Scott's Law aka "Move Over" Law

Shaz

:
Mazda CX7 GT AWD Electric Blue
This is just a warning about something that happened to a friend of mine.
She was driving on I-88 in the right lane. She was not speeding. There was an Illinois Police car sitting in the right shoulder with the lights on. The officer was sitting in the car and there was no one pulled over.

She continued in the right lane and passed him. She was immediately pulled over by the cop and cited for violating "Scott's Law" which I found is a law that requires you to move over (if possible) to the left lane if an emergency vehicle is on the side of the road.

She pleaded ignorance of the law but was given a ticket and was assigned a Mandatory court date for which she appeared. She spoke to the judge and he asked her if she wanted a trial. She said that she could not testify that she did not commit the violation but that she was unaware of the law. She pleaded guilty and was fined $100.00.

She thought that was it.

Two weeks later she received a notice from the Secretary of State that her license has been suspended for 3 months because of this violation. She spoke to the Secretary of State office as no one ever mentioned that she would lose her license. As expected, they did not care and if she wanted a hearing on the matter or a hearing to ask for a license to drive to work, she could expect a hearing date in about 3 months.

Just wanted to warn everyone about this. I was not aware of this law although I usually move over anyway. Apparently, in 2007, the state police issued a record number of tickets for this offense.

from IL Sec. of State:

Scott's Law, 625 ILCS 5/11-907(c), mandates that upon approaching a stationary authorized emergency vehicle, when the authorized emergency vehicle is giving a signal by displaying alternately flashing red, red and white, blue, or red and blue lights or amber or yellow warning lights, a person who drives an approaching vehicle shall:
• proceed with due caution, yield the right-of-way by making a lane change into a lane not adjacent to that of the authorized
emergency vehicle, if possible with due regard to safety and traffic conditions, if on a highway having at least 4 lanes with not less than 2 lanes proceeding in the same direction as the approaching vehicle.
• proceed with due caution, reduce the speed of the vehicle, maintain a safe speed for road conditions, if changing lanes would be impossible or unsafe.

Saw the same exact think on 294 south yesterday. I was like WTF is going on here.

I thought I heard something about if you go over 20 in a construction zone, it is an automatic reckless driving charge. I hate Illinois.

Be careful out there.

I thought I heard something about if you go over 20 in a construction zone, it is an automatic reckless driving charge. I hate Illinois.

In my opinion, ANY speeding in a construction zone is wreckless. Try being a road worker in those conditions with assholes not paying attention as it is, much less speeding, and tell me differently.

I hate ignorance.

I got a ticket for this about 2 years ago, right after the law was put on the books. Needless to say I'd never heard of it. What made it so bad is that there was a police car parked behind the van he had pulled over, and ahead of all that and completely out of view was a biker cop just sitting there waiting for someone to come along and do what I did. That was his only purpose for being there.

The law has all sorts of weird specifics to it. If the speed limit on that road is above x miles per hour, you're required to slow to 20mph below the limit if you can't change lanes. On secondary roads like the one I was on, you're supposed to slow to 20mph if you can't change lanes.

What sucks is that I actually did want to change lanes even though I didn't know the law existed, but there were people in my way, so I just cruised on by. Next time I'm gonna jam the brakes down to 20mph and if I get rear-ended, I get rear-ended. I know that sounds like a knee-jerk reaction, but that's just a stupid law designed to increase revenue without the cops having to work any harder.

Dimitrios-

294 North is three lanes wide, concrete dividers on both sides. No workers anywhere besides a few places near bridges. The construction zone is about 40 miles long.

The speed limit is 45, if you go 65 your basically getting run over by people behind you. So i think that going the speed limit actually increases the danger to workers AND drivers.

I understand if you are on a local road that the speed limit is 35 or something like that, 20 over would be insane. But on a highway, with no one working, concrete dividers; I just find it a bit ridiculous.

Perhaps we could do like every other state and make the speed limit slower when workers are present.

they just started a similar law in delaware...

if there is an emergency vehicle on the side of the road - you are to move over to the opposite lane as conditions permit.

I dont know the actual penalty - but the illinois version seems pretty steep if you ask me...

Move the **** over. Seriously, what's the problem? If you can't, and they know it, you're not gonna get pulled over for it. This shouldn't even be a second thought, and nobody should be complaining about this.

If you don't agree, go park on the shoulder of 294 and get out. Stand next to your door. Enjoy.

i got pulled over for this on IL 20 outside rockford the day the law was enacted. cops had set up an empty unmarked semi on the eastbound division with two empty cop cars to the fore and aft. as soon as i passed the first squad car, another squad pulled out, in front of me, off a side road with the sirens already on. cop walked up with his supertrooper glasses on with the ticket already written. no amount of protest or debate was going to get me out of it, and a guy in his BMW ripped past that officer doing the same thing i had just done. the cop, without missing a beat, flipped on his radio and yelled "someone grab that silver bimmer". sure as s***, another squad jumped off the same side road and went after the BMW.

i didn't get my license suspended, and i am not complaining about the validity of the law, but i will complain about how and why i got it.

as for construction zones, if there are workers present you really shouldn't speed. thats a no-brainer. if there are no workers present, no equipment present and no work being done, then you shouldn't and probably won't get a work zone related ticket.

