. She spoke to the judge and he asked her if she wanted a trial. She said that she could not testify that she did not commit the violation but that she was unaware of the law. She pleaded guilty and was fined $100.00.

She thought that was it.

Two weeks later she received a notice from the Secretary of State that her license has been suspended for 3 months because of this violation. She spoke to the Secretary of State office as no one ever mentioned that she would lose her license. As expected, they did not care and if she wanted a hearing on the matter or a hearing to ask for a license to drive to work, she could expect a hearing date in about 3 months.

Just wanted to warn everyone about this. I was not aware of this law although I usually move over anyway. Apparently, in 2007, the state police issued a record number of tickets for this offense.

from IL Sec. of State:

Scott's Law, 625 ILCS 5/11-907(c), mandates that upon approaching a stationary authorized emergency vehicle, when the authorized emergency vehicle is giving a signal by displaying alternately flashing red, red and white, blue, or red and blue lights or amber or yellow warning lights, a person who drives an approaching vehicle shall:
proceed with due caution, yield the right-of-way by making a lane change into a lane not adjacent to that of the authorized
emergency vehicle, if possible with due regard to safety and traffic conditions, if on a highway having at least 4 lanes with not less than 2 lanes proceeding in the same direction as the approaching vehicle.
proceed with due caution, reduce the speed of the vehicle, maintain a safe speed for road conditions, if changing lanes would be impossible or unsafe.

Law or no, I have ALWAYS thought it stupid to see people NOT move over to the next lane or slow down or stop (oncoming traffic prevents you from moving over) when ANYONE is stopped on the shoulder or in the right lane, particularly emergency vehicles.

Move the **** over. Seriously, what's the problem? If you can't, and they know it, you're not gonna get pulled over for it. This shouldn't even be a second thought, and nobody should be complaining about this.

If you don't agree, go park on the shoulder of 294 and get out. Stand next to your door. Enjoy.

(iagree)

I have a question. Is this just an Illinois state law or is it applicable nation wide?

It's another law that shouldn't have to be a law if people would decide to get their heads out of their asses and think about the safety of other people instead of their own immediate gratification. It is blatant disregard for the health and weflare of other humans and that's why a law had to be enacted, because the stupid sheep of this world can't see it.

It is patently UNSAFE to pass any person so near.

Back