RX-8 FAQs & New User Guide *Read through this before you post a question!*

So I'm looking at buying an 04 RX8 with 82K miles on it, but i have some questions.

How long does a clutch usually last before it needs to be replaced?

What's is involved in putting in a new one?

Thanks
A clutch is a wear item, so how long it lasts depends almost entirely on how you drive the car. I have 105K miles on my clutch at this time with no slipping, and I can be hard on my clutch at times.

Installing a clutch is pretty easy on an RX8. Remove the drive shaft, some support brackets and maybe part of the exhaust, then drop the trans and replace the clutch. Nothing to it. A lot easier than a typical FWD car for sure.

Last edited:
A lot of good info here. Need to ask a question from the expert residents.

Firtst is proper to introduce myself
I am Luis located in San Antonio I dont own an RX8 I do have a 1st gen RX7.
My friend does have a 04 RX8 and has a problem.
He took his car to a shop where it was diagnosed as a bad Powertrain control module.
Thanks to the info here I was able to locate a part number with ease ... great Job Guys
The car salled and currently dont start.

Is this common on RX8? Could it be a relay to the PCM .. I just cant see a PCM failure as common? How hard will be to locate one , or best place to buy one??

Any info is welcomed
Thanks

PCM failure is not common, I've never heard a case of it before with an RX8 (I'm sure it does happen, I just can't think of a case off hand). It is much more likely that at some point during the diagnosis either your friend or the shop where he had his car drove it for a short time and didn't let it warm up enough before shutting it off. If this is the case RX8's are very prone to flooding. Once that happens there are a variety of other problems that can be caused if the car is not hanbdled properly. There is a de-flooding procedure in the owners manual taht is somethimes sucessfull. Try that first. See THIS THREAD for some recent discussion about flooded RX8's.

If the car will still not start try the procedure recomended by chiefmg in the other thread.

After that you might want to look at the Ignition Coils. they should be replaced sooner that your friend might think anyhow. See the other hyperlink in my sig for details.

Good luck, let us know if you have more questions.

Hey everybody I want to see if anybody can help me out I just got a 2007 Grand touring Mazda RX8 and its having trouble accelerating it's doing 0-60 in 11seconds the acceleration really kicks in after the car hits about 5,000 rpm I just changed the spark plugs and it helped a little anybody know what I might have to do to fix this?

Fault codes PO350 and PO610 came up on the scan tool for Rx8. Any advice on how to replace the ignition coils? Thanks

power loss when hot with rattling sound

I have a '04 automatic model at 71k. recently it has developed powerloss when climbing a hilly road with a protesting rattling sound that gets louder when i press down the throttle and the check engine light is on.

I changed all the ignition parts, plugs, coils, cables but the symptoms persists.

Please what else can i do?

I have a '04 automatic model at 71k. recently it has developed powerloss when climbing a hilly road with a protesting rattling sound that gets louder when i press down the throttle and the check engine light is on.

I changed all the ignition parts, plugs, coils, cables but the symptoms persists.

Please what else can i do?

Hi... I am getting these fault codes from diagnostics P0352, P2504, P0353, P0351 even though I just changed all the ignition parts after the CEL came on.

My car is a 2004 RX8 with a mileage of 72,000km. The car loses power especially when climbing a steep road and have this constant croaking sound that gets louder when i try to accelerate up a hilly road.

Please what do you advise i do?

My first guess with the symptoms you are reporting would be a bad catalectic converter. this is not uncommon and could certainly cause exactly what you are seeing, check that first.

Back