Dimitrios-

294 North is three lanes wide, concrete dividers on both sides. No workers anywhere besides a few places near bridges. The construction zone is about 40 miles long.

The speed limit is 45, if you go 65 your basically getting run over by people behind you. So i think that going the speed limit actually increases the danger to workers AND drivers.

I understand if you are on a local road that the speed limit is 35 or something like that, 20 over would be insane. But on a highway, with no one working, concrete dividers; I just find it a bit ridiculous.

Perhaps we could do like every other state and make the speed limit slower when workers are present.

I didn't call *YOU* an asshole, much less an ignorant one. I said "I hate ignorance" if you took personal offense to that, I have no intention to apologize because it wasn't pointed at anyone.

I drive 294 while it has construction in the right lane doing the requisite 45 MPH and I'm just fine cruising along at that speed. It took me about an hour to get from 159th Street to Grayslake a few weeks ago doing 45 pretty much the entire way (sans the gaps between construction) and I was none the worse for wear. Do the math and unless you're either driving a significant distance or significantly faster (or both), a 20 mph difference is meaningless for most people on 294.

Want to save time? Leave earlier. Want to not get run over? Drive in the right lane or take another means of getting there. I personally am amused when someone speeds by and 4 miles later they're sharing their life story with Mr. Trooper.

Is it ridiculous? Sure. But the law is what it is. I never understand when people argue against a law because it makes them uncomfortable or don't like it. I don't like a lot of the laws, and I've gotten tickets for speeding myself, but as Ken stated, I'd argue more about the means than the ends.

I still recommend people try to work summer on construction - or any other job they think isn't affected by external actions of others - even if it's filling potholes or picking up trash along a roadside. You'll have an entirely different attitude on how blatantly indifferent drivers are to your safety.

Last edited:
I didn't call *YOU* an asshole, much less an ignorant one. I said "I hate ignorance" if you took personal offense to that, I have no intention to apologize because it wasn't pointed at anyone.

I drive 294 while it has construction in the right lane doing the requisite 45 MPH and I'm just fine cruising along at that speed. It took me about an hour to get from 159th Street to Grayslake a few weeks ago doing 45 pretty much the entire way (sans the gaps between construction) and I was none the worse for wear. Do the math and unless you're either driving a significant distance or significantly faster (or both), a 20 mph difference is meaningless for most people on 294.

Want to save time? Leave earlier. Want to not get run over? Drive in the right lane or take another means of getting there. I personally am amused when someone speeds by and 4 miles later they're sharing their life story with Mr. Trooper.

Is it ridiculous? Sure. But the law is what it is. I never understand when people argue against a law because it makes them uncomfortable or don't like it. I don't like a lot of the laws, and I've gotten tickets for speeding myself, but as Ken stated, I'd argue more about the means than the ends.

I still recommend people try to work summer on construction - or any other job they think isn't affected by external actions of others - even if it's filling potholes or picking up trash along a roadside. You'll have an entirely different attitude on how blatantly indifferent drivers are to your safety.

I was driving around Illinois last year for some family stuff, and saw lots of signs that said if I hit a construction worker, I'd be fined $25,000 and go to jail for 13 years. Seems to me that IL is pretty hardcore serious about protecting the workers on their roads... sad that people will still be indifferent. :(

road construction has one of the highest jobsite-related accident incidences out there.

I agree with the law (and always took it as common courtesy and moved over) so I have no problem with it. Its not that hard - you usually see the lights and sirens about a mile away. Theres NO reason you cant signal and move over before then (or slow down if you cant).

ever watched those videos where people run into the copcar or the civilians car? itll make you think twice about speeding next to them.

Ive personally been on the side of the road when an 18wheeler or fast-moving car goes by. The wind turbulence is enough to move you from a stand-still.

as someone else said - argue the means, not the end.

Scott's law was recently modified to provide protection only when there is an emergency situation on the shoulder. a cop sitting there inside his car doing nothing is passable.

I work for idot I can say with construction they can't remove and put in horses and barrels on a major job they constantly moving from section to section and only makes it more dangerous to have lanes open then close.

For the Scotts law there are lot of law enforcement deaths do to them getting hit while they are getting in and out of their vehicles they are risking their lives to protect us and there are a lot of asses out there that don't care I work along side the state troopers I back them up with my truck and they'll help me with stupid people

With the tickets I mentioned the tollways a lot. The tollways are independent from state and the troopers that work the toll roads get paid extra by the tollway and a percentage of the fines goes to the tollway. For the trooper that took advantage of the law was wrong but if u respect them they will respect u

Back