Samsung galaxy s4

darekd

:
2014 CX-5 AWD GT w/Tech Sky Blue
I just bought a new Samsung galaxy s4 and it works very well with my Mazda cx5 2014. Bluetooth connects quickly and reliably. I tried other music apps beside Pandora and they do display artist name, song and album. The only thing that is not working is song progress. It stays at 0.00 all the time. Also, I am able to download text messages to my cx5.

Darek what android version (exactly) is on your s4 and which carrier do you have? I have an HTC phone on AT&T (Android 4.1.1) but my bluetooth profile doesn't support song title, album, etc. I very much want to know if this has finally been added to newer android versions.

Darek what android version (exactly) is on your s4 and which carrier do you have? I have an HTC phone on AT&T (Android 4.1.1) but my bluetooth profile doesn't support song title, album, etc. I very much want to know if this has finally been added to newer android versions.

It's Verizon phone with Android 4.2.2.

Last edited:
New member, first time poster.

Just picked up my CX-5 last week and was in the process of updating my phone as well. I had it narrowed down to the Galaxy S4 and the HTC One. Anyone have experience with the HTC One and its connectivity and display?

Thanks for the assistance and have appreciated reading all the information on the board.

Currently, Android kernel does not support AVRCP v1.3 which is responsible to display metadata information like the artist name. As presented at Google I/0 2013, android API level 18 (which will be available in a few months), will support AVRCP v1.3.

It is possible to see the artist name using Pandora app since they developed their own AVRCP v1.3 implementation within Pandora.

Newest version of Google Music *is* transmitting metadata.

I picked up an HTC One over the weekend, and I'm receiving data on both on my `12 3i & `12 Tundra. Unfortunately I can't tell you at this moment if the CX-5 is compatible (both those two examples give hope), but if it's dire I'll be happy to set it up later this evening.

Currently, Android kernel does not support AVRCP v1.3 which is responsible to display metadata information like the artist name. As presented at Google I/0 2013, android API level 18 (which will be available in a few months), will support AVRCP v1.3.

It is possible to see the artist name using Pandora app since they developed their own AVRCP v1.3 implementation within Pandora.

Obviously, Samsung had done some work in this area since Google Play shows metadata in my CX-5.

For S4:
The AVRCPv1.3 bluetooth profile is present in the stack, so any application that supports it should work.
Pandora option in the car works great with metadata, stations, and controls working as expected. It also turns on the app on the phone by itself.
I removed Google Play Music because after the latest update (following the streaming service announcement) it started always running on the phone using 40MB while never being used.

The S3 has no issue with displaying artist/track information via Bluetooth either, other than the aforementioned lack of the track timer working. I've tested this with both Google Music and Amazon. I haven't ever used the stock music player.

2014 CX5 Touring

I have just got an Samsung S4. it connects to the car via Bluetooth and shows the information of songs (Pandora and music player). it seems working but cannot hear anything except when receiving or placing phone calls.

I increased the phone volume (Bluetooth and Media volumes) also but still no sound. can anyone have any suggestions?

thanks.

Not attempting to hi-jack the thread by any means: but I think you guys will like this:

If you put your S4 in car mode via bluetooth locations; then turn on the "wake up command" with voice activation. You can wake up your car-mode S4 by speaking your wake up command into the CX-5 bluetooth speaker. It will then also communicate back to you via the in-car sound.

This requires you to NOT currently be streaming any audio from the bluetooth stack. It also requires the S4 NOT to have a lock screen (swipe only).

It is VERY useful to have. I use it almost every time I am in the car. My wake up command is "computer" because I am a Star Trek fan.

Me: Computer
Phone/Car: <beep> say a command
Me: Do I have any text messages?
Phone/Car: You have a message from <person>, it reads "Hey, whats up?". Do you want to send a reply?
Me: Yes, reply "I am driving, give me a call if you need.
Phone/Car: Do you want to send this message now?
Me: Yes.
Phone/car: Message sent.

Me: What is the weather like today?
Phone/Car: <states forecast>

I haven't played with all functions but it is pretty awesome.

hijacker! Such a cool feature!! :)

Not attempting to hi-jack the thread by any means: but I think you guys will like this:

If you put your S4 in car mode via bluetooth locations; then turn on the "wake up command" with voice activation. You can wake up your car-mode S4 by speaking your wake up command into the CX-5 bluetooth speaker. It will then also communicate back to you via the in-car sound.

This requires you to NOT currently be streaming any audio from the bluetooth stack. It also requires the S4 NOT to have a lock screen (swipe only).

It is VERY useful to have. I use it almost every time I am in the car. My wake up command is "computer" because I am a Star Trek fan.

Me: Do I have any text messages?
Phone/Car: You have a message from <person>, it reads "Hey, whats up?". Do you want to send a reply?
Me: Yes, reply "I am driving, give me a call if you need.
Phone/Car: Do you want to send this message now?
Me: Yes.
Phone/car: Message sent.

Me: What is the weather like today?
Phone/Car: <states forecast>

I haven't played with all functions but it is pretty awesome.

Went with the Galaxy S4 thru AT&T. Phone paired well. Pandora sync'd fine and displays artist info as well as continuous song progress. Then, went to Spotify via Bluetooth. Recognized it and played tracks, but not displaying artist or song progress. Wondering if anyone else has had success with Spotify. I appreciate the assistance as I am quite the newbie when it comes to this car audio technology.

Went with the Galaxy S4 thru AT&T. Phone paired well. Pandora sync'd fine and displays artist info as well as continuous song progress. Then, went to Spotify via Bluetooth. Recognized it and played tracks, but not displaying artist or song progress. Wondering if anyone else has had success with Spotify. I appreciate the assistance as I am quite the newbie when it comes to this car audio technology.

I've noticed the S4 bluetooth stack acts significantly different than the iPhone.

The metadata is transmitted via AVRCP 1.3+. This has been developed for iPhone for quite awhile and is one of the "selling points" at least for me in an iPhone.

Android/Google has just recently announced higher end development for AVRCP 1.3+ on Android 4.2.2+ but it has not been updated on the stack yet (meaning it's not there and active).

In short... Pandora implemented a software workaround that submits the metadata over bluetooth. This does not exist in Spotify yet (albiet many threads and feature requests by users). The people at XDA have been working on editing the APK, but only do so if you are experienced on your phone:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2081475

Eventually the android OS will do this natively.. But not yet.

Hope this helps!

Thanks for the information. I guess I will wait oh so patiently (eek2)

I've noticed the S4 bluetooth stack acts significantly different than the iPhone.

The metadata is transmitted via AVRCP 1.3+. This has been developed for iPhone for quite awhile and is one of the "selling points" at least for me in an iPhone.

Android/Google has just recently announced higher end development for AVRCP 1.3+ on Android 4.2.2+ but it has not been updated on the stack yet (meaning it's not there and active).

In short... Pandora implemented a software workaround that submits the metadata over bluetooth. This does not exist in Spotify yet (albiet many threads and feature requests by users). The people at XDA have been working on editing the APK, but only do so if you are experienced on your phone:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2081475

Eventually the android OS will do this natively.. But not yet.

Hope this helps!

Has anyone noticed that the even though the battery on the gs4 is 100 percent full my display only shows the battery at half? Other than that it pairs and works flawlessly with Pandora Spotify and Google music.

Back