Scheduled Maintenance beyond Owner's Manual

mpluk1985

:
2013, Black CX-5 Grand Touring AWD 6 spd Automatic
Hi,

I just bought a CX-5 (2013) with roughly 30k miles on it. I'm trying my best to follow the scheduled maintenance per the owner's manual, but noticed it stops at 60k miles. Am I to just extrapolate out based on the mileage/maintenance patterns listed in the first 60k miles to the end of its life?

Also, for rear differential oil the scheduled maintenance says *3*4 and the transfer oil says *4 which reference certain criteria such as towing or dusty conditions or submerged in water. If I don't meet these criteria, do I never have to replace these oils?

And finally, in the tire rotation, I can just swap the wheels right? I don't have to take the tires off the back wheels and put it on the front wheels? (Sorry if this is a dumb question).

Thank you!!

Hi,

I just bought a CX-5 (2013) with roughly 30k miles on it. I'm trying my best to follow the scheduled maintenance per the owner's manual, but noticed it stops at 60k miles. Am I to just extrapolate out based on the mileage/maintenance patterns listed in the first 60k miles to the end of its life?

Also, for rear differential oil the scheduled maintenance says *3*4 and the transfer oil says *4 which reference certain criteria such as towing or dusty conditions or submerged in water. If I don't meet these criteria, do I never have to replace these oils?

And finally, in the tire rotation, I can just swap the wheels right? I don't have to take the tires off the back wheels and put it on the front wheels? (Sorry if this is a dumb question).

Thank you!!

I personally would service the tx'fer case and diff. I also plan on flushing (fluid exchange) the transmission every 40K miles. Overkill? Maybe, but doing regular fluid changes on a transmission are the only option other than not doing them at all, in my experience, unless you want a catastrophic early failure.

Why would you think this constitutes a true tire rotation. Wear rates differ from front to rear. The idea is to mitigate that differential by moving the tires around; not just from side to side. The diagram is in the owner's manual.

I personally would service the tx'fer case and diff. I also plan on flushing (fluid exchange) the transmission every 40K miles. Overkill? Maybe, but doing regular fluid changes on a transmission are the only option other than not doing them at all, in my experience, unless you want a catastrophic early failure.

Do you do the oil changes on the transfer and the diff, and the transmission fluid exchange yourself or do you have a shop that does this for a decent price? Also how often do you do the transfer and diff oil?

Last edited:
Do you do the oil changes on the transfer and the diff, and the transmission fluid exchange yourself or do you have a shop that does this for a decent price? Also how often do you do the transfer and diff oil?
I will have the dealer do it.
$95 for the diff.
$115 for txfer case.
Peanuts compared to maintaining the QDII in my old grand heap cherokee.

Dealer for sure on the trans fluid. Unsure of the cost.

I will have the dealer do it.
$95 for the diff.
$115 for txfer case.
Peanuts compared to maintaining the QDII in my old grand heap cherokee.

Dealer for sure on the trans fluid. Unsure of the cost.

How often do you change the transfer oil and differential oil?

Thanks.

Back